Author Topic: Greenbrae Loaning Dumfries  (Read 40895 times)

Offline 777dixie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenbrae Loaning Dumfries
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 03 October 09 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Kojak, and all at Greenbrae forum, i am totally new to forum I found it by accident while trying to find out about a subject about the loaning, I through illness attend a gym class for rehab to breathing, and to show how small a world it is met up with a face from the past, in fact the daughter of the late "kiddie" Houston  the grandfather of the present owner of JB Houston's which was originally owned by Blaw McLaughlin & Kiddie Houston in ninety something, I started my working life as first message boy when the shop opened, enough ,the question I am trying to answer is prior to the shop opening where was the butchers shop in greenbrae loaning?, my memory tell's me that it was carried out from the first little cottage on the left hand side as you enter from the Lockerbie road( the shop now has a car park there, there was the cottage then a gate ,high wall and outbuilding with a sloping roof and if i recall the owner was either Jimmy or Wully Swan? who had a brother at the farm at the bottom of the loaning, I, by the way lived at Ivy Cottage across from the shop and remember all the names I have read in the forum ie. the Cannon's, Currie's, Johnstone's,The Goldies in Woodbine cottage,the Wilson's Father played goallie for Clyde FC, Goodwin's shop in Lockerbie rd, I could go on and on , in G/B Place Etc, Etc and all points I was born and raised there from 1942 until 1968 when I got married and moved on,but would appreciate if someone could help with an answer to the butcher's baffle

Offline 777dixie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 03 October 09 16:20 BST (UK) »
Kojak can I edit that I said ninty something should have been fifty something ,its an age thing ::)

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 October 09 19:08 BST (UK) »
hello dixie, perhaps you can remember my family of Owen, my dad was Harry and my mother Jean we lived at number 3 and and number 4 Lindsay Place, my grandmother lived at no. 3 and we in no. 4, my dad was in the T.A. My best friend was Bryden Goldie.We regularly used to take tattie peelings to Mr. Swan and get apples in exchange. I left Dumfries in 1959 and moved to Liverpool with my family, it was just as Beeching was wielding his axe on the railway, my dad was working as a guard on the railway. Obviously I have lots of memories, regards stoop.

Offline 777dixie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 04 October 09 12:27 BST (UK) »
Stoop Hi, Dixie here thanks for the reply I'm struggling with the name Owen but I went to school with Beth Goldie, you say you left 1959, my dad worked on the railway as a driver and I was the last apprentice fitter before the shed's were closed by Beeching I got out just before and went to ICI, you may have been there at the time I spoke about Re the Butchers have you any memories of that bit I'm sure  that I am correct but you like someone else to agree with you. Cheers speak soon, Dixie

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 04 October 09 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Dixie, my recollection of the butchers is that it has always occupied the position that it is in today . That suggests that maybe just a couple of years before it had been located in the first building as you came into Greenbrae Loaning. I was a couple of years younger than Beth so did not play with her, my friends were Bryden , Andy Wilson, Charlie Mckee, and the Turnbull twins. Regards stoop alias Roger.

Offline redspookhunter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 11 October 09 08:53 BST (UK) »

Hi Dixie and the rest of the Greenbrae Gang !

I'm just back online after getting married - see link

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,405303.msg2736707.html#msg2736707

I will have a look (Dixie) through the print outs of the valuation rolls and see if the butchers shop moved...

Best regards,

Kojak

.<br />COTHER bedminster glos <br />WADLEY bedminster glos<br />SMITH bridgewater somerset <br />STAFFORD wexford ireland<br />

ALSO MARRIED TO KOJAK !!!!

Offline 777dixie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 12 October 09 12:29 BST (UK) »
Kojak Hi, still trying to get used to these hit names but will get there I would appreciate any help with the question re butcher's shop, I lived across from the shop in Ivy Cottage and although very young can remember my old granny sending me for meat to the gate next to the cottage when you got inside the gate it opened up to a yard with a lean-to building on your right hand side and the back door to the house on the left, the butchering was done in the building to the right, and the as now shop was only single story then mind goes blank on what the shop was used for???. thanks Bert (AKA, 777dixie)

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Bert,

I will endeavour to look through my valuation roll copies this weekend - probably on Sunday.  Will post my findings.  The roll records may indicate when the butcher shop location changed etc.

Best regards,

Kenny
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline 777dixie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 15 October 09 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Kenny would appreciate any info at all on the shop, as said I go to gym with the present owner's aunt and I was the first message boy when I was still at Noblehill School. cheers,
                                                                                                 Bert