Author Topic: Greenbrae Loaning Dumfries  (Read 40988 times)

Offline flower power

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenbrae Loaning Dumfries
« Reply #27 on: Monday 26 October 09 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I lived in Greenbrae Loaning for 15 years, and remember well Bryden and Beth Goldie, Roger Owen who had a young brother, (but I can't remember his name) also the Cannon family, The Turnbull twins Ian and Allan, who lived in Kirkowens Street, but spent much of their time at their Grannie's house ( she was Mrs Young who had a daughter Margaret)  the Currie family, and the Johnstone's too, and the Dickson family.  I also remember most of the families who lived in Greenbrae Place and of course Kiddie Houston the butcher, his sons John and Bert (newspaper reporter) and let's not forget Bob Goodwin's shop just round the corner on the Lockerbie Road. 

Offline 777dixie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Flower Power Hi, Good to here from you its a small world now, I am pleased to here that you remember all the folks at greenbrae especially the Dicksons ( Thats me I lived at Ivy cottage 1942- 1968 what 15 years were you there? ) I can remember G/B Place when it was a field and belonged to Swan the farmer at the bottom of the loaning and the the Blackburn all metal houses were built I can remember all the first occupants as our back garden joined the field, now live in the Kettleholm area of Lockerbie. Bert (777dixie)

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi all can you all remember the monumental masons at the bottom of the Loaning( Harness). I have photograph of the party held for the Queens coronation it was in the field of John Swan at the back of the cottages down the loaning. As a young lad I remember the time  we went train spotting from the Georgetown bridge, waiting for the Thames Clyde express at six every evening. I n winter it was sliding down the loaning on the ice wearing our tackety boots. Going to the Lochar Moss collecting wild flowers with our parents and picking brambles in Autumn. Halloween was always so special as it seemed most adults had made treacle toffee or fudge and when we were invited indoors there was chappit tatties and hidden sixpences. Money did not come into it, but enough sweets given to last until Christmas. Sorry about the sentimentality but I do believe as children we had it good regards stoop.

Offline 777dixie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Stoop Hi Dixie here great to read your words and memories of Greenbrae, Sammy Harkness sculptor and his brother the electrician Wully ( went on to be QOS chairman) Iain Mc Chestney (nutty ) was a spark and played for Queens, The prty you refer to was it not held the lane up to the field at the bottom of the loaning, and the Glendinnings lived in the next house the son was in the navy I think?.Its great how they all flood back, do you remember Mathie Coid He stayed just at the lamp post across from the Teanans ( he had two Peg leg's and they did not bend at the knee,  worked at the gassworks in Brooms road,I can remember being sent for coke for the fire and creosote for the shed, cheer's. Bert (777dixie )

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dixie, the Coids lived next door to us, we lived at 3, and 4 . I have a recollection of a Peggy Coid who tragically died young of cancer. Regards stoop. I can remember him.

Offline flower power

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Bert I think will be Bert Dickson who had  brothers Tony and Logan?  Tony lives not far from me and is married to Christine. I see Logan occasionally, walking his dog on the Annan Road.

Lynda Cannon did have red hair, as did her sisters Anne and Irene, while Susan had fair hair. Sad to say Lynda died earlier this year and I met up with her sisters and family at her funeral.

I also remember that Mr Johnstone (Schooner) made haggis for the butchers.  His son Stanford had a pub in Dumfries and his daughter Ruby also lives fairly near me in Georgetown. There was another  daughter, but I can't remember her name.

That's all for now folks .   Flower Power

Offline flower power

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 30 October 09 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, it's flower power again!

I lived in Greenbrae Loaning from 1950 to 1967, so in fact it was 17 years, not 15 as I previously said.

Didn't know that the land the new council houses were built on belonged to the Carson's.  That's interesting!

I believe the house the Carson's lived in now belongs to Kathleen Scaife, who was brought up by her aunt Miss Wilson, who ran a small private children's nursery just across the road from there.

I remember when the new park at Noblehill was built and the diggers etc were there creating the football pitches.

We used to ride our bikes up and down the paths in the older park, I remember the swings and the maypole.

All our games were played in the road -  hopscotch (beds we called them) marbles, hula hoops, rounders, tennis ( with a line drawn in chalk for the net), roller skates, slides (on the ice, as you said).  We could do that then as the volume of traffic was much less than today.

Aye, it was  grand  to be a child at that time.  We didn't have much, but we didn't weary and were never bored, we made our own entertainment. Happy days!   

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 30 October 09 15:43 GMT (UK) »
I attended Noblehill school from 1951 till 1958 and then moved on to Marchmount. I remember some of the teachers names at primary school , there was the head Andy Young, Mrs. Colthart and Mrs. Sturgeon, I still have school photos from then and remember a few of their names. I recall that after heavy rain the lowest part of the school yard used to flood and make it difficult to access the dinner hall. The Christmas party involved the parents taking in party food and cmaking the decorations. Regards stoop.

Offline dogilover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 01 November 09 22:01 GMT (UK) »
 ::)hi scoop. i lived in greenbrae from my birth in 1953 until approx 1965 when my family moved from the area. i went to marchmount after noblehill. indeed i remember the coids cannons, the butchers and the sweetie shop but whatever happened to mr austin (i think) from lockerbie road who was a chiropodist and his wife and daughter rene whom i used to play with??? there also used to be an old mans shelter in the old park and an allotments at the bottom to the right of the park. its been great catching up with a few old memories of my neighbour on the loaning.....dogilover