Author Topic: Help needed/will etc !!Wellington area  (Read 2254 times)

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
Help needed/will etc !!Wellington area
« on: Thursday 30 October 08 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters,
We are trying to piece together the details of a large amount of money left to our Dad in the 1950's by a relative from New Zealand.
We have already had help with three wills and found no bequests to Great Britain in those. We now need to find the will that left all these substantial bequests to various relatives including our Dad. Can anyone help?
The name we want to find is the will of John West Egginton late of Levin New Zealand. He died in 1936 and his wife died in 1950 (Emily Caroline Egginton), but she did not leave anything to our Dad in her will. The money was distibuted in 1954 and was 38,000 pounds-a huge amount then.There were 11 bequests to various relatives in Britain and Canada.
If anyone can uncover this will we would be very grateful indeed.We believe the will is held in Wellington and is dated August 1954.There are no relatives to our knowledge left in New Zealand. Our great aunt Mary Harriet Beatrice Morrisey nee West was the last living relative and she was from Masterton. We think she may have claimed this estate on behalf of the relatives, but we are confused to say the least.
Emily left her estate to her brother George Bullard and any daughters he had, so we don't know where our people come in to this.Any details of these people would also be useful.
He lived in Haitaiti , Wellington.
Thanks for your time and efforts in this matter,
Kind Regards
Nooshie

Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed/will etc !!Wellington area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 October 08 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Details for will
NZ Probates

Name
EGGINTON Emily Caroline
Place
Levin
Occupation
Widow
Death Date

Court
Palmerston North
Archives Reference
AAOY W3298 0048/50
Probate Number
0048/50
Filed Date
23 Feb 1950
Type
Will
Comments

Further enquiries to
Archives NZ - Wellington

NZ Probates

Name
EGGINTON John West
Place
Levin
Occupation
Farmer
Death Date

Court
Wellington
Archives Reference
AAOM 6029 59496
Probate Number
Filed Date
17 Oct 1936
Type
Will
Comments

Further enquiries to
Archives NZ - Wellington

Bye
Althea

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 October 08 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - we are probably confusing the issue a bit!   We already have some details of Emily Caroline's Will supplied by a Rootschatter some time ago.   We are now looking for the Will of John West Egginton.  We are trying to establish where the money came from that came to our dad in 1954, as there was no specific bequest in Emily's Will in 1950.     Of course, the original Rootschatter may have left out large portions of the Will!   Many thanks anyway and we hope we can get to the bottom of this family mystery!

Offline Thamesite2017

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 October 08 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Re the comment on no relatives left in NZ
There are families who are related as these names have been put onto the NZ First families collection that is detailed on the NZSG Index 5

You can see the names online at
http://www.genealogy.org.nz/Search_31.aspx enter EGGINTON
Bye
Althea

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 October 08 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much - used the link, but to get any more information as to the family relationships on the First Families' list of names and who submitted the names we have to join the New Zealand Society of Genealogists which has a hefty joining fee which is a bit steep for us during this time of "credit crunch"!  Oh well perhaps someone who is a member of the NZSG (and also a Rootschatter) could ask on our behalf - a bit cheeky but if you don't ask, you don't get!   Many thanks for the information in the meantime!!!

Offline Thamesite2017

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 October 08 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Sorry a member is not allowed to get certif and that sort of info for non-members, we would get a total block on requests. So sorry it defeats the whole purpose of the donations.

NZSG ar ususally more than happy to accomodate one off requests and if you gave your name to them they may be able to contact person on your behalf
(re the hefty fee, if you have NZ research to do the value for $50 odd is incredible)

Try contacting NZSG, its worth a try
http://www.genealogy.org.nz/Contact_NZSG_15.aspx

Otherwise Try just EGGINTON researchers on as many lists as poss
Goodluck
Bye
Althea

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 October 08 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for reply.
Incidentally-it is all relative isn't it? I cannot spare even a little money on my wages, so I cannot pay anyone to do research for me. I will just have to leave it-
Regards
Sally