Author Topic: Conachars of Logierait  (Read 5031 times)

Offline Damside Damsel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Conachars of Logierait
« on: Thursday 30 October 08 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find further information on my Conachar family - various spellings.

Grizel Conachar - daughter of Patrick Conachar of Croft of Ballyouken, Logierait married James Campbell 30th July 1774 - he was the son of John Campbell and Margaret Cameron and was born July 1736 Logierait. Father named on OPR marriage entry

I cannot find a birth/baptism for her!
Possibility of parents being Patrick Conachar and Grissel Cameron/McInroy but, as yet, no proof.
Her children were: - surname Campbell - all born Ballychandy, Logierait
John 1775
Margaret 1775
James 23/11/1778 - my ancestor died Ballychandy 19th March 1861 - married to Margaret Robertson
Alexander 1781
Patrick 1784
Archibald 1791

She obviously died after 1791

Any help of any description would be greatly appreciated

Penny:Dunn:Stewart of Dunning & Auchterarder
Gordon:McLaren:Campbell:Robertson:Livingston:Conachar:Cameron:McLeish:Duff:Kennedy:Dewar:Fleming:

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Conachars of Logierait
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 November 08 22:06 GMT (UK) »
You will find burials for a number of your Conachars and Campbells listed here:   

http://www.npfhg.org/LogieraitBurials.pdf

Among them are:

Pat Conacher (sic) buried 6 Oct 1765/address Easterlyne
Thomas Connacher (sic) buried 26 March 1786/address Croftsoul Tullienett
Charles Connacher buried 2 August 1801

John Campbell buried 22 May 1785/address Leigh of Pitcastle
Mrs. Campbell buried 16 April 1780/address Pitcastle
Alexander Campbell buried 31 June 1805/address Middle Balyorchan

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline steve4969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 July 09 17:07 BST (UK) »
I have have a Catherine Connacher Marrying into my tree, In croft of balagowan Logierait  1784, unfortunately i dont have any info on her ancesters

steve

Offline WarPony

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 May 12 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

Grizell Connacher, who married James Campbell, 30 Jul 1774, Logierait Parish, did not die after her last son was born in 1791, in fact it was James Campbell her husband who left her a widow with a young family.

Grizell then married for a 2nd time to Robert Leslie 12 Apr 1794, Logierait Parish and this couple had;
     Robert Leslie, b. 8 Feb 1796, chr. 9 Feb 1796 Logierait Parish
     Donald Leslie, b.15 Jan 1800, chr. 16 Jan 1800 Logierait Parish

It could certainly be that this 'Robert Leslie' becomes the step-father to Grizell's Campbell children. At least one of her 'Campbell children' had a positive relationship and was fond
of Robert Leslie (read below).

My husband's line comes from Grizell's son, James Campbell (in Nether Balechandy) who married Margaret Robertson, 10 Apr 1802, Logierait Parish.

Marjory Campbell, b. 4 April 1803, chr. 7 April 1803 Logierait Parish
    James Campbell, b. 14 Feb 1805, chr. 17 Feb 1805 Logierait Parish
    Alexander Campbell b. June 1807 Neither Balechandie, chr. 21 June 1807, Logierait Parish
    Patrick Campbell b. 12 Oct 1809 Neither Balechandie, chr. 15 Oct 1809 Logierait Parish
    Duncan Campbell b. 2 Jan 1812 Neither Balechandie, chr. 4 Jan 1812 Logierait Parish
    Robert Leslie Campbell b. 31 Aug 1812, chr. 2 Sept 1812, Dunkeld, Perthshire

Why Robert Leslie Campbell was christened in Dunkeld is anyone's guess, but he is their son,
and he has been linked incorrectly in other public family trees to a father called Robert Campbell of Middletoun Kerse and Janet Guild both of Logie and Alva Parishes.

Scots Census 1841 - James Campbell is aged 62 years old, b. abt 1779 Perthshire, Scotland and lives at Nether Balachandy in the Logierait Parish and he is a 'Mason' also living with him is Jean Campbell aged 20 years b. 1821, Perthshire Scotland and she also is a 'Mason', Donald Ferguson as 'Lodger' is aged 20 years b.1821, Perthshire and is a 'Teacher Lodger'.

If anyone has anything of Robertson's in Logierait Parish I would like to hear from you, as I have found searching for this 'Margaret Robertson's' parents difficult, as there were about 5 of them all born in the same period up at Logierait Parish.

Robert Leslie Campbell (Weaver) is my husband's direct ancestor and he married Helen Sharp, 7 Nov 1830, in Blackford Parish. They had Ann, William, George, Robert, John and Jane Campbell.  William, John and a son of Ann's George Templeton all went to NZ on the 'Canterbury' leaving Glasgow in 1784 to arrive Lyttleton, Christchurch, New Zealand.  They were all involved in the Kaiapoi Woollen Mills in it's heyday and their passage was paid for by the New Zealand Government of the day.

Bye Lindah Campbell
New Zealand

Offline juleznz

• RootsChat Member
  • who am i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 May 17 08:39 BST (UK) »
The issue ive always had is Robert Leslie CAMPBELLS birthdate within 9mths of his older brother
he is my ancestor also thru son william

Hello there,

Grizell Connacher, who married James Campbell, 30 Jul 1774, Logierait Parish, did not die after her last son was born in 1791, in fact it was James Campbell her husband who left her a widow with a young family.

Grizell then married for a 2nd time to Robert Leslie 12 Apr 1794, Logierait Parish and this couple had;
     Robert Leslie, b. 8 Feb 1796, chr. 9 Feb 1796 Logierait Parish
     Donald Leslie, b.15 Jan 1800, chr. 16 Jan 1800 Logierait Parish

It could certainly be that this 'Robert Leslie' becomes the step-father to Grizell's Campbell children. At least one of her 'Campbell children' had a positive relationship and was fond
of Robert Leslie (read below).

My husband's line comes from Grizell's son, James Campbell (in Nether Balechandy) who married Margaret Robertson, 10 Apr 1802, Logierait Parish.

Marjory Campbell, b. 4 April 1803, chr. 7 April 1803 Logierait Parish
    James Campbell, b. 14 Feb 1805, chr. 17 Feb 1805 Logierait Parish
    Alexander Campbell b. June 1807 Neither Balechandie, chr. 21 June 1807, Logierait Parish
    Patrick Campbell b. 12 Oct 1809 Neither Balechandie, chr. 15 Oct 1809 Logierait Parish
    Duncan Campbell b. 2 Jan 1812 Neither Balechandie, chr. 4 Jan 1812 Logierait Parish
    Robert Leslie Campbell b. 31 Aug 1812, chr. 2 Sept 1812, Dunkeld, Perthshire

Why Robert Leslie Campbell was christened in Dunkeld is anyone's guess, but he is their son,
and he has been linked incorrectly in other public family trees to a father called Robert Campbell of Middletoun Kerse and Janet Guild both of Logie and Alva Parishes.

Scots Census 1841 - James Campbell is aged 62 years old, b. abt 1779 Perthshire, Scotland and lives at Nether Balachandy in the Logierait Parish and he is a 'Mason' also living with him is Jean Campbell aged 20 years b. 1821, Perthshire Scotland and she also is a 'Mason', Donald Ferguson as 'Lodger' is aged 20 years b.1821, Perthshire and is a 'Teacher Lodger'.

If anyone has anything of Robertson's in Logierait Parish I would like to hear from you, as I have found searching for this 'Margaret Robertson's' parents difficult, as there were about 5 of them all born in the same period up at Logierait Parish.

Robert Leslie Campbell (Weaver) is my husband's direct ancestor and he married Helen Sharp, 7 Nov 1830, in Blackford Parish. They had Ann, William, George, Robert, John and Jane Campbell.  William, John and a son of Ann's George Templeton all went to NZ on the 'Canterbury' leaving Glasgow in 1784 to arrive Lyttleton, Christchurch, New Zealand.  They were all involved in the Kaiapoi Woollen Mills in it's heyday and their passage was paid for by the New Zealand Government of the day.

Bye Lindah Campbell
New Zealand
BIXLEY- any
SALT -Staffordshire eng
CRESSWELL -Nelson NZ Cornwall Eng

BROWN-England-Gisborne NZ Whaling connection
Scotland Interests
Fife- Fortune,Mason,Motion,Gray,
Fenwick and Loundoun Parishes-HOWIE/WYLIE/YOUNG/WOODBURN/MITCHEL
USA/British America interests
HOWLAND/VANSICKLE/TILLEY/LOTHROPP/COBB
 Canada ---MOLLARD-