Author Topic: Allen family (Colwall)  (Read 21644 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Allen family (Colwall)
« on: Thursday 30 October 08 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for anyone related to, or who possesses any information about the family of Edward Allen, born around 1803 in Colwall, Herefordshire. He was probably the son of Thomas Allen and his wife Sarah (surname unknown); possible siblings: Thomas (1802), William (1805), Mary Ann (1807), Joseph (1809), Anna Maria (1812) and perhaps Sarah (1814).

Edward married Ann (née Lewis) in 1867 (I think in Colwall) and had the following children:
Ann (1838-1843), John (1842), William Henry (1846), and Clara (1849). All from Colwall.

John married Jane Davied (from Colwall?), and according to the family Bible had:
Annie Marie (1868), Ada Mary "Dot" (1869), Ellen Jane (1870), Rose Fanny (1872-1955), William John  (1876-1960), Maria Annie (1876-1877) and Thomas (1878).

William John married Elizabeth Morris, from Leominster; parents fo Phyllis, Gerald and Elizabeth, my grandmother.

Can anyone provide me with any help? Anyone related?

Moderator comment: e-mail address removed to prevent spam and other abuse.  Please use personal message system for exchange e-mail addresses

Thanks!

Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline The snooper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Allen family (Colwall)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Cimbrio,

You have (in your second para) Edward Allen and Ann Lewis marrying in 1867 well after the birth of their children. Are you sure this is correct as I have a marriage between them  on the 26 March 1838 in Withington parish. This would make sense given the dates for the children. Incidentally it looks like both of them had been married before

If you think this marriage is correct I will look for birth dates of their kids,

The Snooper
Surnames being researched
FLORIDA/ANSTEE - Anywhere in UK,
YOUNG - Somerset and S Wales,
CLUCAS - IoM  and London,
BROOKS - Somerset and London,
MOULD - Northants,
EVEREST - Sussex,
CHARLES - S Wales,
CROSBY - London,
JAQUES - York,
FLETCHER - Welsh borders,
MAGGS - Somerset,
LAWRENCE- Pembroke,
PREECE - Herefordshire,
TAUBMAN - IoM,
CRIDLAND - Somerset,
BENGOUGH - Herefordshire,
BARTRAM - Notts and Sheffield

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi The Snooner!

Yes, my mistake, indeed Edward must have married Ann in or around 1838 since thie first child was born in the second quarter of 1838 (so Ann must have been pregnant at the time of the marriage if indeed the dates we have are correct). I had no idea they were married before, any idea who to, and if they had any issue? I'm all ears! Thanks so very much! Their children's birthdates (and absolutely anything else you may be able to provide about them) will be immesnsely appreciated!

Thanks!

::)  Cimbrio

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)

Offline The snooper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My source is an index rather than complete details so not a replacement for getting the official certificates.

For Edward and Ann it just says WDR against Edward and WD father name against Ann.

There is a marriage in West Malvern between John ALLEN and Jane DAVIS listed for 16th July 1867 which could be yours I think and then William J ALLEN marries Elizabeth MORRIS in Colwall St James on 18 Oct 1910.

I have searched in vain for any children for Ann and Edward and can find none - this does not mean they did not happen it is just that my index is NOT complete. The same goes for children of John ALLEN and Jane  and William and Elizabeth I'm afraid.

Cheers

The Snooper

Surnames being researched
FLORIDA/ANSTEE - Anywhere in UK,
YOUNG - Somerset and S Wales,
CLUCAS - IoM  and London,
BROOKS - Somerset and London,
MOULD - Northants,
EVEREST - Sussex,
CHARLES - S Wales,
CROSBY - London,
JAQUES - York,
FLETCHER - Welsh borders,
MAGGS - Somerset,
LAWRENCE- Pembroke,
PREECE - Herefordshire,
TAUBMAN - IoM,
CRIDLAND - Somerset,
BENGOUGH - Herefordshire,
BARTRAM - Notts and Sheffield

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting The Snooper!

Do you suppose that Lewis was Ann's married or birth surname? No reference to any parents, is there?

By the way, indeed the other two marriages you mention are those of my great-grandparents and my grandfather's parents, but is Jane's surname Davis or Davies? I had Davies but it might be wrong.

Is there any mention whatsoever as to their place of birth, or name of parents?

These certificates, can they be acquired anywhere? IS there a fee involved? What if I wanted to go up my family tree, searchging for Edward's ancestors, where could I go or ask?

Regards,

Cimbrio

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 16:54 GMT (UK) »
don't know if you have this already christening record
name; edward allen
date; 25th sept 1803
place; colwall,hereford
parents; thomas/sarah
ext.rec.IGI

there is also a submitted record that gives the parents as thomas allen and sarah jones.
will see if i can find the marriage.
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 17:17 GMT (UK) »
there are these christenings attributed to thomas/sarah
name thomas allen
7th march 1802
william alle
about 20th june 1805
marian allen
26th dec 1807.
joseph allen
19th nov 1809.
then there are also these possibly part of the same family.
sarah allen
7th july 1814
margaret allen
about 12th oct 1817
henry allen
23rd may 1819.
robert allen
9th sept 1821.
all are ext rec IGI

found a submitted entry for the marriage
do not know how reliable it is
thomas allen birth about 1776 married sarah jones
at colwall on 29th may 1801

cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks wozzle!

I am quite impressed!

I recently checked online (I can't remember which source, but it was easy to find - christenings, marriages and burials in Colwall in certain spans of time) and some of the dates and children you mention were indeed on there; however, I don't think the latter children are issue of the same couple because they live in a different place (maybe you can check for yourself). I did find a Thomas Allen christened in 1760 and was under the impression he was Edward's father, but the marriage date of 1801 would prove me wrong. Can it be assured that Edward was the son of Thomas Allen and Sarah Jones? He was the only Edward christened in 1803/1804 in Colwall, and he was certainly the son of A Thomas Allen and Sarah...

Thanks for all your help!

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 18:01 GMT (UK) »
all of the children including the later ones were christened in the same place all were children of a thomas and sarah allen
maybe the later ones were the children of a different thomas and sarah allen
i cannot say for certain
all i know is that they are all down on the IGI with the same batch number in colwall,lancs
maybe SKS with a better knowledge of the IGI or with access to colwall parish registers would know.
mick.
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn