Author Topic: Allen family (Colwall)  (Read 21665 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Allen family (Colwall)
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 26 June 10 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hello all again!

I'm trying to fathom another mystery.

My great-great-grandfather's parents were Edward Allen (Colwall 1803-Colwall 1889) and Ann. Edward and Ann married in Withington, Herefordshire, in 1838. Her name at the time was Ann Lewis, she was a widow and her father on the certificate is Thomas Williams, so she must have been married before.

I think she must have been born c. 1808; I have an idea she came from Colwall but why then would she marry in Withington? I'd like to find out who her mother was and any more information about her ancestors.

Would anyone be so kind as to try and find out anything more about her? When she died for instance, her mother's name and so on?

Regards! :)
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 26 June 10 13:33 BST (UK) »
possible
age is about right and right dist
she appears on 1861 census with husband but is not on 1871 census
deathg index
name; ann allen
y.o.r. 1867
qtr; jul/aug/sept
dist; ledbury
vol; 6a
page; 245
age at death; 58
est birth year; 1809
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 26 June 10 13:45 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you again Wozzle!

Thanks for the date, I have an idea I had it jotted down somewhere or another, but now I've included it on the tree.

Do the census entries reveal whether she's from Colwall or Withington? I wonder if those two locations are near one another...

Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 26 June 10 14:20 BST (UK) »
1851 states born in colwall aged 43
1861 states born in colwall aged 53
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 26 June 10 14:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Wozzle. That would confirm it I suppose. I'm having a go at another branch of the family, finding out quite a lot of information. In September hopefully I'll go to England and I'll try to search for records...

Thanks!

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 21 November 16 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Cimbrio,
You have (in your second para) Edward Allen and Ann Lewis marrying in 1867 well after the birth of their children. Are you sure this is correct as I have a marriage between them  on the 26 March 1838 in Withington parish. This would make sense given the dates for the children. Incidentally it looks like both of them had been married before
If you think this marriage is correct I will look for birth dates of their kids,
The Snooper

Just a correction to the above: turns out the marriage above is wrong - Edward Allen and his wife Ann did not marry in Withington, but in Claines (Worcestershire). Not yet sure why they married there as no immediate connections to the place other than Edward's sister marrying there in 1838. Edward and Ann Rodway married in 1835 - this much is confirmed by their children's birth certificates which gives mother's maiden name as Rodway, not Williams/Lewis. Mystery solved. :)