Author Topic: Allen family (Colwall)  (Read 21643 times)

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Allen family (Colwall)
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 February 10 11:38 GMT (UK) »
i hav not read all your postings on this topic
but here is the 1871 census
do not know whether it clarifies anything
RG10/2681/94/22
john maisey age 60. b. coddington,herefordshire. occ. grocer. head
maria maisey age 56. b. kempsey,worcs. wife
anne allen age 2. b. colwall,herefordshire
living at;victoria house,colwall,herefordshire
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 February 10 16:56 GMT (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pinks/herefordshire/colwall/Marriages_1754-1933.htm

Maria Davis, widow of John Davis, married John Maisey, that's why she brought up her eldest granddaughter.

Thanks very much for your help!
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 14 June 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

me again!

I was wondering if anyone can help me find out what became of Clara Allen, my great-great-grandfather's youngest sister. I know she was christened in April 1840 in Colwall, Herefordshire. I can't find her marriage or death in Herefordshire, which could suggest (I suppose) she emigrated. I don't know if she is on later censuses (1851, 1861 and so on). I'd be grateful if anyone can give me any proof of what became of her, if she died or married. Thanks very much!
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 17:50 BST (UK) »
had a look cannot see a birth reg in herefordshire between 1837-1841 for her
the nearest one i can see was a birth in 1849 of clara allen regd in ledbury which is the reg dist for colwall
she is on the 1851 census daughter of edward and ann allen in colwall,herefordshire
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Wozzle,

sorry, my mistake, I meant to type 1849, not 1840.

So she's alive in 1851; is she still alive in 1861 and after, do you know? I can't find her in 1881 on Familysearch though, nor a death or marriage in the county of Herefordshire of a Clara Allen, that's why I presume she may have changed county or emigrated. But this is all conjecture, I really can't find anything about her yet.

Thanks for your help :)

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 18:41 BST (UK) »
still with parents in 1861
RG9/1808/44/24
with her widowed father in 1871 though age down as 32 not 22
RG10/2681/86/6
there is a marriage in 1871 in worcester of a clara allen and edward tyler
the couple are on 1881 clara is born in colwall 1851 so possibly yours
RG11/2483/66/36
if you want the full entries then i will post them here
(but it will have to be tomorrow have to go to work now)
unless SKS posts them for you
mick
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 19:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Wozzle!

It looks like it is her; I think Colwall is on the edge of the Herefordhsire and Worcestershire border, perhaps that's why I couldn't find her.

I think Anne Allen, Clara's mother, passed away in the Sep. quarter of 1867, so that would fit with the fact that Edward was a widower in 1871, and that his daughter was living there. Why the age is 32 and not 22 is a mystery but then again ages got muddled up often. I imagine a marriage certificate would confirm if the one who got married in 1871 was indeed the daughter of Edward's. If you have any further information I'd be grateful if you could display it (after you've got back to work naturally!). Thanks a lot for your help, first news I've got about Clara ever!

Greetings,

cimbrio

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 20:55 BST (UK) »
I've found more things on Clara's family.

I've found she married Edward Devereux/Devoreux Tyler on September 24th 1871 in Worcester. He was the son of Samuel Tyler, of Worcester, and Sarah Susanna Tyler née Devereux, of Hanley. Samuel was a taylor, Sarah Susanna a laundress.

Edward was christened in January 1850, and he passed away in 1897. I haven't found Clara's death yet. Their three daughters accounted for are Florence E(leanor?) born around 1872, Dorcas Emily, born in 1875, and Ethel Clara, born in 1879. I don't know what became of them, and if there were any more children. I know Edward had at least four siblings called Tabitha, Lewis, Dorcas and Ruth (rather odd names, a couple of them!).

I have a small mystery about Clara's mother, Anne. Anne and Edward Allen married in Withington Herefordshire in December 1838; she was a widow, and I've jotted down that her father was called Thomas Williams; her first husband's name was something Lewis, as she was Anne Lewis when she married. But that's all. I have a few mysteries to solve about her. Firstly, if she came from Colwall, Withington or other. Second, who was her mother, and where did Anne's parents come from. And I'd love to know if Anne had any children by her first husband, XXX Lewis. If you can fathom any of these points at all I'd be very thankful!

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 13:42 BST (UK) »
dorcas and ethel are on the 1901 census
RG13/2366/12/16
dorcas.e.tyler age 23. b. portishead,somerset. occ. fancy box maker. head(unm)
ethel.c.tyler age 21. b. ditto. occ. fancy box maker. sister(unm)
living at;10,dowry square,holy trinity,bristol,gloucs(occupying 3 rooms in the building)
reg.dist; bristol
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn