Author Topic: Henrys of Derry County - Pre 1800  (Read 36678 times)

Offline terrydoo73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henrys of Derry County - Pre 1800
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 26 September 09 10:35 BST (UK) »
I note there is a request on bbc web site from you Dr Henry and a person responded by the name of Karen Anderson.  Karen visited us as one Sunday afternoon and we did receive a Christmas card from her but since then nothing.  I would be interested to get in touch with her too!  Sorry for the numerous postings but trying to get onto PM so I can chat directly with some of you!

Offline DrHenry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 26 September 09 17:24 BST (UK) »
I'm so pleased that Birdenia made contact with you and that you are online.  Pretty much all I have to offer is in message #1 - John and Rachel Henry are my great great grandparents and I am descended by way of their son William 1804-1882, his son Charles 1842-1926, and my dad William 1872-1963.  I am into DNA and have found male 'cousins' in the same line in Australia and Canada - possibly more will come from that.  My quest is to confirm that John (b.1763) Henry's parents were Robert Henry and Mary Woodburn - to find out more about them - and then possibly on back from there.  Thanks so much for being helpful to Birdenia - I can't wait to hear what other bits of information she picked up on her trip.

Offline terrydoo73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 26 September 09 20:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for replying Dr Henry.  At least I can add another part to the tree!

Having spent most of the afternoon with my dad (who has a copy of all these messages) I have not sorted out what happened after the farm was sold to Matthew McElmoyle.  His son Henry took the farm over but was sold to my grandad, his cousin.  Matthew was not well for most of his life and died at 54 although his wife continued to live 35 years after him.  My dad says that Henry's wife seemed to accumulate debts which led them to sell the farm and after they moved off the land my grandad received a telephone call to come to their house one morning where unfortunately the wife Anna had died suddenly. 

My dad did remember the original sale documents from the McCausland estate to William Henry's father being in his possession at one time and it was very few pounds from his recollection.  Matthew did not live far away from the Henry farm at the time of purchasing it - nearer Stradreagh which is a townland above my father's farm - and he sold that piece of land to buy "Henry's".  This is always what the family referred to when they were talking about Flower Hill Farm.

Dr Henry I see you refer to John and Rachel Henry's son William - I am confused as I thought William was the son left behind in Ireland???

Offline DrHenry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 26 September 09 21:19 BST (UK) »
The son left behind - the eldest child - was John - or John Jr. - as I refer to him.  John Jr.  eventually migrated to Nova Scotia and at least some of his progeny further migrated to Australia - which is the line Phil Henry (partner Dawn Read) claims.  My g gf William was the 7th child of John and Rachel.  The sequence of John & Rachel's children, incidentally, was John Jr, Matthew, Janet, Robert, Nancy, Mary (Polly), William, James, and Rachel.  Since baby Rachel was born on Oct 20, 1809 - and John's Rachel died in 1809 - we suspect she died during or shortly after childbirth - hence the name of baby Rachel.

Offline terrydoo73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 27 September 09 19:36 BST (UK) »
I have today sat down and entered all the details contained in this site and what Birdenia has given me as well as info in the bit of the Henry book I have - just to get my head around who all is who!  It is quite confusing!  I have now worked out that the second child of John and Rachel Henry (Ann) is related to one of the couples who came to visit us twice.  I would really love to make contact with them again but I am sure that is impossible now as they are probably in their 80's now.  Also thanks to Birdenia I have made contact with Karen Anderson - thank you for that!  I am going to try and work out where she comes into the tree now.

Lastly may I apologise because I think I have broken the rules as regards naming people who are still alive in my postings - I am sorry about this and offer my sincere apologies if this has been against the rules of this website.

Offline DrHenry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 28 September 09 01:26 BST (UK) »
The Ann (b.1819) you speak of was the second child of Rachel McMillan and John Henry - and the latter was the younger brother of my gg gm Rachel Henry and the son of Matthew Henry and Jennie Long.  Presumably my gg gm Rachel Henry and her younger brother John Henry were raised at Flower Hill; presumably Rachel McMillan and Ann are only associated with Flower Hill by way of Rachel McMillan's husband John - who is Ann's father.  While my intent with the foregoing is/was to clarify the relationships and further differentiate between the two John and Rachels, rereading causes me to doubt that I have done that.  I believe Birdenia (actually her husband) is in the John Henry/Rachel McMillan line by way of their daughter Ann.  So while Birdenia's husband's line is to Matthew Henry and Jennie Long, mine is to Robert Henry and Mary Woodburn AND Matthew Henry and Jennie Long.  Now what could be clearer!  So while you are digesting (dissecting?) that, perhaps you can put me in contact with Karen Anderson and I'll attempt to similarly confuse her!  And lastly, please go slow in your apparent low expectations from those in their 80s as I am now well into that group and most (not all) of my friends consider me to still be 'with it'.

Offline maureenms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 02:19 BST (UK) »
my grandmother sarah ( saraid) Henry married dan diamond and lived in ringsend co derry. I am looking for their birthplaces and parents. sarah died around 1981 and is buried with dan her husband in st mary' s churchyard bellerin, derry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 07:34 BST (UK) »
my grandmother sarah ( saraid) Henry married dan diamond and lived in ringsend co derry. I am looking for their birthplaces and parents. sarah died around 1981 and is buried with dan her husband in st mary' s churchyard bellerin, derry
Welcome to Rootschat. The information you want to find is very recent (remember not to give details of living people here) and there are lots of Henry and Diamonds in the area so you'll need to start by checking their birth certificates for names of parents and birthplaces (townlands) to start with and then other sources like church records, 1911 census, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 08:15 BST (UK) »
Maureen,
              on 18 May Daniel Diamond married Sarah Gertrude Henry in Garvagh RC Church.

In the 1911 census there is
Bridget Henry  Ballyrogan (Glenkeen) Co.Londonderry a 50 year old widowed farmer. Married 20 yrs
Anne Mary     19
Hugh Joseph  17
Richard John  16
Catherine Agnes 14
Sarah Gertrude  12

On 2 Apr 1891 Hugh Henry married Bridget Higgins in Garvagh RC Church . These are likely to be Sarah's parents but this would need to be confirmed.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim