Author Topic: St. Leonards, Bilston - Walk by!  (Read 10190 times)

Offline judijee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. Leonards, Bilston - Walk by!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 December 08 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Willow

Yes, I'm pretty sure I got the book at St Leonard's because there's an acknowledgement at the back thanking a member of the congregation for their generosity 'in enabling the publication of this volume'.

I don't live in the west Midlands, so can only visit Bilston at odd intervals  :'( but when I do I like to visit the family grave to pay my respects - and St Leonard's has a cosy little drop-in that serves a very good coffee 'n cake.  Plus the churchwarden/sidesman (can't recall which) is an avid Wolves supporter, which always makes for an interesting conversation!!!

- judijee
ANDERTON - Solihull; BAINES - Montgomeryshire; BEASTALL - Lincolnshire; BEMBRIDGE - Nottingham; BRADLEY - Dudley; BRATT - Bilston; DABBS - Wellington, Shropshire; EYRE - Nottingham and Birmingham; FENN - Bilston; FENNYHOUSE - Staffordshire; FERRINGTON - Bilston; FITCH - Norwich; FOWLER - Bilston; GLOVER - Walsall and Birmingham; JOHNSON - Cheshire, Stoke-on-Trent, Wolverhampton, Wombourne; SHALE - Bilston; SHELTON - Wheaton Aston, Wolverhampton; TUFFT - Wolverhampton; WARD - Dudley

Offline Jamys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 December 08 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello judijee

Thankyou for the info about the slab covering the family vault - how posh is that?!!

I'd love to get my hands on a copy of the little book you mention - I wonder if the library in Bilston would have a copy for sale?  I could try the St. Leonard's.   I've tried Googling but nothing returns.  Anyone have any ideas where I might try, other than the library?

Merry Yule to all  8)
Jamys
SMITH;  HANDS;  ANDREWS;  STOPP;  Bham/Stretton/Stratford Avon
CLARKE;  STOPP;  Stretton on Dunsmore
HUMPHREYS;  WILLIAMS;  Smethwick/Woodford
WEST;  NICHOLS;  Stratford on Avon
WILLIAMS: Smethwick/W. Brom/Hanley Castle
WHITEHOUSE: W.Brom/Tipton
WINSPER;  Bilston
ADAMS;  Gun Trade
PHILLIPS; Bristol(Clifton)/Bham
LANE;  BALL;  Bristol
OLIVER: Newland
BENNETT: Smethwick/Hanley Castle/Ledbury
RICHARDS: Collycroft
STEPHENS: Newent
WELLS: Woodford
BUSBY: Steeple Aston/Abingdon/Tipton

Offline judijee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 December 08 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamys

As I told Willow, I'm almost 100% certain the book came from St Leonard's church.  It was first published in May 2003, and printed by John Price of Bilston, and is 36 pages long.  Text and photos are copyrighted to Remi Hodister.  Maybe if you give the library a ring, they must surely have a copy for reference purposes and can tell you whether it's still available.

Good luck!

- judijee

ANDERTON - Solihull; BAINES - Montgomeryshire; BEASTALL - Lincolnshire; BEMBRIDGE - Nottingham; BRADLEY - Dudley; BRATT - Bilston; DABBS - Wellington, Shropshire; EYRE - Nottingham and Birmingham; FENN - Bilston; FENNYHOUSE - Staffordshire; FERRINGTON - Bilston; FITCH - Norwich; FOWLER - Bilston; GLOVER - Walsall and Birmingham; JOHNSON - Cheshire, Stoke-on-Trent, Wolverhampton, Wombourne; SHALE - Bilston; SHELTON - Wheaton Aston, Wolverhampton; TUFFT - Wolverhampton; WARD - Dudley

Offline Jamys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 December 08 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello judijee

I'll give the library a bell - thanks for your help.

Cheers
Jamys
WINSPER;  Bilston
ADAMS;  Gun Trade
LANE;  BALL;  Bristol

Offline jim1212

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 14:55 GMT (UK) »
This is a possible.

GEORGE WINSPUR. 
Christening, 16 NOV 1834. Saint Lawrence, Darlaston Near Wolverhampton, Stafford,

Parents,
THOMAS WINSPUR. 
NANCY.

Offline Jamys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 31 December 08 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jim

Thomas Winsper and Nancy Butler married in 1828.  As my George married in 1846 I don't believe their son George is my George.

Many thanks for your time.

Regards
Jamys
WINSPER;  Bilston
ADAMS;  Gun Trade
LANE;  BALL;  Bristol

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 01:13 GMT (UK) »
didnt know they had all those commemorative plaques on the floor there!, I ought to go and see if theres any of my family... might even finally get somewhere w my Smiths! (the line of the tree ive avoided in the main because of how difficult i know it will be w that surname!) ,my smiths were all Bilstonians as far as i know
Smith, Tolley, Griffiths,
Monaghan, Richards, Clark, Clarke,
Brazier, Filben, Fibben,Filbin
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, Bilston, Kent, London, Middlesex

Offline Jumbled Jim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamys, I don't think that this George Winsper is yours, BUT, he was a gunlock filer and I notice you had an Adams married to a Winsper who had connections with the gun trade, so I wonder if there might be a connection?

William Winsper (b1809, Darlsaton, widowed, gunlock filer. His father George Winsper also a gunlock filer, aged 55, Woods Bank, Darlaston (RG11 2817/29/6)

I have Jemima Winsper who married Samuel Higgs in 1850 at Coseley Christchurch. I think she was born in 1827 but christened in Bilston 1st Feb 1829. Her parents were William and Sarah, and the 1841 census shows Jemima aged 14 living in Highfields, Sedgley, with mother Sarah, aged 35 (born 1806), and a whole host of siblings, but no father shown. Also present was a 50 years old James Woodall and 40 year old Ann Woodall and their one year old child Martha. So I'm wondering if something had befallen William and Sarah had moved in with her brother or sister and in law. There are a number of William Winspers and so I need to work on which one now, but I wonder if there is a connection to any of your Winspers? William Winsper would be my GGG Granfather.

Talbot, Wellings, Higgs, Bunce, Boad, Winsper, Parish/Parrish, Probert, Robinson, Matheson, MacDonald, Watson, MacHardy, McHardy, Pirie

Offline Tract

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 April 15 00:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the picture of the J. Winsper family vault.  I have a copy of a letter written by Mary Ann (Pollie) Pitt (1874 - 1952) to her cousin Thomas Winsper (June 7 1868 - January 30 1954) after Mary Winsper (February 13, 1811 - March 22 1895) died, along with a copy of the funeral card.  The funeral card says "Mary Winsper of Bilston; Interred in the family vault, St. Leonard's, March 26."  In the letter Pollie writes, "Uncle Steve, Uncle Alfred and Papa were the only mourners, and Papa said they could see your father's coffin quite plain, the brass furniture was black but the wood was good.  Grandma was placed opposite him."  "Your father" would have been Mary's son Thomas Winsper (July 11 1842 - 1887), so his coffin had been there about eight years.  Mary was Mary Beavan, married to Thomas Winsper (1807 - 1863), and the publican of the Hen and Chickens, Green Croft.  Thomas Winsper's parents were John Winsper (1775 - February 11 1853) and Sarah Smith (1773 - March 21 1853). 
Does anyone know of another Winsper vault at St. Leonards?  If not, then would it make sense for the family to have bought the vault two years before John and Sarah died?  They were both in their eighties when they died, so it was probably not a surprise.
Thank you for any information.
Tracy T.