Author Topic: Meyricks of Llandderfel  (Read 3598 times)

Offline iolanthe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Meyricks of Llandderfel
« on: Tuesday 04 November 08 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any connections with Meyricks from Llandderfel?  I've done some considerable research backwards, but have come to a brick wall with the descended family of John Meyrick, baptised 10th December  1841. 

John's parents were John Meyrick Sr (son of Robert Meyrick and Margaret Jones  -  Llannerch Eryr)  -   at the time, in 1841, landlord of Bryntirion  -  and Elizabeth Edwards, daughter of Rees Edwards of Llanerch Y Baedd, Llandderfel.  Sadly, Elizabeth died soon afterwards, and John Meyrick Sr became blind, and by 1851, was an inmate of Bala Workhouse, so young John was now living with his grandparents.

Rees and Ann Edwards were my GGG Grandparents and, therefore, John Meyrick Jr was my 1st cousin, 3 times removed.  I've always felt sorry for him as, after marrying Sarah Jane Davies in 1885, and having a daughter, Elizabeth Mary Meyrick, also in 1885, he seems to have developed the same problem as his father, becoming blind and also ended up in Bala workhouse by 1901.  As a result, his wife and daughter were living with her parents in Wrexham in 1901, and after that, the trail ends. 

I believe John Meyrick Jr died in Bala in 1918, but I can't find a direct link with his daughter, Elizabeth, either marriage or death, after 1901 when she was 15 and an apprentice milliner.

If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd be most grateful.
Aberystwyth: Jenkins, Jones, Davies
Merionethshire: Edwards, Roberts, Williams, Davies, Rowland, John
Monmouthshire: Jenkins, Lewis, Evans, Jones, Rees
Glamorgan: Roberts, Lewis
Breconshire: Jenkins, Jones

Offline trot30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Meyricks of Llandderfel
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 March 10 19:58 GMT (UK) »
there is info about the Meyricks on the National Library of Wales under
Ref No: NLW MS 6967B

hope this helps
Llanfor, Llandderfel, Llanycil, Llangywer, Llanuwchllyn, Cefnddwysarn.

Offline iolanthe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 March 10 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.  I'll certainly look at the reference you have given.
 :)

Offline iolanthe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 March 10 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Having had a quick look at the reference, I think it refers to Edmund Meyrick, a distant ancestor of the John Meyrick I am researching.  If I remember correctly, Edmund Meyrick was the benefactor of Bala Grammar School in his will of 1712:
"A Grammar School was founded under the will, dated 1712, of Dr. Edmund Meyrick, chancellor of St. David's, who bequeathed land for the instruction of thirty poor boys of North Wales in a grammar school, and for providing each of them with clothing. "  -  A Topographical Directory of Wales (1849)

This Edmund Meyrick, was John's 3 times Great Grand Uncle, brother of his 3 times Great Grandfather.  Sadly, by the time John was born, his part of the family seems to have been very humble and John, himself, was a horse breaker until he lost his sight and ended up in Bala Workhouse.

I've done quite a bit of research backwards with the Meyrick family, but it is since 1901 that I'd like to find out more about.

His daughter Elizabeth seems to have disappeared from records after 1901 when she was 15 -  I can't find a marriage, or a death, and I've spelt Meyrick in all sorts of permutations in searches  eg Meurig, Meirick, Merrick with no luck, so I'd be immensely grateful if anyone, anywhere has more suggestions!  I've even considered whether she might have emigrated.....
 :-\ ???