Author Topic: FLETT/GORIE of Stromness  (Read 14779 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: FLETT/GORIE of Stromness
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 April 13 11:58 BST (UK) »
Baptism of JOHN BROWN Flett 02 January 1827 Stromness ( birth 21 Dec 1826) has his Parents as said before as PETER Flett and Jean GORIE, Fathers Occp Seaman.

PETER Flett 15 Oct 1828 has Fathers Occp as Shoemaker (strange) but same Parents names.
A PETER Flett, Shoemaker, was Buried 28 May 1834 Kirkwell, age 46

Marriage;
Stomness, Orkney Isles
09 February 1826
Peter FLETT
Jean GORIE
Both of this Parish

(Source FreeREG)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 April 13 12:18 BST (UK) »
Some confusing info a Aust Death Index has Jeans Parents as Jno Gorrie/Elspit Isbester

Marriage;
26 March 1795, Stromness
Magnus GARRIE, Parish Outtertown
Elspet ISBISTER

Baptisms;
JANET Gorrie, 01 Feb 1796
Magnus Gorrie, Farmer in Stank in Outtertown, had a child by his wife Elspet Isbister, born the 1st and baptised the same day of Febuary, by the Revd.Mr.William Clouston, named Janet.
Abode   Stank, Outtertown
FatherOccupation   Farmer
JAMES Gorie, 10 Oct 1797
JEAN Gorrie, 27 July 1799***
MAGNUS Gorrie, 29 July 1802
BETTY Gorie, 10 Oct 1805

FreeREG
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline motormouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 April 13 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan
Wow, I didn't expect to get much response let alone a second cousin. I don't have much memory of Jessie, but I do remember Uncle Harold, a lovely man with real bulldog jowls. Your grandmother and my grandfather Charlie Flett were bro and sister, I'm still trying to get my head around that. Sad to hear about your Mum Muriel, is your Dad Stan Didier? the dementia curse has struck many of our family including Mum who passed away in 2005, Jessie's sister Jean Gallagher, Father Laurie's Mum had it, Sister Imelda, Laurie's sister has it, she is in care here in Geelong. I don't know much about Aunty Kath Croft. Vince Yoeman's Wife Joan and my Mum Joan were great friends, Joan was always included in all our family occassions. I would love to catch up and swap notes, the admin here removed your email address but you could contact me via my website if admin allows me to put it here, it is www.pencilportraitsbymorris.webs.com my Brother Terry and I are pencil portrait artists. I have a couple of photos of our great grandfather William Flett, one is of him with two of his sons in uniform before heading off to Gallipoli in ww1. Fred and Vivien went, Grandfather Charlie was too young and I don't know much about the fourth Son William who married a 'non Catholic' and vanished somewhere in NSW never heard of again. There was a Billy Flett who Mum remembers as a child coming to Warrnambool for holidays with them when he was a kid. Viv brought back a war bride from England and settled in Darwin. when he died the wife and daughter went back to England. Fred came back a hero but never spoke about it, he married Emily Ryan and they had no children. Fred and Charlie had a plumbing business and took over a run down cordial factory in Warrnambool and made it successful. Father Laurie gave Mum Uncle Fred's war medals and citation and certificate of thanks from the City of Warrnambool so we know what he did, he was awarded the meritorious service medal, directly approved by King George. We have given them on loan to the RSL. I am happy to make available anything I have to give you copies for your research.
Regards
Peter

Offline motormouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 April 13 10:41 BST (UK) »
To Trish1120

I agree there are quite a few inconsistencies in the dates, names, parentage, offspring etc of Gorrie/Flett. I have only just discovered this forum and am excited about it, as you can see it has already been fruitful for me. I will continue to sift through the information and links here and post results. It seems Flett was like Smith in the Orkneys, lots of them.
Thanks for your information.
Regards
Peter

Offline randerson105

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 October 13 08:59 BST (UK) »
Jan/Peter,

I am also a descendant of John Brown Flett (my GGG grandfather) - my GG grandmother Jane Gorie Flett married William Anderson in 1890 with both laid to rest at the Warrnambool Cemetery. I have researched John Brown Flett and his mother (Jean Gorie) and wife Frances (nee Brown) and the relationships back to the Flett's in the Orkney Is. as well as JB Flett's relationship to other second and third Flett cousins who settled in Warrnambool/Wangoom. I am interested in learning more about each of JB and Frances Flett's children and the running of Proudfoot's boatsheds on the Hopkins River at Warrnambool.

My father and mother are both 91 and remember some of the Fletts, notably Trixie Flett (daughter of Frances) who helped run the boating business with her mother and uncle Harry after JB Flett's death in 1905. I only have photos of my great grandmother, Jane Gorie Anderson, and her brother William Flett (the tinsmith) and would beb interested in any photos or family history you can relay in relation to the other brothers and sisters.

Regards,

Russell

Offline motormouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 October 13 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Russell

Wow, there's lots of us out here searching the same origins, William Flett, the tinsmith, was my GGgrandfather and I have a photo of him standing outside his shop in Warrnambool, I also have a photo of him later with two of his sons in military uniform, Fred and Vivien, they were two of my grandfather Charlie's brothers. Both survived WW1 Fred and grandfather owned a cordial factory in Warrnambool, Flett's Cordials and grandfather also had a plumbing business. One of Grandfather's sisters Jean Gallagher had three offspring and all in the religious, Father Laurie, Brother Don and Sister Imelda. Father Laurie was putting together a history and I have his handwritten notes he gave to Mum, I have typed them in MS Word and can pass on a copy to you as well as other photos I have. I remember Trixie Flett from the boatsheds, she was a swarf and was great mates with a cousin of Mum's on her Mother's side Francy Kavanagh who also had dwarfism. According to family stories Trixie was a bit of a mystery, daughter of Frances but unknown father. Also, Flett's boatsheds wasn't Proudfoots, they were the competition, Fletts was where the Ski Club is now and they were Grandfather's cousins, there was also a Charlie amongst them. If you like I can put together a chronology of offspring from William, the tinsmith through to our generation and our children and grandchildren as much as I can. Jan is also from William's line, her Grandmother Jesse and my Grandfather Charlie Flett were brother and sister, I haven't heard back from her since she returned from holidays but if you wish to contact me direct via email you can find it on my art website www.pencilportraitsbymorris.webs.com my Brother terry and I are pencil portrait artists. I would love to hear more about your line.

Regards
Peter Morris