Author Topic: McGlennon  (Read 10906 times)

Offline Riverfern

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McGlennon
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

My grandad has been wanting to trace his family tree for a long time but comes up against a brick wall so I'm trying to help him out.

His mother was Mary McGlennon (possibly McGlenon) and she was born around 1897 in Cork. She had a brother called John Patrick McGlennon and their father was Joseph Patrick McGlennon. Joseph married a woman called Mary Ellen Acton.

Mary moved from Cork when she had grown up and travelled to Australia. From there she travelled to Liverpool which is where my grandad was born.

If anyone can help or think they too are related to these McGlennons, I'd really like to hear from you!

Thanks!

Offline scotskelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

My grandad has been wanting to trace his family tree for a long time but comes up against a brick wall so I'm trying to help him out.

His mother was Mary McGlennon (possibly McGlenon) and she was born around 1897 in Cork. She had a brother called John Patrick McGlennon and their father was Joseph Patrick McGlennon. Joseph married a woman called Mary Ellen Acton.

Mary moved from Cork when she had grown up and travelled to Australia. From there she travelled to Liverpool which is where my grandad was born.

If anyone can help or think they too are related to these McGlennons, I'd really like to hear from you!

Thanks!

Hi Redfern,

The McGlennon family are not originally from County Cork but I believe they are mostly descended from James McGlennon formerly RIC who was the Superintendant of Ballincollig Gun Powder Mill in the mid 19th century.

He was married to Hester.

Offline Alonso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 September 11 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Redfern,    Mary Catherine Mc Glenon was born in the Third Quarter of 1897 in the County of Cork.  It is probable that she was born at Barrack Hill, Fermoy where her Brother  John Patrick was born on the 25th March 1896 to Patrick Joseph Mc Glenon, a Soldier, and Mary Ellen Doherty.
Suggest you use the free search on www.theglennons.com and post a message on the forum there for more info.

Offline Riverfern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 September 11 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks so much for the replies! My grandad just mentioned to me yesterday that his mother's mother was Mary Ellen Doherty! Thanks for pointing out the Glennons website, I shall take a more detailed look tomorrow.

Offline GeraldStandfast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 February 12 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Can anybody help with information about Rebecca McGlennon please?
She married an Alexander Young who was a Sargent in the RIC in Skibereen when he died - but I am note sure when that was, or much else about either of them for that matter. They had four children;
Elizabeth Jane, Ruth (relative of my wife), Hester Mary, & Lydia

Offline Alonso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 February 12 22:17 GMT (UK) »
There was one Alexander Young in the RIC, who fits the timeframe ,his service number was 29357 and he joined the force between 1863 and 1865.  His service record will provide you with lots of relevant information.
Alexander married Rebecca Mc Glennon in the last quarter of 1877 and the marriage was registered in Cork, Ireland. You can obtain a copy of the register entry from the GRO-the entry number is Volume 15 Page 35 Year 1877 District Cork.
Have a look at the 1901 Census. There is a Rebecca( age 48)  married to a William Black, residing at Clifton Co Antrim with step children Lizzie, Ruth and Alexander. Possibly the same family? There is also an Alexander Young( born Co Antrim) described as ex RIC age 65 living in Tipperary. 
Lots for you to check out

Offline GeraldStandfast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 February 12 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. That will be well worth following up. 'My' Rebecca is also supposed to have had a son Alexander so the names would fit your suggestion about step children.

Offline Alonso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Some further info.  A Google search indicates that Alexander Young ,a native of Donegal, Joined the RIC 1864 age 19.   From Family Search BMD Registrations
Alexander died 1891 age 47. The death was registered in Limerick and the references are Volume 5  Page 295  Quarter 4  Year 1891 District Limerick if you want to order a copy of the death register entry.
Again from the Registration indexes  a Rebecca Mc Glennon married a William A Black in Limerick 1895.  The references are Volume 5  Page 295  Quarter 1 Year 1895  District Limerick if you want to order a copy of the Marriage register entry. This would be useful as it would show the names of the Fathers and addresses etc

Offline GeraldStandfast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 March 12 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks.

Rebecca's daughter Ruth married Herbert Theobald Warner and had two daughters Beryl and Mavis. The family moved to England. Beryl was my mother in law (d.2003).