Author Topic: Birth in Hannover, Germany  (Read 5700 times)

Offline epc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth in Hannover, Germany
« on: Wednesday 05 November 08 22:08 GMT (UK) »
My husbands great grandfather was a John Starkey, a shoe maker, born in Germany c. 1855.  He came to England as a child (London we think), he then settled in Worcester and married Sohpia Brown in 1877.  On his marriage certificate his father was entered as John Starkey a shoe maker.

On the 1891 census it states that John (c. 1855) was born Hannover, Germany (British subject).

Is there anybody that could look this up for me please. 

Thanks, epc

Offline poolekevin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Birth in Hannover, Germany
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 July 10 00:03 BST (UK) »
my great grand mother was violetta poole, married to richard joesph poole.
her dad ran the shoe shop in worcester.is there any luck in the back ground of john starkey. was he british subject.and is there a family tree to his past.
best of luck kevin

Offline epc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 August 10 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Kevin

Your Violetta was the sister of my husbands  grandfather, Frederick Starkey.  Their father was John Starkey who was born in Germany about 1854.  John married Sophia Brown 1.4.1877at Worcester and they had 5 sons and 3 daughters. 

Do you know any more about John Starkey?

epc

Offline Kark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 August 10 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Kevin,
My grandfather was William Starkey, bro to Violetta, Frederick etc. I think we are all stuck with John. I went to Kew Archives and asked for help but they said that we may never get any further without going to Hanover. I did look at the 1911 Cencus which was the first one to be completed by the head of household themselves. John had signed the form and he had put his nationality down as German.
They said at Kew that it was very rare for other nationals to actually become British.
Have you any idea when John came to UK. I cannot find him on any cencus before 1881

Carol

Offline Paulychops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 August 10 21:21 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose it'll help, but my g-g-grandmother was born about 1857  in Hannover - a British Subject according to the censuses. There must be some records, probably in Germany. Maybe the only solution is to go there. I'll keep watching this thread - JIC!

Pauly

Offline Kark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 August 10 22:56 BST (UK) »
 :)
Pauley, you are probably right. Someone needs to go to Germany.

Your g-g-g-grandmother may have been a british subject but I think that John Starkey never became a british citizen.
The researcher at Kew Archives said that people could put what they wanted on a cencus because no-one would ever check and that it was very rare for anyone to actually change their nationality.
Sadly I fee that there are some members of our family who could tell us about 

John but they will take the secret to the grave, I feel.

Kark

Offline poolekevin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 July 15 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol. I just wonder if you had any luck in your research on John Starkey. And did your nephew , find any information on his parents. I know it's been a long time. And  hope you are alright .  :) . it's still bugs me ,what John Starkey mother name was.!!! And Which Country she was born . Germany or England
Kevin Poole
Worcester

Offline Kark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 July 15 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin. Hope you are well. We have health problems at the moment so are not doing a lot.
My nephew has done some searching and has come up with information which he believes is the real thing BUT I am waiting to hear from him as to whether or not he has any documentation to prove what he has. I am not very hopeful! No one in the family has managed to get any further and I think it's getting a bit late for some of us. It's hopefully something that you younger members will solve.

Regards Carol

Offline poolekevin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 July 15 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol. Thank you replying so quick. it's been a long time. And thanks for that information. I hope your nephew can share the information with you and me soon.  :) . i Hope you get better soon.
I have not heard any News ,Not from any Starkey's or Gerry Barker from isle of Wight. I was sorry he lost his daughter a few years ago . I did not know until I phone him last year , on isle of Wight,
I He did not want any visitor.   
I have hit a dead end. And would be Grateful for any information !!
Doe's your Nephew go to the Hive in Worcester. I would like to meet up. and have a chat. Or I can Email
Worcester.
Kevin Poole