Author Topic: BRADLEY/McGOWAN family Australia  (Read 22780 times)

Offline Emu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BRADLEY/McGOWAN family Australia
« on: Sunday 09 November 08 01:39 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for info re my gr grandparents - Arthur Thomas Bradley  born  QLD 1881  - parents George Charles Bradley & Winnifred Hannah Evans. Arthur married Agnes McGowan- possible birth for Agnes 1872 QLD - parents William McGowan and  Margaret Loan.   Arthur & Agnes were married in QLD in 1902. I have found possible death for Arthur Bradley in1926 - none for Agnes.  My Gran Mona Bradley born 1906 in NSW married Arthur Edward Egan 1926 in NSW.  Mona & Arthur buried Inverell NSW.  Mona's siblings were, Neata, Edgar, Winnifred & Arthur.   I have not send for marriage cert of Arthur & Mona as yet. Have also found BDM record for a George Charles Bradley & Winnifred Hannah Evans in QLD 1877     & death of a George Charles Bradley with parents John Bradley & Elizabeth Nash born in England. Looking for anyone who has this family in their tree or any advice ........thanks Emu 8)
Bradley-Birmingham.ENG. Evans-Staffordshire ENG. Egan-Dublin IREL. McVeigh-Co.Armagh,IREL.Kuchler & Fehringer-Mannheim GERMANY.McGowan - Longford IRELAND. Evans - Welshpool WALES. Frenden-Stockholm, SWEDEN. Kimmorley, London ENG.

Offline pocketrocket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bradley/McGowan family Australia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 March 10 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Did anyone end up at molong.  I know a bradley from molong.

Caroline
Clarke (The Gap QLD) , Morehouse (Cobram vic), Jepson, Garland, Tilsley, Wiggins (Tasmania)

Offline Emu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bradley/McGowan family Australia
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 March 10 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Did anyone end up at molong.  I know a bradley from molong.

Caroline

I am not sure about Molong....where is this place? I have since located the Bradley/McGowan family and they are from Charleville, Roma, Thallon QLD . I am hoping to find 'living' relos in these towns as well., however these towns have been hit very hard with recent floods. My gr gr Grandfather George Bradley was born Birmingham England  and  is  at buried at Roma. Thanks for your reply.....
Cheers! Emu
Bradley-Birmingham.ENG. Evans-Staffordshire ENG. Egan-Dublin IREL. McVeigh-Co.Armagh,IREL.Kuchler & Fehringer-Mannheim GERMANY.McGowan - Longford IRELAND. Evans - Welshpool WALES. Frenden-Stockholm, SWEDEN. Kimmorley, London ENG.

Offline pocketrocket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BRADLEY/McGOWAN family Australia
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 March 10 10:17 GMT (UK) »
It is near Bathurst, Orange NSW.  Central west.  Probably not related I imagine.  There are about 20 references if you type Bradley as name and Molong as area into the bdm website.

Cheers,

Caroline
Clarke (The Gap QLD) , Morehouse (Cobram vic), Jepson, Garland, Tilsley, Wiggins (Tasmania)

Offline Emu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 March 10 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Caroline....the place Molong now sounds familiar, but they  are possibly no  relation to my Bradley family. By the way the William McGowan and Margaret Loan is actually in correct  in my posting, as it was James McGowan and Eliza Wetherall. I hope that there's some relos in Charleville and Roma who are related to us. Some of the Bradley ladies  married  a McKnight and a Churchhill, so possibly some descendants are around the above named areas. it would be also great to find relos from England who are our  Bradleys.
Cheers!
Lesley

Offline tanyaslaves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 May 10 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is tanya i am researching family history for my sister in law Amy Nita McGowan and came across two names i am looking for in your posting I but don't know if they are the same people I have a James McGowan and Eliza McGowan who was a aboriginal from Mungindi they had several children in the district and Roma is around this area one of their children was Thomas Andrew McGowan born 21st June 1914 this man is my sister-in-laws Grandfather and it is documented in police note books from the late 1800 to early 1900 that James McGowan was a white man and Eliza was an aboriginal and that their children were half aboriginal. Thomas Andrew McGowan married a Elsie May Chape and they had 5 children one of which is my sister-in-laws father Stanley Thomas McGowan now deceased born on the 12-09-1951 his mother Elsie died when he was eight and the government took the five children from their father (Stolen Generation) because he was and aboriginal and placed them in institutes and I have not found any more information on James McGowan and Eliza McGowan and if these are the same people and if you have any information on them it would be great to know what you have and how you found out Eliza maiden name Wetherall other children that James and Eliza had that I know of are Margaret McGowan died 23/08/1924 at Dareel, Ronnie McGowan and unknown female who married a George Knox, hope to hear from you.

Offline Emu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 May 10 06:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Tanya!
   I have recently been sent documents with a few McGowan family names from a lady at Goondiwindi. I  think I have the name Tommie/Tommy McGowan in the documents - could be your Thomas Andrew McGowan? I read that  Eliza was Aboriginal   but I didn't know the story of the stolen generation. The maiden name Wetherall,  I found on BDM indexes and was not certain until the contact from Gundy sent what she had. and confirmed the name Wetherall. I will have to read the docs again and see what else is there. You have caught me at a rather busy time as have had A LOT of other family lines comes thru this week and trying to get my head around it all.So your sister in-law  Amy is  connect to my ancestors! My grandma Mona (My Dad's Mum) was a Bradley  & married Arthur Egan and they lived at Thallon (and other  nearby places) and my Gr Gran Agnes McGowan (Mona's Mum) married Arthur Thomas Bradley. You can email me direct at: (*) and then I can get back to you tomorrow (Friday) Looking forward to hearing from you - I must have struck it lucky with ancestors lately!

Moderator Comment: email address removed as per RootsChat policy. Please use the secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Offline Emu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 May 10 08:42 BST (UK) »
Tanya, I am back again - just had a free moment. You may  already have  some of this info.....James McGowan was born 1854 in Singleton He was Labourer and boundary rider. He married Eliza Weatherall  in Bullamon QLD. He died 12 Sept 1922 in Mungindi NSW. Eliza died 11 Aug 1925 in Mungindi. The children were Herbert, George, Agnes (my Gr Gran) Ellen, James, Maggie, Danny, Eliza (married George Knox)  John, Tommy and Rhonda (married Robert Fing) The Tommy mentioned here was born 1901 according to what I have in my docs. from Goondiwindi.
    One of the Bradley's also married a Knox - well she had child to him, so i found out - not sure about the marriage as yet. I have found a fair bit on the Bradley side.  According to what I have here, it states parents of James were Father: James McGowan and Mother: Ellen Crampton. There's a few other McGowan's listed here as well of the above named McGowans's.  I don't know where James McGowan father also named James came from - that's what I am to find out. Do you named any rellies around in Roma of the McGowan side. I am in contact with  family from Roma (they are not McGowan's tho) and they may know more on this side
   I will be back tomorrow and read my docs again properly in case I missed something
       Cheers! Lesley                     P.S I am from Caloundra Sunshine Coast

Offline tanyaslaves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 May 10 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley looks like these are the same McGowan's in police notes they refer to a Margaret McGowan as Maggie and a Ronnie who I would say is Rhonda as living on a farm with the Fing's this site might be of some interest to you just google mungindi police letterbook 1924-1939 i seen information on a Winifred Mary Bradley who gave birth to a Ruth Harriet Bradley on there too, under Roma police letterbooks. Amy does not know many rello's she only knows her fathers sister's and brother as they all reunited before Amy's father passed away and they do not know there family history either as they were all young when they were taken from their father it would be great if we could get copies of the doc's you mention you received from a lady in goondiwindi or details on how to obtain these as it sounds like there is quite a fair bit in them about the McGowan's also you mention someone might know more about the McGowan's from Roma if you could find out that would be great or mention the names to them, we did not know any of the details you mention except for a couple of the names so it was so good to have your reply we are just a bit unsure for the date of birth for Tommy (Thomas) as Amy was told 1914 but does not have any documented details just going on what she was told do you have a birth date or just a year we have a deceased date of the 11th April 1964 at Dubbo, also have you got a DOB for Eliza.  Thomas married a Elsie May Marjorie Chape and had eight children my last post said five, these are Colin (Dec), Lila, Elaine (Dec), Kevin, Stanley DOB: 12/09/1951 (Dec 04/02/2001) (Amy's father), Judith (Dec), Rhonda and Edna, None of these live in that district anymore all the children were born in Walgett from what we know and this is where they lived when they were taken at Youendah Station Walgett. Amy is still in contact with Lila and Rhonda and are helping us with history of the above marriages and their children, dates of death and their DOB, if you would like these details when we get them let me know, i am not sure how we can received each others personal emails but if you know can you organise that, that would be great thank you for your time it is very much appreciated.
Tanya