Author Topic: BRADLEY/McGOWAN family Australia  (Read 22662 times)

Offline Emu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BRADLEY/McGOWAN family Australia
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 May 10 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanya! I just had a look at the paper work that was sent to me and sorry it does not list a birth date for Eliza. I think Eliza  is short for Elizabeth. I will contact the lady from Gundy soon and as her if she knows more about this. This lady  is in contact with a cousin of my Dad's in Toowoomba from the Bradley side. The lady is  related is  to her. The cousin in Toowoomba  but I don't know if she knows any more on the McGowan side. The cousin has just had a death in her family, so hard to get info until things settle down a bit.  Maybe Eliza was not registered at birth.
  The contact I have in Roma maybe able to help as I think she is a member of the Roma History Group. I am in contact with her daughter via email as she might be able to ask her mother. This family are related Thru the Bradley side. I have found quite alot on the Bradley side recently., which I am excited about!
   The doc's I am referring to are just family tree  group sheets and it lists all the McGowan's I mentioned to you. There's also a marriage cert of my Gr Grand's Arthur Bradley and Agnes Bradley     I was also sent picture of Agnes (photo copy  - not very clear) of my Gr Gran Agnes Bradley (nee McGowan) last week.  It looks like it was taken as an older lady - perhaps shortly before her death in 1961. I was also  born 1961. Agnes  passed away March '61 and I was born Nov '61.
  Thanks for telling me of the Children living at Walgett - another thing I did not know. I think the story of the stolen generation is very sad. I was only reading about tit recently. Yes, The Police records of Roma/Mungindi you mention I have come across last week by accident! I also saw the mention of the i child of Bradley/Knox. I will have another look on there. 
   It is my pleasure to help you Tanya and Amy - please say 'Hi' to Amy from me. I began tracing the Egan family (My maiden name) late in 2007 and they are very complicated and many bricks walls have been hit. I am tracing the tree for myself and my sister and Dad in Inverell NSW.My Dad is almost 81 - he too was born in Mungindi. My sister and I were born Inverell.
   I shall have a bit more read of the family group sheet again to see if I have missed some info. I think if you reply to me a couple of times we can then exchange email addresses. As mentioned to you yesterday A LOT of bits and pieces have come thru. the last few weeks. Hopefully we can learn a bit more about the McGowan's - we shall keep looking. I see you mention Dubbo. I also have a contact there who might know more. I shall make a list of who to contact and do that early next week.
 I will be chatting to my father  via phone tomorrow. I will be back online on Sunday. I am sure he told me McGowan's were Teamsters - leave it with me..... looking forward to your next reply
Cheers!
Lesley
Bradley-Birmingham.ENG. Evans-Staffordshire ENG. Egan-Dublin IREL. McVeigh-Co.Armagh,IREL.Kuchler & Fehringer-Mannheim GERMANY.McGowan - Longford IRELAND. Evans - Welshpool WALES. Frenden-Stockholm, SWEDEN. Kimmorley, London ENG.

Offline Emu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 May 10 03:45 BST (UK) »
 Hello Tanya!  I  am back again today briefly. I was going to phone my Dad, but he has bronchitis , so I will leave the McGowan questions until next week. My Dad has a great memory and I have relied on him for a lot of family names and info. Unfortunately he never knew Arthur Bradley as he died 1926 the same year my grandparent's Arthur Egan and Mona Bradley were married in Thallon. Dad was born 1929 in Mungindi as I told you. I found out story  of the burial place of  Arthur Bradley the other day - more on  that soon!  Dad sometimes has flash backs and remembers things. I am certain he mentioned  McGowan teamsters.  I shall be back Sunday on line
Cheers!
Lesley
Bradley-Birmingham.ENG. Evans-Staffordshire ENG. Egan-Dublin IREL. McVeigh-Co.Armagh,IREL.Kuchler & Fehringer-Mannheim GERMANY.McGowan - Longford IRELAND. Evans - Welshpool WALES. Frenden-Stockholm, SWEDEN. Kimmorley, London ENG.

Offline Emu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 May 10 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanya!
  I just had email from Roma as History Group had replied and told me they have  info on the Bradley family. I replied and asked about McGowan family, so we shall see what comes of it - if anything. I have just looked at the family tree I have here. It states on the notes that James McGowan  & Ellen Crampton being parents of James McGowan is not confirmed and then I read on further and it states the following..... James McGowan married 1850 in Roman Catholic Singleton NSW wife: Ellen Crampton.  Children: Ellen McGowan born 1850 in NSW, James McGowan born 1854 in Singleton, Died 12 Sept 1922 in Mungindi NSW. married Eliza (Elizabeth Weatherall  in Bullamon QLD.
Mary E McGowan born 1860 in Sydney died 1863 in Sydney
Patrick A McGowan  1862 in Sydney died 1863 in Sydney
Elizabeth McGowan born 1864 Patrick Plains NSW (gives no death date)
Teresa McGowan born 1865 Sydney and died 1865 Sydney
Joseph McGowan born 1865 (does not give death -maybe twin brother of Teresa?)
I  wonder where the original McGowan's came from - Scotland perhaps????  I will ask my Gundy contact to see if this is confirmed of this family. My contact is away in Toowoomba - not sure when she returns. That's all I can do for now -
I will await your next reply
Cheers!
Lesley

Offline Emu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 May 10 11:53 BST (UK) »
Tanya,  I forgot something -  had a look on QLD BDM as it lists a Elizabeth  McGowan death for 1925  no parents listed tho. And also a Elizabeth McGowan 1924 with parents Henry Best and Ann Hart - one these could be our Eliza. Possibly the one with out parents listed -  shall keep digging for clues!
Lesley

Offline Emu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 May 10 01:37 BST (UK) »
Tanya, I also found this  info on QLD BDM this morning...Elizabeth Weatherall birth 1864....Father:Henry and Mother: Mary Ann Rogers - could this be the birth of our Eliza? I have  another person to contact as well and he is also a Bradley relation. So will see what comes of this the next few weeks.I will hear from you again soon no doubt!
Lesley

Offline tanyaslaves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 May 10 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley thank you so much for all this info i have been incontact with another family member of yours and amy's. Her name is Tina Hamrick from Washington and her grandmother is Eliza who married George Knox and she has been researching her family history for several years mainly the Knox side, but she said she has done a fair bit on the McGowan side too, she has a facebook page on family history and said she will post all her info on there, she also said that she is stuck on Eliza Weatherall too, and she keeps coming to dead ends with her and i told her that she is reported to be Full blood aboriginal in a police record and so we are guessing that is why noone can find anything on her, I seen your post that you found a record for one who died in 1925 with no parents listed does that record state she died in Mungindi. also just wondering what you have that gave you a date of the 11th Aug 1925 as her date of death? might be able to track something down from that, Amy's Aunt Rhonda (Thomas's Daughter) is so very much appreciated for your help and is very excited on finding out her family history so thank you once again for your time and look forwarded to hearing what else you find and if your father might remember any of the McGowan's especially Thomas.
Tanya

Offline boxtrain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 10:11 BST (UK) »
HI Emu, Iam looking for any information on my Grandmother Nola Bradley, i believe she is the daughter of Agnes and Thomas Bradley. Nola married Sid Mitchell and lived in St George and then Gayndah. Regards

Offline Emu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 August 10 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi there! Nola Bradley/Mitchell was my Grandmother's sister. My Gran was Monica Muriel Bradley aka Mona. Mona married Arthur Edward Egan. One of Nola's daughter's lives In Toowoomba QLD. Maybe you already know this? I am not in touch with her, but I am in touch with one of her relations from Goondiwindi.   I have  a bit of the family tree in regards to Bradley's. You have caught me at a bad time as I am heading off  to Nthn. NSW on holidays.  I leave tomorrow and return around Sept 21st. I will be on line again later today if you read this. if you have  quick questions I can help you with, otherwise I can give you more info in Sept. As you  will read previous posts  which gives a bit of Bradley/McGowan info.
regards Lesley   P.S yes, the mother of Nola and family was Agnes McGowan and father was actually Arthur Thomas Bradley - I have contacts at Roma as well as NSW coast who are also have traced Bradley family. Hope I can be of some help?!

Offline boxtrain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 August 10 04:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley, Thanks for responding. I think I have worked out the lineage from previous posts which is awsome. Iam the son of Fay Mitchell. I would appreciate any information/photos you may wish to share. Also if I can be of any assistance let me know. Have a great holiday. Duane