Author Topic: james sutherland  (Read 6242 times)

Offline jurn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
james sutherland
« on: Sunday 09 November 08 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for some details of my ancestor JAmes Sutherland. He was a sergeant-major in a Dutch regiment at the end of the 18th century, married with Ann Richie. His daughter Catharine, born in Namours Belgian in 1782 married to my great-great grandfather Hendrik Kerkkamp.
James had a coat of arms: like the Sutherlands: three stars but with a crescent (moon) added.
Who can help me to find the origin of James Sutherland?
Thanks,
Jurn

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: james sutherland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jurn,

Do you have some "evidence" that James Sutherland was born, or married, in the County of Sutherland? (This board is for the County of Sutherland, rather than the name "Sutherland")

Also, do you have any more dates - death; birth; marriage?

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline jurn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 November 08 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,
James Sutherland was born appr 1740 in Wick, Scotland, died in 1806 Zutphen, the Netherlands. His wife, Jo Anne Richie, was a daughter of Robert Richie and Jane Gown. They married in 1773 in Zuthpen. She died also in Zuthpen in 1827.
Jurn

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 November 08 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi jurn  :)

Could I welcome you to Rootschat  :D

Wick is in Caithness not Sutherland

I've checked the OPRs (Old Parochial Records) for Wick and find that there were 7 James Sutherland baptisms in the period 1735-1745. Do you have any more names for his children to see if any were named after his parents. This might help to find if any of the 7 are him.

Regards

Gadget

Moderator comment: topic moved to Caithness
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jurn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 November 08 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
Thanks for the answer. The children of James were named: Catharine, Jean(Jane), Hendrika Balnearis, Johanna, Anna, Robert, John Richie and James.
Where can I find the mentioned OPRs (Old Parochial Records) for Wick?
I mentioned the crest on another forum. It was told that Caithness refers to catpeople. The crest shows a sitting cat on the helmet, and not the standing wild cat of the crest of the Sutherlands. Does this makes any sense?
Thanks,
Jurn

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 November 08 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Mmmm - so no clear ordering. Here are the list of fathers:

1737 - Alexander
1740 -James
1740 - John
1741 John
1743 - no first name- just 'Sutherland'
1744 - William
1745 - John

John looks the strongest possibility from your list but we have 3 John's . Was  there a special naming pattern in the Netherlands? Do you have any information about Ann Richie? That sounds very Scottish as well.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 November 08 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jurn,

I know very little about heraldry but I think it is doubtful that your James Sutherland would have his own coat-of-arms, such as you describe, because coats-of-arms belong to individuals and not to families. However, the Sutherland family crest is similar to your description, in that it has a lion rampant above the helmet.

Sutherland was/is a fairly commom surname in the counties of Caithness and Sutherland. You can find out about the family by using Google. You may wish to start here:
http://www.coats-of-arms.com/sutherland%20coat%20of%20arms.htm

Most of the Old Parish Registers were copied by the LDs Church and transcriptions may be found on its search website here:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

A word of caution: a few years ago, the church began accepting information submitted to them by members, some of which is not accurate. I, personally, do not use this information unless I can verify it from another source. The entries extracted from records tend to be more accurate.

If you would like to see all of the SUTHERLANDS christened in the parish of Wick, visit here:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/

Choose"Scotland"; "Caithness" then "Wick", select the batch(es) for the time period,and enter the name SUTHERLAND

I hope this is of some help.

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 November 08 18:23 GMT (UK) »
I've tried to avoid getting involved with coats of arms and clan history, Ian. There lies danger IMHO

I think it might also be worth looking at military records at the National Archives.

Gadget