Author Topic: Tognarelli ice-cream parlour owners  (Read 49862 times)

Offline Paulo Historico

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tognarelli ice-cream parlour owners
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 12:58 BST (UK) »
They were from barga Italy also her brothers and other relatives went to Kendal Lancaster Workington to open shops. Tried looking on other sites but doesn't give much information

My family are from Barga & tiglio etc.

Hope everyone has found their answer's already - if not - let me know what your after but please note that I am focused on Cumbria & Dumfries & Galloway - I have nothing outside those areas, well, almost nothing.

Has anyone tried to arrange a group meeting in Cumbria to help solve some of our Italian social / commercial history ?

After 30 years plus of work on this subject using our (Wife & Self) "boots on the ground", I am now finally turning to the Internet.

Some of you are hoping to see a Rossi, Fabbri connection to Tognarelli ?

Answer: You may be still related but here is a list (excluding the local and not so local English element) of surnames Tognarelli's of Cumbria are directly related to in my Relational DB :-
I should add that the following list of names are for Cumbria's Italians related to Cumbria's Tognarelli's !

Arrighi, Bilotti, Casci, Cecchini, Cosimini, Ennini, Franchi, Gonnella, Lunardi, Moscardini, Olympia ? (difficult to decipher original writing), Pieraccini, Pieroni, Renucci, Rosa, Turicchi.

I dare not claim that this is a complete list !  :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 13:11 BST (UK) »
You may find this post interesting too Paulo:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=224402.9

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Paulo Historico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 13:11 BST (UK) »
I am sure I saw details for Celestino on freebmd when I was looking yesterday.  For instance there is a marriage to Marianna Rossi in 1914 in Barrow in Furness.   Getting that certificate should give occupations, address and names of both their fathers.     Make sure you order it via the GRO though as some sites charge more.  Another marriage to Maria Lunardi in 1908 shows up too and a Celestino dies in 1953 with probate granted to a solicitor and widow Maria.   Address 9 King Street Ulverston.   He left £3648 7s 6d.  I wonder if both marriages are the same man and the first wife died?  There is a possible death for Maria age 19 in 1909.   There are other births with maiden name Rossi too.
Have you seen the 1911 census?   That would be very useful.   Since it is not allowed to post look ups in the 1911 census here on RootsChat, all we can do is point you in the direction of the hints and suggestions here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,492718.0.html
Here is a close conflict: my DB shows a Celestinum Orlandeam Tognarelli marrying a Mariam Celesteum Lunardi in Nov 1908 - in Barrow.  Witnesses were Joanne Tog. from 108 Deansgate, Bolton, and an Eletta Lunardi of 46 Pow Street, Workington.

The parents of this Celestinum Tog. are different.

Further there is an Anita Tognarelli which most may not be aware of living in Cumbria and who married a 'Gigi' Renucci. They were also in Barrow and steadily moved up the coast to Carlisle, where they settled.  This is another branch of the Tog. tree - however I have not yet had time in Barga, Italy, to trace the connections.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Gonnella
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 20:21 BST (UK) »

I see that amonst the names you are researching you have Gonnella.A close friend of mine's maiden name is Gonnella. Her father came from Barga. His name was Giovani but here he was called Johnny
  If you can let me know about your interest in the name there could be a connection.

Offline Paulo Historico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Painting a picture for posterity
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 13 April 17 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hi SandyJose - and to all; I am interested in ALL of Cumbria's Italian Community and Dumfries & Galloway's.

The area I am working on this year is photography of ALL those Italians who had ever lived in these two counties.  I am looking to create from everyone's original photos, Hi Res photos 10 x 8 inch scanned in TIFF at 600 dpi, which is the format I use.
I then repair them using manual methods, as automated repairs tend to degrade pictures in various ways. Those repairs can take me up to 200 hours !! depending on the level of damage per picture.

In answer to your very kind offer SandyJose - I already know the following:-
There were several groups of Gonnella in Cumbria, circa pre 1960, including the late "Adelmo & Co" his wife being Catherine Fontana, and another family that came in from Glasgow in 1976 - the late Joseph G. & Renata Dinelli.  I work with the Italian way of using the wife's maiden name rather than her married name in my archive.

I don't have photos of Pietro G. & Renata (Rossi), or their children;  Domenico G & Candida (?) and their children.
I am also looking for specific photos of the Perruzza's in Cumbria, the Negri's in Cumbria and the Croci (Cross) families in Cumbria.

The Jpeg photos uploaded are wonderful - however, I need to have these in TIFF format and preferably scanned using my own scanning gear and software.

Everyone please note that handling of loaned photographs and care of them is at archive standards with me.  Within the archive, all digitally scanned photos are given their unique folders and credits/details of who owns those photos.  All photos and data are held in the archive for posterity, with the hope that in the far future they will help others connect with their roots.

The Relational Database is large, but uses a simple, intuitive Index system created by myself many moons ago, currently using Office 2010, which tells the user where and what data is held within the system, and in the real world. To give some idea of the real world side - I only have a little over 80k documents in print taking up our study room - no room for more :-(

Yes, the digital data is backed up on 3 terebytes of drive, and some critical data is also further backed up on BluRay.  The 1000's of photos have almost all persons identified - though I have many more that still require work.

Each year we chose a couple of areas to cover: 2014-16 was Dumfries & Galloway cemeteries along with Newspaper stories between 2000 - 2016 for both counties.
For 2017 - 2019 it's Cemeteries in Cumbria, plus the mentioned photographic work, plus the Italian Street Directory alongside this work, and a time line directory which traces movements of all Italians listed around the two counties (Cumbria & D&G) for each family.

Cemeteries were last done 20 years ago - they have grown dramatically in that time :-(hence we are now getting ready to come to a Cumbrian cemetery near you - circa 150 of them :-).

I already have had over 100 families graciously help supply photos, newspaper clippings etc, to add to the archive over a period of 30 years & more.

Basic arrangements have been made for the archive (apparently the largest in Northern England according to the professors) to be handed over to the Cumbria Archive Services and Dumfries Public Library Archive on our passing - hopefully we will have many years yet !

Why are we doing it?
It started off as my simple Italian family tree!  got hooked, and found I was related to pretty much everyone so started gathering all the info out there but organising it was tough at the start.
So took 2 years out to study Relational databases and walked away with the advanced diplomas in all main areas of IT.

We already have 1oo's of photos covering a few thousand faces whose names would have been forgotten - but not now.

Offline BronxPiano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 13 April 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
I am still following, although my main objective was my Grandfather Fabbri. I am on the Wirral, where my Grandfather moved to when he left Maryport and area. I have quite a few photos of Italian people, who were presumably in the Cafe/Ice Cream business, although I can not name most of them. I have posted some on here. As you may have noticed, my Grandmother lived at the Pow Street address. Her name was Pieroni. I believe that is her standing in the doorway as seen on two of the photos.
   Also in Birkenhead, was a Leo Cecchini, who I met a few times. There are still some members of his family on the Wirral in the Chip shop business, though maybe they have all retired back to Barga.

Offline robert1544

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 16 August 18 14:50 BST (UK) »
Paolo, I'd like to connect. I too have tons of stuff from Barga - Cumbria, North East and Scotland - Bob

Offline BronxPiano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 16 August 18 22:49 BST (UK) »
Salve,
        On Monday 20th August (2018) I am going "home" to Gallicano, which is just a few miles down the mountain from Barga. I go every year to visit my relatives. I (tongue-in-cheek) tell everyone that I am English, only on the outside. Inside, I am Italian. I spoke Italian first as a child and learnt English when I went to school. At home, it was speak Italian if you wanted to eat.
   If anyone wants something looking up in that area, let me know. If I can and I have time, I will be happy to help. No guarantees though........ I tried to set something up for Paulo, but Italians don`t seem to be terribly motivated about sharing history. My 94 year old Uncle in Italy only ever researched his Father`s side for example. I have been several times to the local offices to try to access birth records, but they are quite unhelpful. There are also a lot of foreigners trying to find some Italian ancestors to try to get Italian citizenship, which may explain some reluctance on their part.
    tanti saluti

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 16 August 18 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Both

Ironically I replied to this before when I was in Cumbria  We used to go regularly to the ice cream parlours and the Peace Family run by the Italians  However now I'm down in Lancashire where my family are from 

However my other grandparents were in Birkenhead and on our visits we used to cross the Mersey on the ferry and go up to Hilton Street, now redeveloped but we used to go for ice cream cones to a tiny ice cream shop on a corner near there and I'm sure they were Italian.  It was near the park.

Do you think it was one of yours?

Intriguing, though there was a lot of contact between Mersey side and cumbria because much of the transport was by sea and people went in and out of both ports.

Best wishes

Emms :)
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas