Author Topic: Please help - Looking for Caseys who owned a mill in the mid-1800's  (Read 21287 times)

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
Re: Please help - Looking for Caseys who owned a mill in the mid-1800's
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 November 08 10:17 GMT (UK) »
hi joyce,
i wouldn't give up yet on receiving a response :)
there is a copy of the book you mentioned in The Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland(rsai) in merrion square,Dublin. i know this is no good to you if you're in america but there might be someone on rootschat who is a member,or knows someone,who could have a look at it for you.
the authour of the book,william hogg,also published a book called "the millers and mills of ireland of about 1850:a list". this book is in the university libraries of sligo,maynooth,galway and cork. it is also in the university of chicago library,which might be nearer to you!
you're right about the cost of the book,$80 :(, far too expensive! maybe this will help someone to help you; good luck,

tony

Offline caseyhagan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 November 08 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Tony.  I live in Florida, and unfortunately I don't know anyone in Chicago.  Do you think it would be rude of me to do a different post asking if someone could do a look-up at one of the libraries you mentioned in Ireland?  I wouldn't want to impose on anyone.

Joyce
Casey, Murphy, Dunn, Ryan, Cooney, Carroll, Morgan, McCarron

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 November 08 10:25 GMT (UK) »
no joyce,it wouldn't be rude or imposing :) i think thats what rootschat is all about, helping people with the same interest. certainly go ahead and start a new thread and see if anyone can help. there's no harm in asking :)

tony

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 November 08 23:52 GMT (UK) »
would it make logistical sense for Caseys from Roscommon to have relatives (cousins, in-laws) in possibly Leitrim,  Monaghan or Fermanagh?  Would they be close enough for people to have met and married at that time?

very very possible and given that they had a mill they may also have moved round these areas buying/collecting grain....or they would have known and met lots of people coming and going to the mill.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 00:52 GMT (UK) »
You could try http://www.rsai.ie         

Or www.iarc.ie     

The Archive's accessions registers record more than 3,500 individual acquisitions to date, ranging from single items - a book, pamphlet, drawing or photograph - to the thousands of drawings and files created by large architectural practices.

The collections housed by the Archive comprise the largest body of historic architectural records in Ireland and as such constitute a vital national cultural resource. They include the most significant body of historic Irish architectural drawings in the world, with in excess of 250,000 drawings ranging in date from the late seventeenth to the late twentieth centuries. Also housed in the Archive are over 400,000 photographs, making this one of the largest collections of photographs in Ireland, and an extensive reference library, with more than 15,000 items of printed matter.

The holdings of the Irish Architectural Archive contain material - primary or secondary - on every notable Irish architect, on Irish buildings of every type, period or style, and on most significant building in the 32 counties of Ireland.

or www.buildingsofireland.ie

They might have a database or might be able to help.

Offline caseyhagan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 17:39 GMT (UK) »
First, thanks to Hallmark for the new websites to search.

In case you missed my update on another thread (library look-up), I'll fill you in on what I was able to find out yesterday.

I talked with a reference librarian at the U. of Chicago and she looked up the surname "Casey" in the "Millers & Mills of Ireland 1850."

There are 3 Caseys listed and they all operated corn mills.  There was a Thomas Casey in Kilmanman Parish, County Queens, a Thomas Casey in Killare Parish, County Westmeath, and a John Casey in Dunlecky, County Carlow.

When I checked these against Griffith's Valuation, I found 2 of them as stated but there was no Thomas Casey in Ardbrennan, Killare, Westmeath, nor was there any indication of a mill.

I researched a little more and discovered the Valuations were taken in County Queens and County Carlow in 1851-52, but weren't done in County Westmeath until 1854.  Apparently, that mill was already shut down by the time of the Valuations.

Of course, the other two could have been gone also by 1854, but I guess we have no way of knowing that, unless someone can suggest another trail for me to follow.

I'm a little confused, though.  While reading a thread on this site on how to interpret Griffith's Valuation, I found that when property listed "Offices", this could have meant anything from a factory to a store or even a mill.  If that's the case, then most of the hundreds of Caseys I've found could have had mills, as the majority of them were listed as having "house, off, land".  I was so hoping to be able to narrow it down to just a few, but now I'm not so sure I have.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Joyce

Casey, Murphy, Dunn, Ryan, Cooney, Carroll, Morgan, McCarron

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 17:52 GMT (UK) »
When you see 'house, offices, land' the offices refer to outbuildings such as barns, byres, stables, piggeries, etc. Farmers still talk of 'office housing' when refering to these.

If there was a mill at the time of Griffith's Valuation it would say so- i.e. 'flax-mill', 'corn-mill', etc. Usually when a mill was listed under the column 'Area' there's a dash.

For the 'missing' mill in Ardbrennan have you looked in Griffith's under the townland and checked to see if anyone else could be running the mill? I'm not familiar with that part of Ireland but I couldn't see a Casey in Ardbrennan but there is a Thomas Casey in Rathskeagh townland in Killare parish.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget they may have rented the mill.......sorry...but...if they did they would have needed a house too.

Maybe try to find who lived in that town/townland to see if any names connect with yours??

Also....are you sure they were grain mills or woolen mills etc... were they flour mills??

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 18:33 GMT (UK) »
In those days most people would have been tenants. Names of tenants and their immediate lessors are listed in one of the columns in Griffith's.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!