Author Topic: St Mary's Tenby - graveyard transcriptions  (Read 9216 times)

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
St Mary's Tenby - graveyard transcriptions
« on: Wednesday 12 November 08 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I recently went FH hunting to Tenby - got loads of information for which I was very pleased with.  However I was very disappointed when I went to the graveyard at St Mary's in Tenby.  The small graveyard looked as if had been dug up, with all the tomb stones laid on top of each other -- no hope of reading any of the graves.  Is there a local FH society who has transcribed the grave stones?

I am also interested in finding the grave stone of one of the rectors of St Marys.  I understand it could be in the church itself.  I walked inside the church (truly stunning) and read all the ones I could but Rev Edward Hughes was elusive, although I found one of his sons.  I have a vague recollection of something whence tomb stones of the Rectors may be under carpet for protection - again I am interested in this grave stone.

sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline tenby tart

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Mary's Tenby - graveyard transcriptions
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 November 08 09:14 GMT (UK) »
I agree with you Sallysmum the graveyard is in a bad state my Dad is in the new cemetry buried there 2 years ago its a different world compared to the old one.

How long ago did the Rev Hughes pass away I will try to make some inquiries.

Regards Lynne
Weare Monmouthshire
Bossolo Besselo Italy
Watkins Risca Monmouthshire
Perry Birmingham

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 November 08 10:28 GMT (UK) »
HI Lynne

Many thanks for your offer.  Rev Hughes was buried feb 6th 1811

kind regards

Wendy
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline Jtyner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 November 08 20:22 GMT (UK) »
may i ask what has happened to st Mary's Graveyard?
my grt grandfather William Williams was pianist in the church there for a time and my grandmother was married there in 1935.
there is a plaque to comemmorate william near the organ on the wall to the right as you walk in.
i hope the graves are all ok.
john in ireland
Williams: Morriston Llangyfelach, Clydach Pontardawe
Jones: Monmouthshire, Caerphilly, Llandefeilog Carmarthen
Hutton: bells hill co. Down, northern Ireland and Dublin
Price: Caerphilly
Lewis: Pembrokeshire
Devonald: Moylegrove Pembrokeshire
David/Davies: Llanelly camarthenshire
Clement: Glamorgan

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
As far as I could see, the grave most of the gravestones had been stacked in a corner of the tiny graveyard, with just a couple of tombs still lying.  I am new to this game so I don't know the reason for this.

Inside the church there are various tombstones creating the floor of the church - has this been allocated a new resting place?  There were also various plaques around the walls of the inside - I'm sure your grandfather's memorial would still have been on display.

sallysmum
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline DArcyByrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sallysmum

I am descended from Rev Edward Hughes' daughter Anne who married in India in 1821. I have been to Tenby and they dug out the stones in 1960s without taking any sort of records - they left them around the walls and peploe stole them. I have some information on the family and lots on Anne's decendants in Australia.

Offline DArcyByrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I went to Tenby to find Rev Edward Hughes my 3x Great Granfather and they told me they had removed all the gravestones because the graveyard was dangerous and the upkeep was too much. They placed them around the walls but lots of them were stolen. He was married to Sarah Rees and they had 13 children including two sets of twins. I have more details of them.

Margaret

Offline pinner-girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 August 14 21:27 BST (UK) »
I've just been reading these posts about the graveyard at St Mary's.  How sad that the headstones were removed and stacked around the edge, - even worse that some were then stolen.

I am wondering whether the headstones of people who were buried there in the 1960's would be visible at all, especially since there is obviously a newer part to the cemetery.  The names of the people I am interested in are LAURA KENT (buried 24/12/62) and HENRY GEORGE KENT (buried 22/12/64).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Caliandris

• RootsChat Extra
  • My great grandmother, Lottie Dickins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 December 14 07:32 GMT (UK) »
I think my ancestor John Hughes was the brother of Edward Hughes.  Can anyone point me to some information about the family?  He was Mayor of Carmarthen and married to Sarah Spence.  He died in 1827.
Spivey, Hughes, Jones Carmarthen 19th c
Spivey, Armitage in Almondbury, Yorkshire 18th c
Dickins Staffordshire and Birmingham 18th and 19th c
Aldridge, Robey, Jearrad in London 18th and 19th
Pitt and Westlake Devon 17th and 18th c
Earwaker London and Hampshire 18th and 19th
Fitzpatrick in The Rower, Kilkenny, Ireland
Clarke, Hewitt, Starkey, Green in Cheshire 19th and 20th