Author Topic: COMPLETED WITH THANKS KEEFFE to NZ in 1865 and where did they go to!  (Read 10130 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: KEEFFE to NZ in 1865 and where did they go to!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 November 08 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Del,

I had not noticed that!  John and James were also used by my Gran's brother who settled in California after at life as a steward on liners doing the San Fran, Hawaii, Islands, NZ and East Coast of Aust runs with mail and passengers from say 1901 to post WW2.  

My first cousin and I have loads of oral history, and every time we start to track any item down that our Gran shared with us, we discover she was very truthful, and had good memory, and left us lots of clues to follow.  Its the joining of the dots, and getting the reference numbers to obtain certificates and the like that is our goal!

You are a great help, and I am sure my cousin (not a PC owner) will be delighted when I snail mail him the info to date!

I thank you from us both!

MA
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 November 08 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi ggd

Michael died 1 6 1953, Mary died 3 11 1946, and there is a James in the plot next to there's that died 24 7 1937. http://rid.fndc.govt.nz/searchform.php have a look on here. Kaeo is close to the top of the North Island.

Probate for Michael http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/CallSimpleSearch.do have  look on here. If you enter the Keeffe there are only 9 entries. Robert Mitchel Mclean is on here also.

From the NZSG Index

Michael married Mary Goulton in 1902, folio 3382.
Patrick married Ethel Emily Storey in 1889, folio 1968
Julia married Edward Vasey in 1876, folio 1669
Ethel Emily Keeffe married Robert Mitchel Mclean in 1912, folio 1908
Ellen Emily Keeffe married Edmund Couniham in 1911, folio 4340

There are two entries for a John Keeffe a marriage to a Rose Clancy in 1869, folio 1496 ad another marriage entry in 1921 to Elvina Elizabeth Esler. Maybe related?

Thers a probate for an Ellen Counihan , Place: Waikouaiti, Occupation: Widow, Court: Dunedin, Probate Number: 22880, Filed 19 June 1947, held at Dunedin Archives.

Regards

lil

Ireland, Scotland , England, America, Australia, New Zealand

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 November 08 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lil,

Thank you, I seem to be on track, this is great info, I am very appreciative.  I ought to have posted on this board long ago!

Cheers,

MA

You and Del are just the tops!  I think I will phone my cousin rather than snail mail him !
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 November 08 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Great work Del and Lil :D

Cheers
KHP :D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 November 08 08:54 GMT (UK) »
The Fencible surnames were: ALLEN, CRUISE, PILCHER and variations on that spelling.  Bootmaker was the most usual occupation mentioned, but that too is oral history.

Did you have all the info you wanted on these families? If not start a new thread with what you need and I'll look in the fencible book  ;D
Bye
Althea

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 November 08 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am not sure if I have all the info I need, I will take a day to digest all this info, and will let you all know if I need to start a new thread.

I am in awe of the wonderful skills and willingness to share and help.

Many thanks.

MA

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 November 08 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Update,

I have ordered various transcripts of bdm info listed in this thread.  I will keep thread open so that I can include the information on those transcripts when they arrive.  It can take 3 - 4 weeks for these to come as I am in NSW Australia. 

I thank everyone who has helped me and I recommend anyone reading this thread - at any time in the days, months, years, decades ahead - to realise that the contributors to this thread have never met me, and yet willingly helped, without expecting any reward.  To me this is a PRICELESS contribution, volunteering their time -

I salute you all.

Cheers,

T H A N K  Y O U everyone.

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 November 08 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi ggd

I'm not sure if you are aware, there is a Keefe Family Genealogy Forum http://genforum.genealogy.com/keefe/all.html  It could be possible they maybe found under this alternative spelling for the Keeffe name.

Regards

lil
Ireland, Scotland , England, America, Australia, New Zealand

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 November 08 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Re JULIA KEEFFE
Would she have been born about 1850?

There is JULIA VAZEY at Waikumete cem d 1898 age 38
http://www.waitakere.govt.nz/cnlser/cm/cemeterysearch/cemeterydetails.aspx?id=36354
1876 marriage folio 1660 EDWARD VASEY

Bye
Althea