Author Topic: COMPLETED WITH THANKS KEEFFE to NZ in 1865 and where did they go to!  (Read 10129 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: KEEFFE to NZ in 1865 and where did they go to!
« Reply #18 on: Friday 14 November 08 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, me again,

Yes, I think Julia would be born about 1860.  The nz papers past lists the passengers and the children are not listed by their alpha first name, nor by gender, so I have presumed they are listed by their order of birth.  If that were the case, then these children of John and Ellen Keeffe were

Patrick, John, Julia, Michael and Ellen. 

From the marriage and death of John (the one who was sibling, not his dad), John was born c1858, Dublin, Ireland.  So Julia was possibly born after him. 

On the other hand, Michael Keeffe - the 95 year old who died June 1953 - if he was same as the lad who arrived on The Armstrong, Feb 1865, then he was born c1858 too, but listed after Julia in the newspaper cutting.

Re Julia Keeffe who married Vazey, and who died at age 38
I have much to ponder and think about. 

My non PC cousin is delighted, and my phone bill will be a tad on the rich side!

Cheers All

MA
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 November 08 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I ordered several certificates perhaps a week or so ago, and these could take up to 4 weeks to arrive from NZ to Aust.  When I have these, I will post the information here, and then in the New Year, I will start a new thread, (and then close down this thread)

Cheers, everyone, and many thanks to for the information you have found and passed on to me.

You are all grand peeps. 
T H A N K   Y O U,   Thankyou, and THANKYOU again and again.
MA
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 27 November 08 08:59 GMT (UK) »
A number of KEEFFEs on the Burial Locator as well, mostly at Kaeo, but a couple at Burke's Pass in Canterbury, including a Bridget in 1906 aged 51.

Bridget Mary KEEFFE died 22 Feb 1906 aged 51 years also James KEEFFE died 10 August 1910 aged 57 years, plus an Alice Annie died 1st Feb 1918 aged 42. Another family by the look of it.

There is also a Jeremiah at Kelvin Grove in Palmerston North, died 16 Dec 1956 aged 99 years.

Michael married Mary GOULTON

Year   1902
Folio   3382
Surname   GOULTON
Given Names   Mary
Sex   F
Spouse   KEEFFE

Year   1902
Folio   3382
Surname   KEEFFE
Given Names   Michael
Sex   M
Spouse   GOULTON

There is a Mary buried at Kaeo in 1946 aged 90.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shane vazey

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 May 09 01:48 BST (UK) »
[img]http://hi

My name is Shane Vazey from New Zealand
I've just started researching my family history.
I will go through my stuff when I have a little more time and get back to you re: Vazey
My understanding is that there was only one family of Vazeys with that exact spelling who immigrated to NZ.
There are others like Vasey (lots in oz as well) and Vessey
I'm in Kalgoorlie, but I have first cousins in Eastern Australia.

Kind regards and happy hunting.
SV ;)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 04 May 09 02:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

I have been trying to contact you for several months.  Please PM me when you read this.  Julia Keeffe married a Vazey.   Cheers,  Just Moi.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 04 May 09 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Julia Keeffe married Edward Vazey in 1876 in NZ.  I am fairly sure Edward was brother to George.  George Vazey married Emma in NZ in 1874.   Julia was my Gran's aunt. 
I am in Australia.

Cheers, Just Moi.

EDIT TO ADD:

Have just checked the NZBDM online website, VAZEY is how they have those two marriages recorded.  Julia to Edward is 1876/1527; Emma Carder  to George is 1874/9124[/i]

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 01:16 BST (UK) »
MISTAKEN POST SORRY

Offline LawrencePowell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED WITH THANKS KEEFFE to NZ in 1865 and where did they go to!
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Majm,

I am descendent of Julia Keeffe and Edward Henry Vazey. 
Vazeys: Edward Henry and George Frederick were the sons of Henry Vazey and Margaret Rand, all from West Ham, Essex.  Vazey is the spelling on the UK censuses and parish registers.  Henry died 1852 in Poplar, London; the boys were living with thier mother's brother Philip Rand in Plaistow at 1861 Census.  There is an 1861 census for Margaret Vazey as an inn visitor in Richmond.  Margaret became the wife of Mr George Andrews but I haven't found a marriage record. 

Margaret and George Andrews emigrated to Auckland 1864 on the Ardbeg/Ardberg.  Edward and George followed in 1865 on the Aliquis.

Ellen Keeffe: (mother of Julia who married Edward Henry Vazey) - here is Ellen's death notice, 6 March 1876, at Union St, which ties in with what you remembered!  Also confirms John as serving in 55th Regiment:
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=NZH18760308.2.9&srpos=29&e=-------50-NZH-1-byDA-on--0keeffe

That would match to John Keeffe, labourer, Union St from the Electrol Roll.

I am currently collating info on Julia Keeffe and Edward Henry Vazey's descendants and am happy to share information.

I would love a copy of any certificates and any further information you have.  I'm especially interested in the info about the NSW-NZ relationships into the 1940s that you mentioned.  May I kindly request that you PM me.

Regards, Lawrence.
(Edward Vazey m. Julia Keeffe 1876) (William Douglas m. Rachel Reid 1863) (George Nicole Douglas m. Ellen Vazey 1903)
(Horace Powell m. Sarah Maher 1875)(John Cooper m. Sarah Barrett 1876)(James Powell m. Mary Cooper 1904)

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED WITH THANKS KEEFFE to NZ in 1865 and where did they go to!
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 13 September 12 01:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Lawrence, and welcome to RootsChat. ;D

Members need to make at least three posts for the Personal Message facility to be activated.

Can I suggest you reply twice more to this topic (even a smiley will do) aftwer which you can send a PM to Majm yourself if you wish.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL