Author Topic: McGoohan's, McGouchan,McOgh,McGowen Uphall,Broxburn Winchburgh  (Read 14933 times)

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
McGoohan's, McGouchan,McOgh,McGowen Uphall,Broxburn Winchburgh
« on: Thursday 13 November 08 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Folks,

I have now established another link to our McGoohan family.  We know that Bridget DID come to Scotland.  We also know that she brought her family with her.  We had been able to establish that she had a daughter Mary, c1839,(lived in Edinburgh and seems to have married a Kelly) Bridget, c1835, married Edward McCann and lived in Uphall, died in 1888 at Simpsons Row. Patrick c1834, married Sarah conway in Edinburgh in 1859 and lived out his days in Edinburgh dying in 1903. I have now found another son called Edward, c1832.  Edward married Catherine McCabe in 1856 at Linlithgow.  He worked in the Oil works and died in Dechmont in 1881.  Catherine looks to have gone on to live in Linlithgow and was an outdoor worker shortly after  his death.  There were several children of the marriage,

John, c1857,Michael 1861, Patrick1867, Bridget1875, Ellen c1874, Francis, 1871, James 1869, Margaret, 1876.  Also listed with Catherine in the 1881 census was her father John McCabe.

I know that John c1857 did not marry and lived in Greendykes Road with the Donahue family over a period of several years.  I have not followed through the rest of the children as yet.

It has been suggested that the name had evolved in the area to' McOugh.'

Any suggestions or ideas would be good, as would any further info.

Many thanks for your help again,
Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline firthview

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McGoohan's, McGouchan,McOgh,McGowen Uphall,Broxburn Winchburgh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 November 08 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindyloo 6  the only family named McGoohan in the 1881 census was

Dewars Close ,St Johns ,Edinburgh

Patrick McGoohan  44  masons labourer b 1837 Ireland

Sarah     """""""""  40  Wife                     b 1841 Ireland

Mary       out door worker 20                   b  Edinburgh
Thomas                  9                                b Edinburgh
Francis                    4                               b Edinburgh
Felix                        18 months                b Edinburgh
Thomas Conway lodger 34  tobacco spinner  b Ireland
Graham---Dumfries
Johnston---Mid Calder
Lyon----Abbey Parish
Sherlock---Ireland
Mcleish----Ireland and Scotland

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 November 08 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Firthveiw,

Thanks forth is info.  I have all this, so do not be offended.
I am looking for info from west lothian as this is what has been coming to light over the last few days.

regards,
Lynda
Horan,  Edinburgh.

Offline ullswater

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 March 09 20:51 GMT (UK) »
As your subject suggests, there are many variations on the spelling of McGoohan.  I am researching the McGeown branch that came from Derrynoose, Keady, Co. Armagh to West Lothian in 1890 or thereabouts.  The parish records from Keady show surnames as McGeough, McGeon, and McGone although all children definitely have the same parents in Stephen McGeown and Mary Kirk; my guess is that the parents had no idea how to spell their own surname and the entries to the parish registers are based on how the name sounded when spoken.
Interestingly, of those who came over, John (11 October 1857) and his brother Thomas (25 May 1862) lived with their sister Sarah (15 February 1860) who became Sarah Donoghue and who lived at 98 Greendykes Road; that detail comes from the 1891 census.  Their siblings were Ellen (29 April 1865), Margaret (21 July 1867), Catherine (13 February 1870), Stephen Patrick (24 March 1872), Henry (25 August 1874), and James (14 July 1878).
It may be that the McGeowns that I am looking at are related to your McGoohans who seem to have come to Scotland in the earlier years of the shale oil boom.
Have a look at http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/130.html for an excerpt from the 1918 Royal Commission Report on Housing that describes housing in Greendykes Road.  The report also has descriptions of Niddire (Winchburgh) and other local housing.   

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 March 09 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ullswater,

My mind is spinning with this info.  I am wondering if they are indeed the same family.  I have been mindful all along that our ancesters were illiterate and that the strong Irish accent would be interpreted in a different manner by scottish interpreters.  I have done this myself and been quite surprised when asking the other person to 'spell' what they have said.  However, as our ancesters could not check what was written, it has been difficult to confirm in some cases if the families are the same families.  I have my tree on GR if you would like to veiw it, but am not sure how to let you access it. 

Keep in touch and I will let you know what else I can confirm.

Take care,
Lynda
Horan,  Edinburgh.

Offline ullswater

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 March 09 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lyndyloo6,
I have pretty much hit a roadblock on my Irish ancestors due to the Irish Governments destruction of census records and the fire during the civil war that destroyed many other genealogical records.  Fortunately, an elderly relative thought that the family had lived in Keady and a letter to the local church there prompted a very welcome confirmation as they scoured their parish records to give me much valuable information.  I have good information on the members of the family who went to Broxburn; John, Thomas, Sarah, Catherine and James Stephen, but nothing on those who remained in Ireland.  Marriages in Broxburn or Winchburgh brought in surnames such as Donoghue, Mcmenemy, Gallagher, McArdle, Mckenzie, Stevens, Barrett, Philbin, Devine and O'Brien.  Mary & Rose Donoghue, children of Sarah McGeown Donoghue, both worked in a lowly capacity (chambermaid and laundress) for the Royal Family in London (George V and the late Queen Mother).
 :)

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 March 09 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I know about the I rish brickwall.  We seem to have hit it as well.  We have been looking at our family being the same as Patrick McGoohan and there seems to be some evidence to confirm it.  I have been working on this for some time now and it is all pointing this way...so who knows.

Lynda
Horan,  Edinburgh.

Offline sasha3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 July 10 05:06 BST (UK) »
The Donoghue/Donoghoe/Donachue family who lived in Greendykes Road, were cousins to the McCanns who lived at the lower end of it. Rose worked at Windsor Castle and was in charge of the King's apartments. There was never any indication that Mary had worked there. Apparently she worked at a big house in the Border area. James McGeown, brother to Sarah lived with his family diagonally across from the Donoghue/etc. The family consisted of Cath, Henry, James Jnr, Nellie, Rose and I believe Ellen or Helen. Rose emigrated to South Africa with her husband. James (Snr) died in a traffic accident.

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 July 10 14:24 BST (UK) »
WOW, what a surprise.  I have not been doing much recently as the weather is too good to miss.  Have been out and about up north (Aberdeen) whilst the weeather has been good looking at my side of the family.  Broxburn is 20 miles away from me, so is manangable in the winter.  Have also been doing a course at Dundee Uni which has given me a better insight to all the records that exist.  This is amazing info and I will look at it more closely after the kids have gone home.
I did phone the preist at Broxburn, who told me that the McGoochans and MccANN families were very well respected and become very professional people.  He could not say if they were linked to our families though.  May have to go and search the parish records.  I have never found burial sites for  Bridget and family though.  I will keep searching though.  Was just saying to my husband that I was going to spend some more time doing his side.
Keep in touch,
Kind regards,
Lynda
Horan,  Edinburgh.