Author Topic: Sheriff Clerk of Banffshire.  (Read 9715 times)

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
Sheriff Clerk of Banffshire.
« on: Thursday 13 November 08 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
Just a general question.

Does anyone know what the Sheriff Clerk of Banffshire actually did?
Was he a factor on an estate or something? I have looked but have failed to come up with an answer.

In particular, I am interested in Patrick Rose (1780-1844) who I assume became Sheriff Clerk on his father's death in 1807.

I'm just interested as to what he actually did.

Hope someone can help.

regards
Windsor87
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sheriff Clerk of Banffshire.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 November 08 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Today this is an official in the Sheriff Courts and it seems likely that Rose was the same. Where did you look?  If you Google "Sheriff Clerk" there is a mass of information on the web where you can check this out.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 November 08 22:41 GMT (UK) »
I  have some information on Patrick Rose.He's my ancestor too.What do you have on him already?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 November 08 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello flst,

I don't really have too much on Patrick Rose.
I know that he was born in King Edward on 12 November 1780.
He died in Banff on 2nd July 1844.

My connection to him is that he and Anne Forsythe had an illegitimate daughter, Mary Rose (c.1802-1858), my greatx5 grandmother.

Unfortunately when I viewed Mary Rose's death certificate of 1858 about 1 year ago, I seem to have comepletely overlooked the fact that Patrick's occupation was 'Sheriff Clerk'. So you can imagine my surprise when I was reviewing old documents and realised what his occupation was.

Patrick's father, William Rose, was also a Sheriff Clerk of Banffshire probably from 1801 until his death in 1807. I have reason to believe (but very little proof) that William was the factor to the 2nd Earl Fife. Patrick's mother was Mary Robinson (1757-1838), the daughter of a tweed manufacturer.

On Patrick himself, I have very little information. An inventory of 1844 shows that he left £87 sterling of worldly goods when he died, as well as a contested life insurance policy worth £1,500 sterling.

Hope this can be of some use to you? I will be doing some research on the Rose family connections tomorrow. I will let you know if I find anything.

regards
Windsor87
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 November 08 23:07 GMT (UK) »
The Sheriff's Clerk was basically a Civil Servant who was a cross between the head of administration for the Court and a personal assistant to the Sheriff.

The status of the clerk depended largely upon the status of the Sheriffdom and in some smaller areas may have only been a part time job.

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 November 08 23:09 GMT (UK) »
The Sheriff's Clerk was basically a Civil Servant who was a cross between the head of administration for the Court and a personal assistant to the Sheriff.

The status of the clerk depended largely upon the status of the Sheriffdom and in some smaller areas may have only been a part time job.

I see. Thanks for the information, Falkyrn.

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 November 08 11:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm now pretty sure that Patrick's father was the factor of the Earl of Fife. If it is, indeed, the right William Rose, we may be in luck:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&id=cRE4JDKKeMsC&dq=henrietta+tayler&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=G3hQkAPyMR&sig=tICSD0DbzaDJJ77hiIBX3_PqTpk&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 November 08 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes,it is the correct William Rose.He married Mary Robinson on 2 Jan 1773.They had at least 12 children.I also have a copy of the inventory of Patrick's. I am sure Mary Rose was his illegitimate daughter.Her mother was Anne Forsyth.From information I got from the internet,Patrick Rose married Maria Theresa Wemyss on 18th December 1815,at Craighall.This needs to be further checked out. I also found out a lot by googling his name.That's a great book you found!I'm sending you a pm with some more info on this particular Rose family.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 November 08 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Here is the man himself, Patrick Rose (1780-1844).

Unfortunately it is not a very good copy. The book from which it was taken is a reference only book, so I had to have it scanned at the University (their scanners are really only meant for texts).