Author Topic: Sheriff Clerk of Banffshire.  (Read 9712 times)

Offline heedrapper

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sheriff Clerk of Banffshire.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 July 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Windsor,
I know its an old post, but I have this on Patrick, and if you go to my rootsweb pages you can find more on his siblings and ancestors...................   
 http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SRCH&db=heedrapper&surname=A

Patrick Rose, had an illegitimate daughter, Mary Rose, to Ann Forsyth in about 1802. Patrick Rose was the fifth child of William Rose and Mary Robinson. He received his early education in Banff before being sent to Edinburgh at age 17 to study law. “Though only a year younger than his brother Alexander, who was completely ruined from his earliest youth by injudicious spoiling and extravagance, Patrick was from the beginning brought up as a poor man’s son. Though he never seems to have had the charm and affectionate nature which distinguished the three younger brothers George, Andrew, and Hay, and though in after-life he was involved in financial disaster for himself and others, yet in his youth he was certainly “the industrious apprentice”, and never brought sorrow or disgrace on his parents and family, like the three wild soldiers, William, John and Alexander”. When Patrick concluded his studies in Edinburgh, he returned to Banff in 1801, where he resided for the rest of his life. From 1804 until his death in 1844, he retained the position of Sheriff-Clerk of Banffshire, a position his father William Rose had secured for himself and his son from the 2nd Lord Fife. It was Patrick and his elder brother, Rose-Innes, who carried out much of the correspondence in trying to pay off their father’s debts even before his death. It was Patrick who saw to it that his father’s land was sold off in 1804, and Patrick who tried to sell his father’s two voting certificates after his death. In 1815 Patrick married Maria Wemyss. By all account the marriage was not a happy one. The couple separated at one point, Maria leaving Patrick to live in France with the children. She returned to England after Patrick’s death where she died in 1875. The financial disaster spoken of in the above quote is a reference to Patrick’s worth at death. An inventory of 1844 shows that on death, his belongs were valued at 87 pounds sterling and 6 pence. The inventory also tells that there was a life insurance policy worth 1,500 pounds sterling being disputed. It would appear that Patrick did not keep his payments up to date, and as a result the company refused to pay out on his death.

SCOTLAND:
Rose of Kilravock,
Roses in Peebles-shire,
Roses in Aberdeenshire

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 July 10 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Windsor,
I know its an old post, but I have this on Patrick, and if you go to my rootsweb pages you can find more on his siblings and ancestors...................   
 http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SRCH&db=heedrapper&surname=A

Patrick Rose, had an illegitimate daughter, Mary Rose, to Ann Forsyth in about 1802. Patrick Rose was the fifth child of William Rose and Mary Robinson. He received his early education in Banff before being sent to Edinburgh at age 17 to study law. “Though only a year younger than his brother Alexander, who was completely ruined from his earliest youth by injudicious spoiling and extravagance, Patrick was from the beginning brought up as a poor man’s son. Though he never seems to have had the charm and affectionate nature which distinguished the three younger brothers George, Andrew, and Hay, and though in after-life he was involved in financial disaster for himself and others, yet in his youth he was certainly “the industrious apprentice”, and never brought sorrow or disgrace on his parents and family, like the three wild soldiers, William, John and Alexander”. When Patrick concluded his studies in Edinburgh, he returned to Banff in 1801, where he resided for the rest of his life. From 1804 until his death in 1844, he retained the position of Sheriff-Clerk of Banffshire, a position his father William Rose had secured for himself and his son from the 2nd Lord Fife. It was Patrick and his elder brother, Rose-Innes, who carried out much of the correspondence in trying to pay off their father’s debts even before his death. It was Patrick who saw to it that his father’s land was sold off in 1804, and Patrick who tried to sell his father’s two voting certificates after his death. In 1815 Patrick married Maria Wemyss. By all account the marriage was not a happy one. The couple separated at one point, Maria leaving Patrick to live in France with the children. She returned to England after Patrick’s death where she died in 1875. The financial disaster spoken of in the above quote is a reference to Patrick’s worth at death. An inventory of 1844 shows that on death, his belongs were valued at 87 pounds sterling and 6 pence. The inventory also tells that there was a life insurance policy worth 1,500 pounds sterling being disputed. It would appear that Patrick did not keep his payments up to date, and as a result the company refused to pay out on his death.

Thats interesting.
I could have sworn I wrote the above passage.  ???
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline heedrapper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 July 10 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Windsor,
You may well have done, someone sent it to me a couple of years ago, but I forget who it was, (perhaps it was you??)

There is book called "The Domestic Papers of the Rose Family" Edited by Alistair & Henrietta Tayler, in which Patrick is featured. Chapter 8, Pages 117-131, some other interesting stuff about him there too.

Bill
SCOTLAND:
Rose of Kilravock,
Roses in Peebles-shire,
Roses in Aberdeenshire

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 July 10 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Windsor,
You may well have done, someone sent it to me a couple of years ago, but I forget who it was, (perhaps it was you??)

There is book called "The Domestic Papers of the Rose Family" Edited by Alistair & Henrietta Tayler, in which Patrick is featured. Chapter 8, Pages 117-131,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I think you must have got it from one of my contacts - I have sent out this information sheet to two or three people. I'm glad to see its being used to help people.

I own a copy of the 'Domestic Papers of the Rose Family'. Its currently out on loan to one of my contacts.  ;D

Michael
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline heedrapper

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 July 10 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Windsor,
Thanks, I will ammend my worldconnect page, to include you as author.

Bill
SCOTLAND:
Rose of Kilravock,
Roses in Peebles-shire,
Roses in Aberdeenshire

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 July 10 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Windsor,
Thanks, I will ammend my worldconnect page, to include you as author.

Bill
Thats alright, Bill.

I have had a look at your website. I am very interested in the information you have on Patrick's spouse, Anne Forsyth. I have failed to find anything about her (birth, marriage or death). The only proof I have of her existance is her name on her daughter's death certificate.

Could you give me more information on Anne Forsyth please?

Michael

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 July 10 23:21 BST (UK) »
Windsor87, according to the link heedrapper gave us Ann Forsyth was born 1781 & died in 1841 in East Retford,Nottinghamshire. Will need checking out I reckon!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 July 10 23:27 BST (UK) »
Windsor87, according to the link heedrapper gave us Ann Forsyth was born 1781 & died in 1841 in East Retford,Nottinghamshire. Will need checking out I reckon!
flst

Thats why I'm enquiring - Nottinghamshire seems a bit out of the way. But then I suppose the Sheriff-Clerk of Banffshire may have wanted to get rid of her.

With regards to his illegitimate daughter Mary Rose, I am convinced she was 'looked after' by Rose relatives in Aberdour. Mary Robinson (widow Rose) was based in Boydlie, and one of Patrick's sisters married into the Gordons of Aberdour. I only need to find some actual proof.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 July 10 14:17 BST (UK) »
I clicked on the link you provided for the book about the Rose family & searched for Nottingham.On page 174 I found that Mary Robinson's  family had mills at Nottingham & Papplewick. One brother returned north & founded cotton & stocking mills in Banff. Two of the family members became Provosts of Banff. Perhaps Ann Forsyth did end up in Nottinghamshire?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.