Author Topic: Burial Index's for Newbattle and Newton  (Read 75570 times)

Offline Elaine48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Index's for Newbattle and Newton
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 February 09 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Wonder why I'm not receiving email about these posts?

Sorry I couldn't find these names. The problem is there are so many of them and so many
mixed names in one lair. How they did these burials I don't know. There are 2 children
in my grgrgrandparents graves that I haven't a clue who they are. There was only 2 Nicol's
in the whole place which is very surprising considering what a common name it was.

Nicol, stillborn, Newtongrange, interred 30/04/1917 (In a grave with 7 other surnames.

No Lair: Jane Nicol, aged 55, Bonnyrigg, Cockpen, interred 25/09/1860

Do you have any married names for the daughters?

Elaine

This is only a possibility but worth a go if the Newbattle records go back to the early/mid 1800's.

Looking for John Thomson (sorry, saw your previous note on that surname), and his wife Euphemia Thomson, nee Nicol. I have no approx deaths on either, however, both were born Newbattle, he abt 1769, and she abt 1773. Their six children were also born Newbattle. Euphen 1795, Janet 1796, Margaret 1798, Marion 1800, Helen 1802 and John 1805. So I presume parents died sometime after 1805, and probably(?) before 1870.

Hope that helps, but if too difficult, not to worry.

Les

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 February 09 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the lookup, Elaine.

"Do you have any married names for the daughters?"

I'm only researching direct ancestors, so I've only got the one married name for the daughter. 

Margaret THOMSON married (first)  25/4/1816 at St.Cuthberts, Liberton to George DOBIE. He died early 1830's. Her second marriage 12/8/1857 at Dalkeith to David ARMSTRONG. His death details are unknown, but Margaret is shown as a widow in 1851 Census. She d.2/2/1857 Dalkeith, being buried New Church Yard, Dalkeith.

Not being a "local", I'm unsure whether Dalkeith is covered by your indexes.

"Wonder why I'm not receiving email about these posts?"

Don't know, but I know of a couple of threads that do not notify me by email, so I check my "New Replies" link every so often just to make sure I'm not missing out on anything. I did receive an email for this thread.

Les

de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline BFW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 February 09 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info on Abraham Archibald and Marjory Robertson Elaine.  We do have ancestors in common as Abraham Archibald (the grandson) and his wife Catherine Moffatt are my second great grandparents. 

Barb
Canada
Lancashire: Shaw, Kirkpatrick, Owen, Nadin
Cheshire: Bamforth, Kirkpatrick, Higginbotham,
Fife: Archibald, Bowman, Beveridge, Black, Penman, Wilson
MidLothian: Penman, Robertson, Steel

Offline Elaine48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 February 09 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barb,

I don't know how much you know about Newton parish but I have researched it for years, and have some amazing information and photographs etc. If you are interested please send me a private message.

Elaine

Offline Elaine48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 February 09 14:13 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome Les, sorry it wasn't much use.

I should have mentioned this is the Burial Index for the old Newbattle cemetery which I visited a couple of years ago and is in a very dangerous state of repair. Most of the graves stones have had to be knocked down due to safety concerns, the grounds are full of sunken graves. The council who knock the stones down don't worry about
whether the stone is right side up or not, so very often you can't read the names. However the actual index is kept at the Lothians FHS. The Newbattle new cemetery is in much better condition. This hasn't been completely
transcribed yet but will be available eventually.

Liberton is a seperate parish from St. Cuthberts. St. Cuthberts is in the heart of Edinburgh city whereas
Liberton like Newbattle, Dalkeith and other mining villages is on the outskirts. The majority of residents in the
outlining villages such as these were coalminers or farm workers. Anyone living in St. Cuthberts would
probably not have worked in these industries as there were no mines/farms in the actual city of Edinburgh.
My point being that Margaret would have been married in either Liberton or St. Cuthberts depending if her
husband was from there which would make him a different occupation.

There are a number of Armstrongs, no David's though and no Dobies. Dalkeith grave yard is also
seperate from Newbattle. I will be going there this summer though I don't think the actual written index is available yet. Will look and take as many photos as I can.

Elaine

Thanks very much for the lookup, Elaine.

"Do you have any married names for the daughters?"

I'm only researching direct ancestors, so I've only got the one married name for the daughter. 

Margaret THOMSON married (first)  25/4/1816 at St.Cuthberts, Liberton to George DOBIE. He died early 1830's. Her second marriage 12/8/1857 at Dalkeith to David ARMSTRONG. His death details are unknown, but Margaret is shown as a widow in 1851 Census. She d.2/2/1857 Dalkeith, being buried New Church Yard, Dalkeith.

Not being a "local", I'm unsure whether Dalkeith is covered by your indexes.

"Wonder why I'm not receiving email about these posts?"

Don't know, but I know of a couple of threads that do not notify me by email, so I check my "New Replies" link every so often just to make sure I'm not missing out on anything. I did receive an email for this thread.

Les

Offline sueky71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 February 09 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine,

Could you check for any Kennaway/Kennoway's please.

Thanks

Sueky
Census information, Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Kennaway, Britton, Cruickshank, Jamieson, Wood, Braidwood, Swan, Inglis (Dalkeith, Edinburgh, Greenock, Glasgow, Lanarks)
Cotton, Wood, Beckwith, Edwards, Rutland, Burgess, Davies (Liverpool, Lancashire, Cheshire, Bucks, Staffs)

Offline tom505

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 February 09 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine

Do you have any mention of Sneddon/en, Snaddon/en in your index.  A Janet Easton married a William Sneddon, coalminer c. 1800, probably Muiravonside , Stirling. They are in the 1841 census for Cranston, but Janet is widowed by 1851.

There is reference on Family Search to the death of Janet Easton, wife of William Sneddon in 1854, "Newton Grange, Newbattle", but no mention of the source of the information.

Thanks

Tom
Henderson, Stoddart, Baillie, Bathgate, Denholm, Hardie, Whitecross, Whitson, Young, Morrison, Tosh, Sneddon, Crookston, Edington, Anderson

Offline Elaine48

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 February 09 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine,

Could you check for any Kennaway/Kennoway's please.

Thanks

Sueky

Which grave index would you like me to look in? Newbattle or Newton?

Elaine

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 February 09 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the very informative reply, Elaine.

Hopefully (and I mean HOPEFULLY!), my intentions for 2010 are to travel to the UK for a month or so, and drive through all(?) the towns/villages of England, Scotland and Ireland where the ancestors lived. A lot of planning, but also very rewarding. No doubt Newbattle, Dalkeith, etc will be included.

Once again, thanks for your time and effort. Even though you were unable to help with my specific question, your replies were very helpful.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!