Author Topic: Worsley Street, Hulme Completed. Thanks  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Elaine168

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Worsley Street, Hulme Completed. Thanks
« on: Friday 14 November 08 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Does any one have a map showing this street around 1850/56 please. My g grandfather was born at no 11 in 1856.

As his father was a coal merchant, I am interested in the accessibility to coal leaving the canal networks.

Thanks

Elaine
Hodson, Dearden, Croft, Redman, Mather (all in Lancs), Davies (Salop) Murphy, Daly, Worton (Ireland)

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Worsley Street, Hulme
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 November 08 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Worsley St was off Egerton Street, where the Bridgewater Canal passes the river Medlock and the Medlock joins the Irwell.  It will be named after the Worsley collieries which were owned by the duke of Bridgewater ( I got that off the back of the map - Godfrey Map no 32 Manchester Castlefield, 1848 )

Its near to St George's church. Go to the genuki page here  http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Hulme/StGeorge.shtml  for St George's church and follow the link for 'Old Maps'.  You get the location of St Georges and surroundings in 1848. Just north of the church is a dark block by the words 'Sand Pit'  (zoom in to see). That is Worsley St.

:) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elaine168

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Worsley Street, Hulme
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 November 08 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Barbara.

Looked on Google and it's now the home of Yuppy flats and serviced apartments. What would these folk have made of that?

Elaine
Hodson, Dearden, Croft, Redman, Mather (all in Lancs), Davies (Salop) Murphy, Daly, Worton (Ireland)

Offline milessnowdon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Worsley Street, Hulme Completed. Thanks
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 March 17 16:47 GMT (UK) »
We are looking at the Tomlinson Family who lived at 11 Worsley Street, Hulme. William TOMLINSON (1825-92) had married Elizabeth Clough (abt. 1827- Jan 1897) in Manchester Cathedral on Xmas Day 1845 Would that have a been a special service?

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Worsley Street, Hulme Completed. Thanks
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 March 17 21:51 GMT (UK) »
I don't think it was anything special. I just looked at the marriage register and if I counted correctly, there were 63 marriages that day! Just another busy day at the Collegiate church, as it was then. Mass marriages were common at the Cathedral as it was the cheapest place to get married.
Also I would imagine that for many working people, Christmas Day was the only day they could take some time off to get married.

There was only one marriage on the 26th December. The vicar must have been pleased about that.
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk