Author Topic: Burke families Edinburgh  (Read 2890 times)

Offline pagemum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burke families Edinburgh
« on: Saturday 15 November 08 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
can anyone help me locate the Burke family in Edinburgh about 1830-1855.

Kind Regards
kenneth

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Burke families Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 November 08 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kenneth

There are numerous Burk(e) households in Midlothian at that time. What names do you have to help in identifying them?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pagemum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 November 08 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
It is Patrick and Margaret Burke and any Burke's connected to them for instance  father,brother,son, or daughters I am interested.

Kind Regards
Kenneth

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 November 08 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kenneth

Still struggling here. For the period you are looking for, 1830-1855, in Midlothian. I can only see this family but the Patrick and Margaret look to be siblings rather than husband and wife (I've also tried with Peter which is a common variant of Patrick):

Alice Gartland 45, b. Ireland
Patrick Burk 19, son, fruit dealer b. Edinburgh
Margaret Burk 14, daughter, fruit dealer b. Edinburgh

Address: No specific address showing except for Edinburgh Lady Yester

This family also show in 1841:

Alleson Burk 40, b. Ireland
Catharine Burk 13
Patrick Burk 10
Margaret Burk    7

The only other Patrick showing in 1841 in Midlothian, is a Patrick, 20, a nailer with a Catherine, 18, both born in Ireland, and child Jane 7 months at Grassmarket 105 (cowies Land).

Address: 24 College Wynd, Edinburgh Old Greyfriars

What would probably help here Kenneth is a little bit more info on what you know. When do you think they married and est. birth years. Do you have the maiden surname for Margaret? Any names for their children that you may know and est. birth year(s)?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blandy

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 June 09 01:40 BST (UK) »
I have in my tree:
Thomas Burke b: 1795 Ireland married Ann Dodds Ross b: 1803 St Cuthberts, Midlothian...Children
Mary b:1824
Thomas b:1826
Alexander b: 1829
Mary Ann b: 1832
Margaret Gordon b: 18 Dec 1835 (My Great Great Grandmother)
Robert b: 1839

Thomas m Jamet Afflect on the 14 Sept 1847-10 Children
Alexander m Ann Lavin on the 3 Jun 1859-5 Children
Mary Ann m Hugh Brown on the 23 Nov 1851-3 Children
Margaret m George Gordon Mackay on the 13 Dec 1864-8 Children
Robert m Lillias Smith on the 23 Nov 1860- 3 Children

Don't know if this helps but if anyone has any other information on these families the information would be greatly appreciated.

Isabel
Australia
Hendry, Calder, Griggs, Edwards

Offline malc2304

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 March 11 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Isabel I was trying to find more information on Thomas Burke who I believe to be my Great Great Great grandfather. Now I have his wife as being Ann B Roper Burke I see you have it as Ann Dodds Ross. Did you come across anything to confirm this as I am going off 2 census records one in 1871 where Robert Burke was living with his wife, children and mother Ann B Roper Burke and then one in 1851 when Robert was 11 still at home with Thomas  and his wife Ann Burke the line to my family I believe comes through his son Robert Burke.
b
Also I noticed you had a George Gordon Mackay in your tree now my grandfather was called Eric Gordon Mackay Burke who was born in 1911 So there could possibly be another connection there.

I was wondering if you would be willing to share more information on what you have found out as I have only just started really with this part of my family tree and I am struggling to find more information on Thomas and Ann over what I already know

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Isabel I was trying to find more information on Thomas Burke who I believe to be my Great Great Great grandfather. Now I have his wife as being Ann B Roper Burke I see you have it as Ann Dodds Ross. Did you come across anything to confirm this as I am going off 2 census records one in 1871 where Robert Burke was living with his wife, children and mother Ann B Roper Burke and then one in 1851 when Robert was 11 still at home with Thomas  and his wife Ann Burke the line to my family I believe comes through his son Robert Burke.
b
Also I noticed you had a George Gordon Mackay in your tree now my grandfather was called Eric Gordon Mackay Burke who was born in 1911 So there could possibly be another connection there.

I was wondering if you would be willing to share more information on what you have found out as I have only just started really with this part of my family tree and I am struggling to find more information on Thomas and Ann over what I already know

"Eric Gordon McKay Burke" got that name from an RAF slip with Service No. 1014579, likely enlisted for WW 2, is he the same person as the one mentioned?