Author Topic: Dromore Parish Thomas McCusker Dorothea Gilmour  (Read 35199 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dromore Parish Thomas McCusker Dorothea Gilmour
« on: Saturday 15 November 08 11:40 GMT (UK) »
My ggrandfather, William Cosgrove, was born 1849-51 (according to Scottish census and his age on his death registration).  He was born in Ireland but I have no idea where.  He married in Scotland and on his marriage registration his parents were given as Thomas Cosgrove, labourer and Dorothy Gilmour.

I have not been able to connect a Thomas Cosgrove with Dorothy Gilmour but did find an IGI record for a marriage between Thomas McCusker and Dorothea Gilmour 24 Apr 1846 Presbyterian Church-0501 Dromore Parish Tyrone.  I can find a birth for William McOsker in 1846 in the indexes of Emerald Isle and that source also brings up the Gilmour/McCusker marriage.

I realize that Cosgrove has many variations and that McCusker is one.  Does this seem a plausible line of research?  If McCusker was William's birth name why the change when he went to Scotland?

There is also an IGI record of the birth of Isabella McCusker 22 Jan 1881 Dromore Parish daughter of Thomas McCusker and Isabella Gilmore McCusker.  The middle name of Gilmore makes this record interesting.

I would appreciate any input or suggestions.

Debbie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dromore Parish Thomas McCusker Dorothea Gilmour
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 November 08 12:04 GMT (UK) »
"There is also an IGI record of the birth of Isabella McCusker 22 Jan 1881 Dromore Parish daughter of Thomas McCusker and Isabella Gilmore McCusker.  The middle name of Gilmore makes this record interesting."
The mother of the child is Isabella Gilmore McCusker (Gilmore being her maiden name and McCusker her married name- sometimes IGI will list mother as Isabella McCusker Gilmore which comes from birth certificate saying Isabella McCusker formerly Gilmore which does tend to be confusing).

Gilmore/Gilmour is a very common surname in Ulster.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 January 09 06:55 GMT (UK) »
I ordered the civil marriage record online for Thomas McCusker and Dorothea Gilmour. 
Thomas McCusker, Farmer, 26, Bachelor, Address Drumardnagross  Father Henry McCusker, Farmer
Dorothea Gilmour, 24, Spinster, Address Knockaraven  Father William Gilmour
Witnesses Wm. Noble  and  Andrew Jamison
Took place 24 April 1846 at the Dromore Pres. Church, Parish of Dromore, District Omagh, County Tyrone.

In the Griffins Valuation 1851 (printed 1860) in Drumardnagross Kilskeery there is a
Thomas McCusker, tenant but it also seems that he is renting to Hugh Quin and James McCourt.  Would someone rent land and then sublet parcels to others?  Also in that same location is a William Gilmore, tenant. 

In Knockaraven there are 3 Robert Gilmores and one James.

In Corlaghdergan, Dromore there is a Thomas McCusker, tenant plus Hugh, James, Fergus, and Neal McCusker listed in the same area.

I took a chance and ordered what I thought would be my ggrandfather's birth in 1846 and that wasn't close so I tried another in 1851 but again with no luck.  With a bit more information to utilize from the marriage registration does anyone have any suggestions as to a research approach.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 November 09 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Thought I would revive this query as relations in Scotland have found the family bible!  Not a fountain of information but it does give William Cosgrove's date of birth as Sept 25, 1849 Tyrone with the placename not totally decipherable.  Their guesses are Drum...grove or Dunnr...grove.  Certainly ties in with the marriage record of his possible father Thomas McCusker who resided Drumamagross on the marriage record but I'm assuming that it should be Drumardnagross which is what I used when I posted the marriage details earlier.

I've looked at the Griffiths Valuation for William Gilmour and Henry McCusker and find that these two names coincide as tenants of Sir William Verner in Killeeshil, Ballynahaye, Dungannon, Lower. 

There is also a Henry McCusker as a tenant in Strabane, Upper, Omagh, Cappagh, Cannigans and William Gilmour as a tenant in Dungannon, Middle, Donaghenny, Brackaville.

I will have to look online to see if I can find William's birth registration now that I have a definite date. 

Debbie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 November 09 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births in Ireland began in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate for William.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 November 09 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I'll amend that to see if I can find a church baptism record for William.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 19:07 GMT (UK) »
If I wanted to obtain William McCusker/Cosgrove's baptismal record and I haven't been able to find any record online through Irish Family History or Emerald Ancestors then would the only way to obtain this document be to request and pay for a search through PRONI as they do have the Dromore Presbyterian records on MIC.1P/247 that covers baptisms from 1835-1925?

I found 2 records for a death of Henry McCusker.  One died Dec 26 1862 Magheralin, Co Down, address Drumo, Roman Catholic - probably not related.

The other is Henry McCusker, 65, married, labourer, d. 19 Feb 1885 Cookstown, Tyrone with the informant his son Hugh McCusker of Cookstown.  The age might link him to Thomas McCusker as a brother?

I also checked the death of Thomas McCusker Jan 27, 1864 Errigal Kieran Tyrone but he proved to be the unmarried 24 year old son of Hannah McCusker of Sess.  I checked this out as I found a Dorothy Cosgrove, widow, born 1832 Belfast Ireland living in Liverpool on Howard Street, occupation ragpicker.  She's not on the 1881 census so I started looking at Scotland and mistakenly ordered a death record for 4 year old Dorothy Cosgrove in Glasgow. 

Dorothy Cosgrove died in 1897 at 3 1/2 years of age of parents Thomas Cosgrove Shoemaker and Isabella Cosgrove (Gilmour).  This family is on the 1891 Scotland census.  Thomas b. 1858 Ireland at 118 George St. Glasgow, Shoemaker.  With wife Isabella b. 1860 Ire. and daughters Bella b. 1881 Ire., Mary b. 1886 bothwell Lanarkshire, Ellen b. 1890 Paisley Renfrewshre

This seems to link this family to the IGI birth record posted previously in this thread.  Related??  The Christian name of Dorothy doesn't seem to be commonly linked to McCusker.

With such limited information I don't think I can take this further back.  Knowing the resources available in Ireland do you think a paid researcher would be able to find anything concrete?

Debbie

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 November 09 00:50 GMT (UK) »
I ordered the civil marriage record online for Thomas McCusker and Dorothea Gilmour. 
Thomas McCusker, Farmer, 26, Bachelor, Address Drumardnagross  Father Henry McCusker, Farmer
Dorothea Gilmour, 24, Spinster, Address Knockaraven  Father William Gilmour
Witnesses Wm. Noble  and  Andrew Jamison
Took place 24 April 1846 at the Dromore Pres. Church, Parish of Dromore, District Omagh, County Tyrone.

In the Griffins Valuation 1851 (printed 1860) in Drumardnagross Kilskeery there is a
Thomas McCusker, tenant but it also seems that he is renting to Hugh Quin and James McCourt.  Would someone rent land and then sublet parcels to others?  Also in that same location is a William Gilmore, tenant. 

In Knockaraven there are 3 Robert Gilmores and one James.

In Corlaghdergan, Dromore there is a Thomas McCusker, tenant plus Hugh, James, Fergus, and Neal McCusker listed in the same area.

I took a chance and ordered what I thought would be my ggrandfather's birth in 1846 and that wasn't close so I tried another in 1851 but again with no luck.  With a bit more information to utilize from the marriage registration does anyone have any suggestions as to a research approach.

Debbie

Have come across people renting land and then sub letting it out. My ggg g/father often did this, he was a prize winning cattlebreeder, kept the best grazing land and let out the poorer quality bits.

Maybe your relatives did similar?

SomeMcCusker stuff here.  http://www.sitelevel.com/query.go?crid=340d34511c06af9a&query=McCusker&slice_title=&page=1
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 November 09 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link.  It looks familiar but I will check it out.

Debbie