Author Topic: Dromore Parish Thomas McCusker Dorothea Gilmour  (Read 35191 times)

Offline mtpckt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dromore Parish Thomas McCusker Dorothea Gilmour
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 28 December 13 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :) Is this your family, mtpckt?

James Gilmour m.(1850 Dromore district) Isabella Bradley
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGFN-SL9

Children:
James (1861-1939 Michigan) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KFQ2-DCJ
Catherine (1865) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FR9V-FXD
Rebecca (1867) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPWN-7L1
William (1869) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPYD-6LS
Robert (1871) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPYC-5SH
     death (1934 Michigan) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KFQ2-S37
This appears to be my family, I too found this infro that you posted. The difference being are the dates of Catherine's birth and her brother William are turned around meaning his date is hers and hers his date of birth. I am trying to be positive that these are the Gilmore's I am looking for. I am lead to believe they came from Dromore, Tyrone. Much of this is confusing to know one has the correct family. There were more children in the family not listed.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 28 December 13 18:28 GMT (UK) »
The births are extracted records from the actual registration which means they are likely to be accurate (or at least the dates given at the time of registration). Civil registration of births started 1864 and the parents were married in 1850 so there were likely other children (such as James whose birthdate is given on death record) born 1850-1863. You would need to see if baptism records exist for the pre-1864 ones. To find church records you'll need a location (Dromore may not be the family's actual residence) and their religion.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mtpckt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 28 December 13 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   You did not give us any idea of dates but the James GILMOUR and Isabella Bradley, mentioned above, married on 2 Nov 1850 in Dromore Presbyterian Church, Omagh District.

Regards
     Actually, I don't have a lot to go on. I believe they were from Dromore, My GGrandmother came to america as a young girl, no date for that, and she came as a servant. Her brothers came later to Muskegon Mi. I am not totaly sure that this James and Isabella are her parents.  I find it hard searching for the right information, hoping someone might give me more insight to this search. ThankYou mtpckt

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 28 December 13 18:44 GMT (UK) »
It's always best to work back through the records step by step so that you can find the people you are looking for.

Taking your great-grandmother as a starting point- did she die in Michigan? (her death certificate should list names of both parents as given by the informant). Did she marry there? (marriage certificate should also contain parents' names but since Catherine would have provided the details may be more accurate).
Census records- many provide year of entry to U.S. so that can be used as a guide. She could have arrived directly (N.Y., Philadelphia, Boston most likely eastern ports) or equally likely to have arrived via Canada.
In the U.S. (and outside the area) the family may have said they came from 'Dromore' just as a person living outside say Boston would say they're from Boston. 'Dromore' that you see in the extracted records I posted refers to the registration district which covers a larger area than Dromore itself.
You mentioned Catherine's 2 brothers also in U.S. which seems to match with the family I posted but if you could give us more facts from the records you found for catherine we might be able to help with lots more details about the family.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 28 December 13 19:12 GMT (UK) »
I will look up the records I found on James Gilmour and Isabella Bradley and post the details here.  The information might overlap some that has been given but it's easier just to look at what I saved and post it rather than trying to find out what has been listed before.

I had discounted the James Gilmour and Isabella Bradley union as the parents of the Isabella Gilmour who married Thomas McCusiker/Cosgrove in 1869 or 1870 and then later moved to Scotland because I was looking for a connection to Isabella's father as James Gilmour s/o William with James being a possible brother to my Dorothea.  Isabella's father was a carpenter and the timeframe of her birth (about 1855) makes this couple still a possibility for her parents - just not a direct connection to Dorothea.

Will find my notes and post in just a bit.

Offline mtpckt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 28 December 13 20:25 GMT (UK) »
It's always best to work back through the records step by step so that you can find the people you are looking for.

Taking your great-grandmother as a starting point- did she die in Michigan? (her death certificate should list names of both parents as given by the informant). Did she marry there? (marriage certificate should also contain parents' names but since Catherine would have provided the details may be more accurate).
Census records- many provide year of entry to U.S. so that can be used as a guide. She could have arrived directly (N.Y., Philadelphia, Boston most likely eastern ports) or equally likely to have arrived via Canada.
In the U.S. (and outside the area) the family may have said they came from 'Dromore' just as a person living outside say Boston would say they're from Boston. 'Driomore' that you see in the extracted records I posted refers to the registration district which covers a larger area than Dromore itself.
You mentioned catherine's 2 brothers also in U.S. which seems to match with the family I posted but if you could give us more facts from the records you found for catherine we might be able to help with lots more details about the family.
   I do want to thank you for the help, the whole Ireland is so confusing. Catherine died in Lansing Mi in 1952 names parents as James Gilmore and Isabella Bradley, I have been unable to find her when she came to the United States as I mentioned she was young and a servant of some sort.  It is unknown as to exact place she was married, I believe maybe Ford Co Ks as their first child was born in Dodge City per census. I will have to get into my paper work and find the exact dates of census, we do not have marriage infro on her and her husband. I have found marriage certificates of their first daughter but some isnt easy to read. Also on census it has two different dates of her arrival here.......confusing. Wished I paid more attention when I was younger. I will post when I have looked closer to the dates..........thanks so much for any help you can offer

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 28 December 13 20:29 GMT (UK) »
A family tree on ancestry had the image of a marriage record for Robert Gilmore, s/o James Gilmore deceased and Isabella Bradley deceased.  His marriage was to Mary Nutt d/o Jackson Nutt and Ann Devine.  Marriage took place 29 Jun 1894 at Larkhall, Scotland.  Since my Ggrandfather, William Cosgrove married in Larkhall I followed the couple.

On the 1901 Scottish census you find in Motherwell, Lanarkshire, James gilmour with Scottish born wife Mary and son James (1) born in Motherwell.  From FamilySearch you find a death record of 13 Sep 1934 in Muskegon Michigan for Robert gilmore which shows his birth as 30 Sep 1871 Dromore and parents James gilmour and Isabella Bradley.

The 1930 US census for Muskeogon shows 58 year old Irish born Robert Gilmore's arrival as 1912 and his wife's arrival as 1913.  14 year old Michigan born son Robert is also in the household.
Robert Gilmore arrived on the Grampian (Glasgow to Quebec) on 07 Sep 1912 bound for Muskegon Michigan.  The border crossing document that relates to this arrival shows that he was born in Dromore Ireland and that he was head for his brother James in Muskegon.  Robert's son, James, arrived on the Scandanavian (glasgow to Quebec) at the age of 13.  His border crossing document gave his uncle, John Nutt of Glasgow, as his nearest British contact.  He was headed to his father Robert gilmore and birthplace given as Motherwell.  James' mother, Mary, had crossed the border at Port Huron Michigan on 24 Jun 1913 headed for her husband Robert in Muskegon.

U.S. Social Security Death Index for Michigan shows a number of Gilmore deaths in the same county - perhaps related.

James Gilmore b. 16 May 1862 Ireland married Elizabeth McReynolds.  Elizabeth died 22 Jul 1915 Muskegon and then James married Rhoda.  Not sure about family relationships between James and Rhoda.  On the 1910 census for Muskegon James, 46 and wife Elizabeth, 45 are in the same household with son William Lawrence, 20, and his 19 year old wife Rhoda.  In 1920 James ,57, is married to a 29 year old Rhoda.  William's marriage to Rhoda Mee is on FamilySearch and his death is in 1946.  Family trees show James (b. 1862) 2nd marriage to Rhoda Mee but then there are also family trees for this James Gilmore which have mixed up another James Gilmore with wife Elizabeth living in Nutley, New Jersey and they have combined children on their trees from 2 families.

FamilySearch has many records to follow the children of James Gilmore and Elizabeth McReynolds and Robert Gilmore and Mary Nutt.

FamilySearch shows children born to James Gilmore and Isabella Bradley as
Catherine 13 Mar 1865 Dromore
Rebecca 06 May 1867 Dromore
William 20 May 1869 Dromore
Robert 30 Sep 1871 Dromore
James 16 Mar 1861 Dromore

A post on Rootsweb indicated that James and Isabella Bradley had children James, Robert, Catherine, Isabella, Jane, Rebecca, Mary and William.

1900 US census for Elkhart Indiana has
Charley Marsh b. Mar 1858 Ohio with wife Catherine b. Sep 1869 Ireland with immigration year 1883
Daughter Anna E. was born in 1887 Kansas and Forence b. 1898 Indianna.
In 1910 Catherine and Charley are living in Muskegon and by 1930 they are in Lansing Michigan where she died.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 28 December 13 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Scotland's People has the death of Jane Simpson, widow of William Charles Simpson, shoemaker 04 Nov 1925 at Western Infirmary Glasgow - usual residence Maryhill Rd Glasgow.  d/o James Gilmour wheelwright deceased and Isabella Bradley deceased.  Son William Gilmour of Glasgow the informant.

Ireland Civil Registration of Marriages Index shows a Oct-Dec 1882 marriage at Omagh between Jane Gilmour and William Charles Simpson.
This same index shows a marriage of Rebecca Gilmore Oct-Dec 1896 Omagh to William Hughes. 

On the 1901 Scottish census William Hughes b. 1870 ireland, steelworker, is living in Cambuslang, Lanarkshire with wife Rebecca, b. 1872 Ireland from her stated age with children James 3 b. Motherwell and Bella Hughes 3 mos. b. Cambulang.

Death of Rebecca Hughes, widow of William Hughes, steelworker on 23 Jan 1954.  Usual residence Cambuslang.   d/o James Gilmer, carpenter deceased and Isabell Bradley, deceased.  Grandson James Pollock of Cambuslang was the informant.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 28 December 13 20:39 GMT (UK) »
An obituary for Joseph C. Gilmore, 92, d. Dec 13 2011 Muskegon.  Born in Muskegon on Sept 14, 1919 to James Gilmore and Rhoda Mee.  Did James marry his daughter-in-law?