Author Topic: Dromore Parish Thomas McCusker Dorothea Gilmour  (Read 35221 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dromore Parish Thomas McCusker Dorothea Gilmour
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 22:15 BST (UK) »
I ordered a death certificate for Dorothy Cosgrove registered in Omagh.  Have no idea if this furthers this research or not.  She died 3 Feb 1890 Garvagh, widow of a labourer, informant was nephew King W. Price resident of Garvagh.  In order for this to tie in with my family King William's mother would have to have a maiden name of Gilmour/Gilmore.

I can find King William Price on the 1901 and 1911 Irish census in Townland Garvagh, DED Clanabogan, County Tyrone.  Looking at various sources he seems to have been born around 1840 in Dromore, Tyrone, died 21 Aug 1921 and married Elizabeth Forbes May 5, 1874 Clanabogan Omagh Tyrone.
John James 1875   
Robert Alexander 1876
Mary Jane 1878
Elizabeth Ann 1879
King William 1881
Joseph Morrison 1884
Matthew Guy 1886
Sarah P 1888
Samuel 1890
Thomas Geore 1892
Luke 1894
Rebecca 1896

Joseph Morrison emigrated to US in 1907 and is found on census in Philadelphia married to Elizabeth.  Matthew Guy emigrated and died in Wayne Michigan in 1945 and is buried in Bridgewater Mass.  His sister Mary Jane emigrated and married Charles Eugene Marshall and lived in Bridgewater.

I haven't found a birth for King William price in 1840.  Thee is a marriage for Marianne Gilmour b. 1827 d/o William Gilmour to Samuel Price b. 1826 s/o James Price on 2 April 1847 but that is later than a birth in 1840 for King William Price.

Any suggestions?

Debbie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
Just in case you haven't seen this- "Price King William of Garvagh Clanabogan Omagh county Tyrone farmer died 29 August 1921 Probate Belfast 16 October to John James Price law clerk. Effects £315 7s. 1d." (no image available online) see www.proni.gov.uk
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 March 12 02:56 GMT (UK) »
I looked at the birth registration for Mary Cosgrove in Scotland, d/o Thomas Cosgrove, shoemaker and Isabella Gilmour.  The birth registration indicated the parents married in Dromore Parish, Tyrone in 18__, last 2 numbers not quite readable.

I  ordered the civil marriage certificate from rootsireland.  Information contained
Thomas Cosgrove, living Dromore, shoemaker, 22, bachelor, s/o Thos. Cosgrove (labourer) married
Jan 26, 1880 Dromore Parish, Omagh, Tyrone
Isabella Gilmour, 22, spinster, living Dromore, d/o Jas. Gilmour (carpenter)
Witnesses were John M. Price and King William III Price.

Seems the Gilmour, Price and McCusker/Cosgrove families had a definite relationship.
Too bad mother's names weren't always recorded on records.

Not sure where Thomas and his family disappeared to after the 1891 Scottish census.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 March 12 21:01 GMT (UK) »
On the 1901 Scottish census for Inversk Musselburgh
Isabella Costgrove, 44 b. Tyrone Ireland with children
Mary 15, Hellen 10, Thomas 5, and Willm J. 2.

1911 census in the same location
Isabella Cosgrove 54, widow, b. Ireland
Mary Cosgrove 24, b. Bothwell Lanark, net factory worker
Ellen Cosgrove 20, b. Paisley, Renfrew, net factory worker
Thomas Cosgrove 15, b. Glasgow, Lanark pitheadman in coal mine
Wm J. Cosgrove 12, b. Dumbarton & Helensburg (Glasgow)

Death for Isabella Cosgrove, widow of Thomas Cosgrove, bootmaker, on Jan 16, 1926 Musselbourgh
She was the daughter of James Gilmor, carpenter deceased and Isabella Gilmor deceased, maiden name not known.  Informant was son Thomas Cosgrove 113 Lochard Rd. Musselbourgh.

Can't find a close enough death match on Scotlands People to order for Thomas to check for his parentage.

The theory I'm following is that Thomas Cosgrove who married Isabella Gilmour might have been a son of Thomas McCusker and Dorothea Gilmour and therefore a younger brother to my Ggrandfather William.  Perhaps Isabella Gilmour's father James was an older brother to Dorothy Gilmour.

It doesn't further this thread any but William James Cosgrove, s/o Thomas and Isabella, seemed to emigrate to Canada.  Form 30A for Wm Jas Cosgrove with mother Isabella Cosgrove of Musselburgh, Scotland arrived at Quebec on the Athenia which sailed 18 July 1923 from Southampton.  His destination was Winnipeg and his form was signed Jas Cosgrove.  Border crossing for James Cosgrove, 24, single, b. Helenburgh Scotland, arrived Athenia July 1923.  He was an accountant, crossing at Niagara Falls in 1923, going to reside permanently in the US - destination Buffalo, N.Y.

July 1936 arrival at Southampton from New York on the Bremen for Wm J. Cosgrove 37, and Annie Cosgrove, 34.  Destination 180 New Street Musselburgh Scot.  He is a railway employee from the U.S.
Return sailing arriving New York from Southampton Sept 1936 for James Cosgrave 37 and Annie 34.  James naturalized July 1930 and address given was 609 Audubon Ave. Mt. Lebaron Pittsburgh, PA.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 March 12 19:53 GMT (UK) »
William James Cosgrove b. Dec 29, 1899, s/o Thomas Cosgrove journeyman shoemaker and Isabella Gilmour with their marriage given as Jan 12 1879 Co. Tyrone Ireland.

Thomas Cosgrove was not listed as deceased.  On the 1901 Scottish census Isabella Costgrove is listed as Marr for married and on the 1911 census she is listed as a widow.  Still can't find out where Thomas disappeared to or where he died.  I bought a few certificates from Scotland's People just on the off chance and of course nothing was a match.  Not sure I'll ever be able to find out if he was related to my Ggrandfather or not.

I'm thinking that Isabella Gilmour's parents were James Gilmore/Gilmer and Isabella Bradley.  Marriage was in Dromore and the date is lost in a clutter of paper on my desk.

One of their children was Anne Isabella Gilmer b. 12 Dec 1858 Dromore which ties in with Isabella Cosgrove's age.  James' son Robert b. 30 Sept 1871 Dressouage Tyrone married Maria Vance 13 Jan 1898 Dromore and on the 1901 Irish census 76 year old James Gilmore is living in Knockaraven with son Robert and his wife Maria and their children and an unmarried daughter.  James Gilmore died 6 July 1906 and his 1907 will gave his inheritance to his son Robert and Robert with his unmarried sister and Maria is on the 1911 Irish census for Knockaraven.

Debbie

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 March 12 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   The date of James GILMOUR and Isabella Bradley's marriage was 2 Nov 1850 in Dromore Presbyterian Church.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dromore Parish Thomas McCusker Dorothea Gilmour - Completed
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 September 12 15:48 BST (UK) »
I have marked this post completed.  Still interested in finding any information on the McCuskers/Cosgroves of Tyrone but highly doubtful anything will "pop" up in the near future.

I continued following the Thomas McCusker and Isabella Gilmour family and can fill in all the BMDs for this family except Thomas!  I was hoping to find his parentage but he seems to just disappear.  The history centre in Musselburg that recently opened searched for an obituary for Isabella in their newspaper colelctions and unfortunately obits weren't included in the newspapers around the time of her death.  There seems to be no further information I can find using this family that takes this search further.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 August 13 06:12 BST (UK) »
I ordered the actual parish marriage registration for Thomas McCusker and Dorothea Gilmour from PRONI - rather than relying on the transcription.  I have included an image of part of the registration. 

Dorothea is a resident of Knockraven and from the 1834 Tithe Applotment Book of Dromore Parish I can find a William, William Sr and William Jr. all resident in Knockaraven plus other Gilmours in the same townland.

Is Thomas a resident of Drumardnagross with the spelling of the townland slightly different on this document than lists I've been able to find?
On the same 1834 list there is a Henry McCusker in Raveny (Rahony) but nothing for a townland starting with D for any McCusker.

added:  here's the image I forgot to add when I reopened this thread

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 September 13 15:35 BST (UK) »
The 1845 marriage of Thomas McCusker and Dorothea Gilmour was found on M1C1P/247 in PRONI.  The same reel shows baptisms between 1835-1925 but my Ggrandfather's was not found there.

The residence of the groom on the marriage registration shows his residence as Drumardnagross(? ) which seems to be a Townland in the Parish Town of Kilskerry.
PRONI holds records for Kilskerry Church of Ireland baptisms 1767-1938 which covers the 1849 period I'm interested in.  Would a Presbyterian couple who had already married in a Presbyterian church baptize their child through the Church of Ireland?