Author Topic: Ann Thomas completed  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Markvey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Thomas completed
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 May 11 03:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline

Now I understand how you are related to both sides of mother's family and I can remember my mother trying to explain to me the complicated family relationships.

My mother was Ethel Lillian Harvey (1927 - 1998), youngest daughter of Joseph (Jim) and Adelina. I remember meeting your grandfather, my mother's Uncle Allan, at his house as a child during one of our visits to Rockhampton in the 1960s. He offered my brother and I a pink Easter egg in a clear cellophane bag and told us break it. When we didn't, he dropped it on the floor causing it to smash to pieces within the bag. My mother told me years later how amused the adults were at the expressions of horror on the faces of my brother and I.

I become curious about my mother's family after finding a photocopy of the death certificate of James Ireland, (d 1887) among old papers belonging to my father (recently deceased). My mother had never mentioned him. The postings under topics on rootchats about the Irelands in which you have participated were most informative. They brought back memories of relatives my mother used to talk about, including some I met many years ago. Auntie Lily who lived with Jim and Adelina, who had white hair and was deaf. Charlie Grey, who was a Methodist minister (I think). Auntie Elsie who used to send us Seventh Day Adventist magazines. Uncle Archie who owned a lot of valuable land  - my mother received a small share of his estate. Auntie Mary, older sister of Adelina, (who I never met) but who owned a pug and was a Christian Scientist.

I certainly would like to ask you some more questions about the family. Did you find any information about Uncles Fred and Ernie who died unnatural causes in the 1950s? My recollection of what my mother told me is that Fred was killed in a horse-riding accident and Ernie shot himself, but I could have that mixed up. Do you know anything about the young child (a sister of Ann James?) who came out to Australia with the family from Wales? My mother spoke about how much the child's mother regretted giving up the child afterwards.

Being new to rootschat, I don't know if it is appropriate to keep exchanging information via public postings. Should we use the personal messages facility on this website?

Mark

Offline ian-nz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 May 11 05:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

I have sent you a personal message. Please let me know if you do not receive it.

Pauline

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 May 11 10:23 BST (UK) »
think Mark may need to post once more before being able to use the pm facility. He could just reply to this & say hello.

:D
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile