Author Topic: Hill family of Larne, Hillmount and Ballymena  (Read 25461 times)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hill family of Larne, Hillmount and Ballymena
« on: Monday 17 November 08 10:08 GMT (UK) »
This family has been a real headache to research so any information is welcome.  Here is what I know:

George Hill married Mary Hill of Hillmount and Ballylmena in 1797.  I believe that her family owned a mill and that Hillmount was named after her family.  I  know that George had a sister married to a Mr Anderson and a brother named Arthur.  George and Mary had three daus:  one married Capt George Macaulay of the Cushendall Macaulays w/issue; one married a Mr McNeil, solicitor, w/issue; and the last dau married Arbuthnot Emerson, bro of Sir Emerson- Tennent.
The Hills must have been prominent as in the 1851 census Mary was recorded as being a "gentlewoman."  If possible, I would like to find out  information on George and Mary's ancestry.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Hill family of Larne, Hillmount and Ballymena
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 November 08 12:21 GMT (UK) »
The 1831-5 and 1837-8 OS Memoirs tell us that Hillmount was a two-storey house in the townland of Craigs, on the banks of the river. It was the residence of Robert Young, a gentleman.
There was a bleach green at Hillmount. There is also reference to Hillmount as the proprietor of the bleach green of the same name.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 November 08 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look at my copy of the 1888 Bassett's directory too. It has a story on page 127 about the Hillmount Bleach Green and refers to it having been owned in the previous 50 years by James and Robert Young. At 1888, the owners are Messrs Frazer and Haughton.There is a small illustration of the works on page 126 with the residence seen in the distance, standing at a raised level and with ornamental plantations around it, as well as an artificial lake with trout. It refers to the lake as having been excavated by the Hill family who named the place.

The bleaching etc started in 1710, see part of this article: http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/culture/reports/report2-00r2.htm#1

Hope this general info on Hillmount is of interest - sorry I cannot help with the surnames you have listed.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 November 08 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Dear Scotmum,

Thanks for trying.  I am rather surprised that there is no more information on this family floating around.  Looks like a definite hard nut to crack unless I can get to PRONI someday.  Unfortunately, for me, PRONI is rather a very long way from Japan.  With best wishes, Paul (Pablo1)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 November 08 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought, as over the years the business/property seem to have changed hands as a going concern, could it be possible that for some reason the family records of the original Hillmount owners, the Hill family, rather than say ending up in PRONI, remained within the business? Have you thought of writing to the current family that seem to be connected with Hillmount (surname as per the niassembly link above, a search on 192.com using surname and Cullybackey returns potential points of contact).

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Scotmum that is a very interesting suggestion and well worth a try.  If the business is still in operation it may very well be that they have something on the Hill family's history.  Thank you very much for the idea...Paul

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Do update us as to how to how you get on.

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 January 09 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Capt. Paul,

Ah yes, navigating the HILLs of Antrim has worn down many a tough old sole ...

... but that just makes them flounder in to the shallows, or sink in to the depths, where they can be speared or dredged up easily!

So, if you promise to leave those nutcrackers on dry land, you are welcome to come aboard my dingy craft for an exciting sail through the lashing oceans (and some murky depths!), with a promise of a "good fishing" supper at the end ...

[N.B. I might have to leave you to paddle your own canoe up past those dangerous turbines (the foaming parts of the Main?) though!]

My fee: Any info you come across on George HILL of Whiteabbey, who married Margaret WHITTLE at Donegore 1st Pb in th 1840s.

Capt. Jock
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 March 09 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Capt. Jock,
I have not checked this forum for quite so time so please accept my apologies for not replying much sooner than now.

If I should by chance find the right "Hill" I will be more than happy to do some
Whittl(e)ing for you.  Until then, let's hope that the dusk is red for easy sailing with no storms in our way...Paul