Author Topic: Hill family of Larne, Hillmount and Ballymena  (Read 25463 times)

Offline melodien

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hill family of Larne, Hillmount and Ballymena
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 February 12 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Capt. Jock

I am just in the process of transcribing the marriage records of 1st Donegore.  On July 4th 1843, George Hill of Whiteabbey married Rebecca Whittle of Kings Moss (I think that is what it says).  The witnesses were Jane Whittle and John Whittle.  Is this of any use to you? 

regards

Melodie

Capt. Paul,

Ah yes, navigating the HILLs of Antrim has worn down many a tough old sole ...

... but that just makes them flounder in to the shallows, or sink in to the depths, where they can be speared or dredged up easily!

So, if you promise to leave those nutcrackers on dry land, you are welcome to come aboard my dingy craft for an exciting sail through the lashing oceans (and some murky depths!), with a promise of a "good fishing" supper at the end ...

[N.B. I might have to leave you to paddle your own canoe up past those dangerous turbines (the foaming parts of the Main?) though!]

My fee: Any info you come across on George HILL of Whiteabbey, who married Margaret WHITTLE at Donegore 1st Pb in th 1840s.

Capt. Jock

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 February 12 04:33 GMT (UK) »
Ah, Capt. Jock, it seems that you, at least, have been pulled from your craft
and brought safely to shore, not thanks to me but to melodien.  I think a wee
bit of gratitude is due here as the hills of antrim are still calling us with melodius
voices.

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 February 12 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Melodien,

Thanks for the details of the record - much appreciated.
[Confirms the details we have from a transcript of the front page in the old family bible.]

Looking forward to your full production of the marriage records for 1st Donegore.
[Best of luck with deciphering the images of the "missing" 1806-1821 years ... grr!]

Pablo1,

Not sure that lets you off the hook w.r.t. reciprocal HILL research!

We need confirmation that:

1) Margaret died early, probably following a childbirth.

2) She had a son William HILL b. ~ 1844 (in Whiteabbey?).

Such an individual is recorded in the 1851 census of St. Peter Port on Guernsey, aged 7, staying c/o his "aunt" Margaret DIGMAN (nee WILLIAMSON), along with his uncle William WHITTLEY.
[Assuming he is who we think he is, then she was actually his great aunt.]

Aged 7 seemed a tad young for such an adventure, but then if he had lost his mother ...
[Also, Margaret DIGMAN desperately needed help running her spirit-grocer's shop / boarding house.
 She had lost all her family during the cholera outbreak in 1832.]

3) This WH was identical with the William John HILL who married Ellenor Jane Warden STEVENSON on 02-MAR-1864 at Newtownards.
[Fathers George HILL and Henry STEVENSON.]

Ensuing family was (at least):

William Digman HILL b. 23-DEC-1864 at Donaghadee
Mary Stevenson HILL b. 05-JUN-1866 at Donaghadee
Margaret HILL b. 18-FEB-1868 at Donaghadee.
Lizzie Beatrice HILL b. 30-APR-1871 at Antrim
George Frederick HILL b. 29-MAR-1873 at Belfast 3
Frederick HILL b. 18-MAR-1879 at Belfast

To date we only knew of the first one.
He had been named Henry Stevenson HILL at birth, but had his name changed when baptised.
Your post inspired me to return to FamilySearch.org tonight, finding the others.  Thanks!

William WHITTLEY had brought what remained of his family (after further sad losses) back to Belfast in 1862.
Presumably, his nephew William HILL (aged 17/18) returned with him.

-----
With regards to your own research ...

I did have a large basket of trawled-up goods for you, mainly from the Belfast Newsletter 1828-1900, but it is currently languishing aboard my sunken vessel.

Seem to recall that George HILL, a local bigwig, featured much in the Belfast Newsletter.
[ Presumably (remotely?) connected with the famous HILL family of Hillsborough.]

Also, references to businesses at Ballymena (on the river Main) and mansions built in Drains townland, just North of Larne.

Your Emerson ARBUTHNOTT was also easy to follow ...

Will see if I can retrieve some of it somehow, soon.
[ ... but having to concentrate at clutching at straws just now, trying to keep afloat!]

Capt. Jock
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 February 12 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Dear Captain Jock,
Ay , ay,  sir.  I will not abandon ship when my captain is still in need.  And of course,
a life preserver thrown my way is a welcome site, indeed.  I, in turn, will retrieve my
old pocket knife, attempt to find a piece of wood, and begin once more to hopefully whittle
it into some proper form that we and others can utilize.

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Paul,

Have located the 8 references to "Hillmount" in the BNL that I found.
Suggest direct EMail contact - see PM.

Capt. Jock
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 September 16 13:11 BST (UK) »
I've just posted this to the "William Kirk Martin" thread (link below) but since the information is more relevant here I thought I'd awaken this thread too.

From the Dublin Daily Express, 27th May 1856, is the “Final Notice to Claimants, Incumbered Estates Court … In the Matter of the Estate of William Kirk Martin, continued in the name of Sarah Anne Martin, Devisee of said William Kirk Martin.”

The notice has this bit at the end (Barry Martin was William Kirk Martin's father):

SCHEDULE REFERRED TO IN THE ABOVE NOTICE

Marriage Settlement on the intermarriage of Barry Martin, of the town of Carrickfergus, with Anne Hill, the younger, of Hillmount, in the county of Antrim, bearing date the 1st October, 1794, wherein said Barry Martin is of the first part; Anne Hill, otherwise Barry, by her description of Anne Hill, the elder, of Hillmount, in the county of Antrim, widow, of the second part; and the said Anne Hill, the younger, of the same place, daughter of the said Anne Hill, the elder, of the third part.

Settlement on the intermarriage of George Hill, of Larne, with Mary Hill, bearing date the 27th January, 1797, wherin the said George Hill was of the first part, the said Anne Hill, of the second part, and the said Mary Hill, daughter of the said Anne Hill, of the third part.

William Kirk Martin thread:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=755989.0

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 September 16 15:04 BST (UK) »
Belfast Newsletter, 29th Aug – 2nd Sep 1788:
DIED.]  A few days ago, at Carrickfergus, Mr. James Hill, only son of Mrs. Anne Hill, of Hillmount, near Ballymena: a youth of about fourteen, whose natural goodness and sensibility renders him universally lamented.

Belfast Newsletter, 27th Nov – 1st Dec 1789:

Mr. William Adams, of Portglenone, merchant, to Miss Hill, of Hill mount, near Ballymena.

Belfast Newsletter, 3rd-6th October 1794:

A few days ago, Barry Martin of Carrickfergus, Esq. to Miss Hill of Hillmount.

Belfast Newsletter, 6th-10th Feb 1797:
A few days ago, Mr. George Hill, of Larne, to Miss Hill of Hillmount, near Ballymena.

Belfast Newsletter, 15th Jul 1831:
On the 27th ult. At Carrickfergus, in the 83d year of her age, Mrs. Anne Hill, relict of the late Mr. John Hill, of Hillmount, county Antrim.

Presumably John Hill died before 1788.  The closest I can find is a John Hill, linen-draper, who died Lisburn in 1790.  He was apparently a Quaker.  I don’t see anything to link him to Hillmount though.

Where do Charles and Thomas Hill fit in?

Belfast Weekly News, 25th Nov 1871:
HILL – Nov. 14, at his residence, Prince’s Street, London, Thos. Hill, Esq., youngest son of the late Chas. Hill, Esq., Hillmount, Cullybackey, Ballymena, Co. Antrim, Ireland.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 September 16 21:47 BST (UK) »
From the Northern Whig, a request, 16th April 1934:

ULSTER FAMILIES
To the Editor of the Northern Whig.
Sir, -- The letters in the “Northern Whig” about old Ulster families are most interesting, and I hope there will be more of them.  I should like very much to get some information about the Bambers, of Belmont, if any of your genealogists could help.  And I wonder whether your Carrickfergus correspondent, who writes so fully of the Hogg family, has any notes on the Barrys, of Carrickfergus? – Yours, &c.,
L.M.N.

This is the reply, 24th April 1934.  It’s a bit eclectic, but packed with information:

ULSTER FAMILIES
To the Editor of the Northern Whig.
Sir, -- in reply to “L.M.N.,” who inquires about the Barrys of Carrickfergus, the first member of this family was Lieutenant Barrye, who came to Carrickfergus with the Earl of Essex in 1573.  In “Benn’s History of Belfast” and in “O’Laverty’s Down and Connor” the reference is as follows: -- “A mile from the former house but further from the sea as we passed towards Knockfergus there is upon a hill syde a large house with chimneys.  It is enclosed with a rampier of earth, soddes, and flanker’d.  It was buylte by Thomas Walsh, late Cornett of the said Lo Deputies troop upon his Lops land, and is now inhabited by Lieutenant Barrye, who marrying the said Walsh his wyddowe; nere which there are many other tenemtes inhabited, some of them by such cywell Irish as doe speake English, and dywers of them have byne servitors in the late Queen’s tyme.”
When Sir John Chichester (Governor of Carrickfergus) was ambushed and killed near Glynn by Sorley Boy McDonnell, in the account sent to Burghley by Lieutenant Harte, he mentions that Captain Miriman and Lieutenant Barrye “did with their horses take the river (Larne Lough) and swime over into Island M’Gee.”  Amongst the officers killed was Lieutenant Walsh.  Lieutenant Barrye married Walsh’s widow, who was a M’Quillan, and her son, Thomas Walsh, was granted an estate by Chichester.
“O’Laverty’s Down and Connor” says: -- “Sir Arthur Chichester granted on the 30th July, 1607, Molusk and the adjacent townlands of Kilgriel, Ballynabarnish, and Carngrany in perpetuity to Thomas Walsh at the yearly rent of £11 6s 8d.”  The map of the Down Survey (about 1657) gives the land conferred on Thomas Walsh by Chichester as “four townelands belonging to Mr. Walsh of Molisk.”  In the Books of Distribution compiled between 1661-1676, pursuant to the Act of Settlement, “the Towne and Grange of Moyliske, containing 4 townes,” and consisting of 2,061 acres 1 rood, are entered as having been the estate of Thomas Walsh, held in ffee farm at £9 10s from the Lord Chichester, which was confiscated on account of the war of 1641.  Sir Hercules Langford is entered as the person to whom it was granted after the Restoration.  From Langford the property passed to the Pakenham family.
THE DALWAY HARP
In the townland of Dobbsland, in a cave, were found several objects of antiquity about 150 years ago – portions of what is now called the Dalway harp.  Of this harp only fragments remain, but they are of great interest on account of their elaborate decoration.  Under the Royal Arms are thos of Sir John Fitzgerald, of Cloyne, and those of his wife, Ellen Barry.  He was married in 1611 and died in 1640.  This inscription was in Latin.
In M’Skimmins’ “History of Carrickfergus” details of Mayors and Sheriffs are given.  James Rice was Sheriff, 1593; Richard Conlan, 1595.  Richard Conlan, or O’Conlan, was son of Thomas Conlan.  Having no issue he bequeathed his propertu to his niece, Ann Bunch, who was afterwards married to Ensign Garret Reiley.  They had three daughters, one of whom was Marlow Reiley, another to James Riche, and the third to Dr, John Coleman, Carrickfergus.  Ann Reiley, a descendant of Marlow Reiley, was married to Matthew Barry, Carrickfergus.  The village of Clipperstown was Reileystown.
Another interesting account is that of Mrs. Ann Barry, otherwise Hill.  Lieutenant Hill of this family was mentioned in 1597, and in 1674 (list of tenants of the Corporation of Carrickfergus) William Hill and John Barry Hill.  There was an old memorial to this Hill family in St. Nicholas Church, but it has disappeared.  Lieutenant Barry married Mrs. Walsh, who was a McQuillan.  There was also a later marriage between William Barry, Esq., Carrickfergus, and a M’Quillan.  About 1800 Robert Barry married Miss Sarah Allen, who was one of the last descendants of Bushop Hugh Allen (one of the four Reforation Bishops), who was recommended by Queen Elizabeth as a zealous man.  He came from Exeter to Kilroot as Bishop of Connor.  Kilroot House, which is not in ruins, was formerly the ancient Palace of the Bishop of Connor.  Space does not permit me to mention the Byrte and Horsborough families, two very old Carrickfergus families who were related to the Barrys. – Yours, &c.,
Belfast      A. B. C.

Does anyone know who A.B.C. might have been?

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 September 16 21:48 BST (UK) »
This is the passage from the “History of Carrickfergus” mentioned above:

"Richard Conlan [Sheriff in 1595], or O’Conlin, was son of Thomas Conlin.  Having no issue at his death he bequeathed his property to his niece Ann Bunch, who was afterwards married to Ensign Garret Reiley, to whom she had three daughters, one of whom was married to Marlow Reiley, another to James Rice, and the third to Dr. John Coleman, Carrickfergus.  Neither of the two last had issue.  From the former was descended the late James Reiley; and Ann, daughter of a Garret Reiley, of this family, being married to Mathew Barry, Carrickfergus, from her is descended Mrs. Ann Barry, alias, Hill. – Tradition."

When it says, "from her is descended," is that as likely to mean she's her mother as her grandmother or some other ancestor?