Author Topic: Ramsays of Fife  (Read 16220 times)

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ramsays of Fife
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 November 08 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica

Yes - all I can say is WOW.    I have gone through a lot of it and your last but one made me go back and have another look at SP (of course I can only look at so much at a time because of the cost but I'll plow thru it).    I have confirmed that those 2 grandchildren are indeed Elizabeths - James b 1865 and Robina b 1872.   

Not sure how I missed Helen but there she is and with her mothers name too - you would think I would have had her.    I know that some of the info I have came from June but, for the life of me, I cannot remember what I was given and what I found so it is a bit mixed up.

Once I get the info from you and Ambly sorted out I will then have a look at what I have and come back to this post with the gaps I need help with if you are OK with that.

This is great and I have yet to have a good look at your last email.  It is exciting.

Thanks
Sandra
Goulding,  Summerhayes,  Needham,  Pitcher,  Symes,  Mulholland,  Harman,  Gear,  Lane,   Millbourne,  MacInnes,  Frost,  Hancock,  Westacott, Rice,  Peisley

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica / Ambly

Just to let you know that I found another child for James Ramsay and Eliza Dickie.    You both may already have him but thought I would post him as he is not on the list in your last post Monica.

Andrew Low Ramsay b 27 april 1876, Perth.   Birth Reg 17 May 1876.

Thanks
Sandra
Goulding,  Summerhayes,  Needham,  Pitcher,  Symes,  Mulholland,  Harman,  Gear,  Lane,   Millbourne,  MacInnes,  Frost,  Hancock,  Westacott, Rice,  Peisley

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 19:14 GMT (UK) »
And this is Andrew at home with family in 1881:

James Ramsay 43, joiner
Eliza Ramsay 43
Janet J Ramsay 21, linen weaver
Helen Ramsay 19, Ironer In Dyework
James Ramsay 17, apprentice mason
William Ramsay 12
Ann D Ramsay 8
Andrew L Ramsay 4, b. Perth

Address: 51 So. Methven St, Perth East Church

Monica  :)

No sign of son David b 1870, I wonder if he may have died young?
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica

Thanks - I hadn't got to the census' yet.   I have found James death however.    He died 1911 in Perth.  I think he was living with his brother William before that as his usual residence at time of death is the same as his so maybe he moved in with him after Elizas death.  Also he shows a 68 when, in fact, he was 75 if my sums are correct.    Not sure where he was in the 1901 census but he showed as being alive in Andrews marriage record.   

You don't have James (husband of Jean Skinner) parents do you or any of his siblings.   I might try the census for him when I get home from work.

Thanks
Sandra

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra

Found James b. 1836 in the 1901 - couldn't see him yesterday!:

John McFarlane 45, Erocer's Atterman (?spl), Auchtergaven, Perthshire
Christina McFarlane 47, b. Blawahols (?spl), Perthshire
Alexina McFarlane 22
John McFarlane 24
Peter McFarlane 16
Isabella McFarlane 8
James Ramsay 58, boarder, joiner, b. Strathmiglo...lost a few years of his birthday as you say  ::)

Address: 6 Brown St, Perth

Regarding James, husband of Jean Skinner, hard to say who his parents were at this stage. He looks to have died before the first census in 1841, or at least certainly 1845 when Jean died and showed as his widow.

We have a gap between their marriage in 1812 and the first child that we have for them in 1815, so we haven't got a clue at this stage what names may have been used for any children that may have been born in those first few years. In your position, I would probably try and find the RootsWeb poster on the Fife list that Ambly provided who seemed to have a direct link to this family line - they may have made more headway.

Monica

Offline Margow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

I am descended from James Ramsay and Jean Skinner (my great-great-great-grandparents) through their son James (born 1819). 

James Ramsay was born in Dysart in 1774, the son of James Ramsay and Betty Lecky who married in 1770.  He married Jean Skinner in 1812 and died in St Clairtown (sic), Dysart in 1835. 

The first child of James Ramsay and Jean Skinner was James, born 1813, died 1814.  This child is buried in the same grave as his maternal grandfather, David Skinner (died 1823) in the Sinclairtown Feuars Graveyard, Nether Street, Kirkcaldy.  Their gravestone is just inside the gate to the right.  It is a very small stone and the inscription almost indecipherable.

I hope this is helpful.

Margow

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Helpful? WOW, this is great  ;D Sandra will be pleased!

Welcome to RootsChat Margow  :)

Monica

Offline lyraea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica / Margow

Monica is right - this is wonderful.  Thankyou.  GThis is so great  that I can imagine by the time I get to put together the folders I will have lots to give them.   So - more than pleased - I'm thrilled.

I wonder if the McFarlanes are related.  It says he was a boarder but I have seen that before even when people are staying with relatives.   Yes his age is out by a few years just like his death date.   I can understand the death date as relative, even sons, don't always get it right but I wonder why both are out by so many years.

I was also wondering who the James b 1819 married.   I found a couple in the 1841 census - James and Jean Ramsay at Dysart both aged 20 which, although a year or so out, could be the same person.   Can you enlighten us Margow - do you know if this is your (our) James.

Is there some way we could share our information.   I'm not sure if I can put this on line as they aren't my family - Monica would there be issues if I did that.     I just thought that maybe if we shared our info directly and then went from there looking for sources etc it might be easier for us all.    Anyway, if it is not appropriate please feel free to say so.

I am going to check through all the posts tomorrow to make sure I haven't missed anything.  I'm sure I will have questions after that.

Thanks again to you both
Sandra

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Sandra

I am really chuffed for you  :)

There are no issues with you putting up info here on RootsChat except when you start to enter the 20th C and the possibility that some people may still alive.

To let you and Margow compare notes it is probably easier if you correspond via email or the Private Message service here on RC. Margow can't respond via PM until he/she has posted at least 3 messages on the main forum (to prevent spamming abuse etc.). Maybe you can PM her your email address and you can take it from there?

Let us know how you get on though!

Monica  :)