Author Topic: Robert Duncan - abt 1840 Scoonie Fife  (Read 10897 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Duncan - abt 1840 Scoonie Fife
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 09:40 GMT (UK) »
This looks to be the family's 1841 census entry. This census is the most limited in terms of info. Ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest five years for everyone over 15 and no relationships within the household are shown:

Thomas Duncan 30, smith, b. Scotland
Ann Duncan 30, b. Scotland
Jane Duncan 6, b. Scotland
David Duncan 4, b. born in the County
Robert Duncan 13, b. born in the County
John Duncan 11, b. born in the County

Address:Lethenday Old, Scone Perthshire

This entry comes from a trascript which is not always accurate in terms of transcription  ::) I don't know for example whether the last two, Robert and John, are actually that age or the age is showing in error. For example, Robert should show in 1841, aged c. 1. John may also be one of their children with age mis-transcribed or a relative. If you look at the original it will hopefully be clearer.

Ann's age above looks light (anywhere from 1807-11). However, the 1841 census is the most unreliable in terms of age and you need really a couple of censuses, if you are going by these alone, to get a better feel for someones age.

The good thing is that Thomas father is showing in the 1861 census, which means that his death cert, if he died in Scotland, should be available to view on Scotlands People, and will confirm his parents' details. This is his 1861 entry:

Thomas Duncan 49, blacksmith, b. Strathmiglo, Fifeshire
Margaret Duncan 17, weaver, b. Scone, Perthshire  *
Thomas Duncan 15, shoemaker, b. Kinross

Address: Riggs Row, Cupar Fife

*I think this may the Maryann that showed in 1851, again hard to say what is actually her name without looking at the original images.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline velly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I also did some digging around on SP and have used your suggestion of Ann's birth details to launch a new trail.  Ann's (apparent) parents - Robert Monro and Jean McRitchie as per her birth record in 1801 - have two marriage records (OPRs).  I looked at the actual records and downloaded them.  They are a bit confusing... see what you think...

1.  One is listed as "17/06/1791 Monro, Robert (O.P.R. Marriages 432/0020 0359 Inverkeithing)  Their entry is on May 20th and says "Robert Monro in the parish of Kinross and Jean Macritchie in this parish gave in their names, thrice proclaimed, married 17th June."

2. This one listed as "05/06/1791 Monro, Robert (O.P.R. Marriages 462/0010 0215 Kinross).  Their entry is on a page entitled "1791" and says (in v. tricky to read and faded writing...) "Robert Monro in this and Jean McRitchie in Inverkeithing parish 5 June (and then a little something at the end I can't read)"

.... I've just been alerted to your next post.... I hadn't found Thomas on the 1841 census but did find the entry for 1861.  I also made the connection about the death certificate but haven't been able to find one.  And yes, I think that Margaret the weaver is Maryann the 7 year old in 1851.  I will look for the original of the 1841 census and see if it is clearer. 

Do you also think that given Robert shows up (age appropriately) in the 1851 census) that we can assume he emigrated to Australia somewhere between then and the 1861 census?  (He got married in Beechworth, Victoria in 1864.)

Obviously there is a difference in the spelling of Jean's surname.  But the second appears to refer to the first.  Is it the banns and then the marriage??  ???  

Offline velly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Ah-hah!!  I just looked at the actual record on SP and Robert's age is actually 1 1/2 (i.e. 1.5 yrs).  So, Bingo!  It also says that of the four children only David and Robert were born 'in county' and both John and Jane were not.  Maybe John is a relative as his age would pre-date their marriage in 1834?  And perhaps the 'Jane' is actually Jean but incorrect name? 

Will go and do a double check on Thomas death cert...

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 10:36 GMT (UK) »
In respect of the two entries you have for the marriage, I would say it is certainly the banns and marriage. The one dated 17 June would look to be the marriage itself although I wonder what the reference to the marriage is that shows on IGI for 20 JUL 1834 in Kinross?

In respect of Jane/Jean, they are one and the same. On of the joys of research in Scotland is how interchangeable some names were, see www.whatsinaname.net - never mind how variable spellings were at the time... ;)

Monica

Completely daft answer  :P The dates you referred to were for Ann's parents not Ann and Thomas. But the main point being that the entry on 17 June would appear to be the marriage. Given the naming of parishes, banns look to have been read in both Inverkeithing (probably where Jane came from) and Kinross (for father Robert).

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Can't easily see Robert in the 1861 census index, so he may well have left Scotland by this time.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Can't easily see any entries for father Thomas post 1861, going by occupation and birth place  :-\ Could he have joined son in Australia?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 11:03 GMT (UK) »
This looks a possibility for Ann's father's birth, going by the names of Robert Munro and Jane McRitchie's children:

ROBERT MONRO  Birth: 06 JAN 1770/Christening:14 JAN 1770Kinross, Kinross
Parents:HECTOR MONRO and MARY BARCLAY

Monica

Offline velly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Monica.  I'm v. happy with the discoveries we've made.  Couldn't have done it without you.  And importantly, I've learned things I can apply on other trails.  ;D

I will now start to look for Robert and Thomas leaving Scotland and coming to Australia.  I would have thought Thomas may be a little long in the tooth  ;) to be starting out for Australia but children can be mighty persuasive when they want something! 

I'll let you know if I discover anything more... thanks again  :)

Offline davdee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 March 09 17:36 GMT (UK) »
I have  a Jane/Jean Duncan born c 1834/35 , I have no known siblings or parents yet. I have been led to believe Banff or perhaps Aberdeen was where her parents came from. This Jane/Jean probably didnt marry but she did have a daughter ,Margaret  1856. Margaret married a John Mcgough ,one of their children assumed Margarets maiden in adulthood and hence my line as Duncan was re routed from Mcgough or Mcgoff.  I dont suppose this will be of any use to you ,but you never know. I cannot seem to get anything on Jane/Jean.