Author Topic: Tracing PHILP/PHILLIPS from Fife  (Read 43082 times)

Offline marythorburn

• RootsChat Extra
  • mt
    • View Profile
Tracing PHILP/PHILLIPS from Fife
« on: Monday 17 November 08 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Anybody researching Philp/Phillips from Fife that can help me

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PHILP/PHILLIPS FROM FIFE
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 November 08 13:49 GMT (UK) »
just posted on the berrie thread inreply to your question.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 November 08 13:50 GMT (UK) »
what exactly are you looking for? / have already so don't duplicate?
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 November 08 14:12 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the info you sent.
what do you need help with? I can help with death / MI lookups or general stuff

Offline marythorburn

• RootsChat Extra
  • mt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 November 08 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Anything that you can give

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 November 08 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Have you been on freereg?

http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/Search.pl

if you put in just surname Philp and fifeshire either on births / marriages or deaths there is an amazing amount of info.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 November 08 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Mary

Can I suggest a couple of things so that people can help you as much as they can on your posts:

- Give as much info as you have to date, e.g., I have made up names - a Robert Philips born c. 1840 in Dysart who married a Jane Smith, in 1870 in Dunfermline. His parents showed as xxxx. I have him and family in the censuses from that date......... You get the general idea  ;)

- Also, include what documents you may already have so that people don't search or repeat what you already have. From the example above, you would have his marriage and census entries from 1871 onwards....

- Try to keep your posts for one family under one main thread so that people coming on to your post can see what information has been found so far.

People here on RootsChat have access or knowledge on a variety of different areas and you will find that more than one person can contribute to your posts with lots of different types of information which help in building the picture for you.

I'm sure you will enjoy your time here  :)

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marythorburn

• RootsChat Extra
  • mt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 November 08 15:24 GMT (UK) »
thanks

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: TRACING PHILP/PHILLIPS FROM FIFE
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 August 09 09:22 BST (UK) »
Mary

Not sure if you are still searching for Philp / Phillips - just noticed your posting.  I have Philps in East Fife - my 4 x G Grandparents were John Philp and Marion Mackie - they married in Elie in 1834.  One of their sons - Charles - was a baker in London - in 1887 his wife died and some of his younger children were taken into care.  They were eventually sent to Canada as orphans and lived their lives there.  Charles re-married a few years later - but never saw those kids again.  I have a fair bit of into on these Philps and many more.  Please let me know if this lot fit in with yours.

Regards

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada