Author Topic: Tracing PHILP/PHILLIPS from Fife  (Read 43100 times)

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing PHILP/PHILLIPS from Fife
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mary Thorburn,
Here from my PAF are my Philp links ... I have more re-the living
1.George Philp .
George married Janet Littlejohn  on 28 Dec 1775 in Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland . They had the following children:
+2Mi.George Philp  was christened on 25 Apr 1779. He died on 29 Sep 1856.
Second Generation
2.George Philp  (George) was christened on 25 Apr 1779 in Carnock, Fife, Scotland . He died on 29 Sep 1856 in Bellyeoman Farm, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland.  The cause of death was Dysentery.
George married Elizabeth Cummings  daughter of William Stewart Cummings and Mary Branch in 1805 in Fife, Scotland. Elizabeth was born on 7 Jan 1776 in Kilconquhar, Fife, Scotland. She died on 14 Dec 1868 in Howfold, Fossoway, Scotland. They had the following children:
3Fi.Mary Philp  was born on 23 Sep 1808 in Burntisland, Fife, Scotland.
4Fii.Euphan Philp  was christened on 19 Nov 1815 in Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland.
+5Miii.George Philp [Farmer]  was born on 26 Jul 1820. He died on 19 Jan 1899.
6Miv.William Philp  was born on 22 Aug 1823 in Inverkeithing, Fife, Scotland.
Third Generation
5.George Philp [Farmer]  (George, George) was born on 26 Jul 1820 in Inverkeithing, Fife, Scotland. He died on 19 Jan 1899 in Saline, Fife, scotland.  The cause of death was Cardiac Failure.
George married (1) Margaret Collier  daughter of John Collier [Farmer] and Janet Reekie on 25 Jul 1858 in Beath, Fife, Scotland. Margaret was born on 1 Dec 1834 in Beath, Fife, Scotland. She died on 11 Jul 1862 in Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland.
George and Margaret had the following children:
+7Fi.Janet Philp  was born on 25 Mar 1859. She died on 9 Jul 1926.
8Fii.Elizabeth Philp  was born on 3 Aug 1860 in Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland. Elizabeth married Andrew Westwater  son of Andrew Westwater and Elizabeth Harrower on 10 Jul 1890 in Fossoway, Kinross, Scotland. Andrew was born on 25 May 1861 in Clackmannan, Clackmannan, Scotland.
9Fiii.Margaret Philp  was born on 14 May 1862 in Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland.
George married (2) Jane Coventry Murray  on 28 Jun 1865 in Fossoway, Kinross, Scotland. Jane was born on 29 May 1823 in Fossoway, Kinross, Scotland.
Fourth Generation
7.Janet Philp  (George, George, George) was born on 25 Mar 1859 in Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland. She died on 9 Jul 1926 in Kinross, Kinross, Scotland.  The cause of death was Carcinoma of Stomach.
Janet married Henry Swan Young  son of James Young and Mary Swan on 17 Nov 1886 in Fossoway, Kinross, Scotland. Henry was born on 16 Feb 1864 in Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland. He died on 2 May 1949 in Crossford, Fife, Scotland. They had the following children:
10Fi.Margaret Jane Young  was born in 1887 in Fossoway, Kinross, Scotland.
11Mii.James Young  was born in 1889 in Fossoway, Kinross, Scotland.
12Miii.George Philp Young  was born in 1891 in Fossoway, Kinross, Scotland.
13Fiv.Mary Swan Young  was born on 1 Jun 1893 in Fossoway, Kinross, Scotland. She died on 31 Jul 1934 in Ottumwa, Iowa, USA.  The cause of death was Cerebral Haemorrhage. She was buried in Sep 1934 in Ormanville, Green Township, Wapello Cty, Iowa, USA.
Mary married Lawrence Elmer Orman  on 25 Apr 1917 in Ottumwa, Iowa, USA. Lawrence was born on 4 Mar 1882 in Ormanville, Iowa, USA. He died on 19 Dec 1961 in Ottumwa, Iowa, USA. He was buried in Ormanville, Iowa, USA.
14Mv.Henry Swan Young  was born in 1897 in Saline, Fife, Scotland.

Aye
DDJJAKE
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline NJK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 22:16 GMT (UK) »
We have a Philp family in the Phillips DNA project whose roots are in Dunfermline, Scotland.  Here is the lineage:

1.  Robert Philp b 1620 Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, m Issobell Cunynghame
2.  Robert Philp b 3 Sept 1650 Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, m Jonet Gray
3.  George Philp b 7 Sept 1673 Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, m Agnes Russell
4.  John Philp b 22 June 1721 Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland, m Bettsey or Betty Weems
5.  John Philp b 3 April 1747 Aberdour, Fife, Scotland, m Helen Greig
6.  John Philp b 22 March 1767 Burntisland, Fife, Scotland, m Margaret Sharp
7.  Andrew Philp b 7 Aug 1790 Aberdour, Fife, Scotland, m Isabel Hoy
8.  Andrew Phillips Hoey b 29 Jan 1824 Inverkeithing, Fife, Scotland, m Ann Low Taylor
9.  Alejandro Phillips Low b 25 Dec 1862 Scotland, m Maria Elena Arias Retana
10.  Jose Ernesto Phillips Arias b 29 Oct 1905 San Jose, Costa Rica, m Irma Jemenez Rojas

This family is very interesting, because they immigrated to Costa Rica in the 20th century, intermarried with Costa Ricans and now speak only Spanish.  However, their yDNA tests as Haplogroup I2a1, which is commonly found in Scandinavia.  The presence of this haplogroup in the British Isles probably reflects the influence of Vikings.  Here is a link to our website if you want to look at this particular Philp family, which is labeled as Family Group 54: www.phillipsdnaproject.com

Sincerely,
Nancy Kiser
Volunteer administrator
Phillips DNA Project and One-Name Study

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 18 March 10 09:20 GMT (UK) »
must be a dialect thing su no rippiths on death index

Katherine MACKIE   REDP:   Kilrenny      11 Apr 1830         widow   Walter Mackie   A decline   OPR   OPR 438-3

Katherine REDPATH   MACK:   Kilrenny      11 Apr 1830         widow   Walter Mackie   A decline   OPR   OPR 438-3   Old Parochial Registers

Walter MACKIE      Kilrenny,Cellardyke      9 Jul 1818      day labourer         Suddenly of an inflammation   OPR   OPR 438-2   

I've often seen RIPPITH as a variant of REDPATH - showing how it was pronounced by working-class Scots - and it's common to see dialect spellings of a name in the records. Sometimes the clerk isn't sure how to spell the name, and that's when he will resort to using the word "alias" - e.g. in the East Neuk of Fife the surname MOTION appears in the late 18th century and you find it written as "MOTION alias MOSHEIM", which has led some people to believe it must be Norwegian. Most of the people who bore those names would have been illiterate, so they didn't know the correct spelling themselves, and they pronounced their names in dialect form with a strong accent, so you can see the problem the parish-clerks faced trying to write them down.

As another example, your Walter MACKIE may be the Walter born at Kilconquhar in 1776 to a couple  whose names are spelt in the OPR (and IGI) as "James McKIE and Helan HAKERSTON". I've often seen MACKIE spelt McKIE and MACKAY - all of which are different names - "Helan" should be "Helen", and HAKERSTON is usually HALKERSTON, which in the 19th century is shortened to HAXTON.

Names are a minefield!

Harry

Offline suzic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 18 March 10 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harry
Thanks for message. I agree spelling of names are a minefield. Had same problem with Belfrage and Bonella.
Su

Offline Jeannie H

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 18 March 10 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jacci for this information-Georage Paterson 1813 is mine & I had this as well as Jean.  However all the rest of the details are new - it is always good to fill in another few blanks on my tree.  Jeannie
Morrison, Moir, Watt, Nicoll. Paterson, Hutchison, Luke, Philp, Robertson, Drysdake -  Fife
Sime, Fleming - Angus

Offline jac2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 18 March 10 22:57 GMT (UK) »

you're welcome jeannie always happy to help if i can

jacci
jack, mitchell,lowrie murray, donaldson, forgie, anderson, corbett, spence thomson kerr plouman/plowman,  fife, midlothian, lanarkshire, moray, wick.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 21 March 10 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Philp researchers

Anyone got Isabella Young Philp in their tree? She was born 3 Apr 1808 in Coaltown of Balgonie and married William Patrick 24 Nov 1837 in Markinch. She died 21 Sep 1895 in Thornton.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline beansgram

• RootsChat Veteran
  • peter drylie christina mcpherson
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 21 March 10 17:25 GMT (UK) »
hi chatters

does anyone have hannah philp born 1792 married to john stenhouse born 1797

married 1822 in fife. looking for her parents and siblings.  i also have a william

philps born 1864 married to elizabeth adamson.  james born abt 1850 married to

margaret mcpherson.  and james born abt 1870 and married to janet/jane tod.

all of these philps are connected to my tree by their spouses but would still like

to fill in their families all are from fife

beans
drylie,mcpherson,tod,burt,beveridge
fife dunfermline kincross iverness

Offline phillipscostarica

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 08 August 10 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hello: DDJJAKE. It excuses, to use translator online.My name is Richard Phillips. I am del that makes mention Mary Thorburn, of the Phillips of Costa Rica. It would mean to him Cousin, it believes that he is a little while very special and from already greetings from Costa Rica. I am 43 years old, I am genealogista for 25 years, I am member of three organizations whom they have to do furthermore with genealogy and LDS or Mormon. I have in facebook a page that is called: FAMILIAPHILLIPSDECOSTARICA, are about 150 members of this page, all of my family, confirmed by my, we are altogether about 600 people of my family who live today here, have to all the PHILLIPS inventoried from 1848 to year 2010, to All the PHILLIPS of Costa Rica, have 200 pages of information of the family here in Costa Rica, documents of National Archives, photos, of the first Phillips here, that was Andrew Phillips (its second last name was Hoy, by its Isabel Hoy, mother). I hope we pruned to share information, I have photos of 6 generations, that compose my patriarchal line. Of haplogrupo ours after three examinations to men it is I2a2 D-Isles, (Dinaricac) in agreement to Ken Nordvert, in information who we shared a year ago. The results estan in Molecular Sorenson Genealogic Foundation SMGF. In these months we will have the page Web of the family, with all the information who comment it compares so that it. It can write to me to (*).
Greetings.
 Richard Phillips.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php