Author Topic: Tracing PHILP/PHILLIPS from Fife  (Read 43121 times)

Offline beansgram

• RootsChat Veteran
  • peter drylie christina mcpherson
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing PHILP/PHILLIPS from Fife
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 12 October 13 00:04 BST (UK) »
Does anybody researching the Philps have a Philps married to Peter Burt.  On a death cert for Thomas Penman Burt it lists his father as Peter Burt mothers maiden name Philps but doesn't give her first name anyone have these people in their tree.   thanks    Beans
drylie,mcpherson,tod,burt,beveridge
fife dunfermline kincross iverness

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 14 October 13 15:25 BST (UK) »
Although this thread is titled "PHILP/PHILLIPS", I think almost every post has been about the name PHILP.

There was actually a family called PHILLIPS who moved from Dunbar in East Lothian to St. Monans in Fife, where they ran a cod-liver oil factory. Earlier generations of the family included fish curers and a ship's captain. In the 1871 census of St. Monans Thomas PHILLIPS and his wife have 8 children, so there will be lots of descendants. They married into the old St. Monans boatbuilding family of Miller, and a descendant, Jenny Miller MacDonald, daughter of the late William Phillips Miller OBE, writes in her book "St. Monans: Cherished Memories of a Boatbuilding and Fishing Village in the East Neuk of Fife", that the ancestors of the PHILLIPS family of St. Monans were a French family from Brittany called Felipe.

Harry

Offline Sheena-Ann Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 03 January 15 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Chiad Fear

i am researching the line you want!  isabella Young Philip is on my son in laws line!  parents = George Philp and Isabella Melville!

have sent you a private message!

SB

Offline beansgram

• RootsChat Veteran
  • peter drylie christina mcpherson
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 03 January 15 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I am still looking for the wife of Thomas Penman Burt her maiden name was Philp/s
drylie,mcpherson,tod,burt,beveridge
fife dunfermline kincross iverness

Offline calcon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 09 January 15 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Also interested in philps from fife

my great great aunt was

Kate Hepburn 1895 ballingary married to xxxxx Philps

I am told they had 11 daughters and adopted a son

Kate's parents are George Elder Hepburn 1863 and Elizabeth Campbell 1868

Siblings - Lizzie Hepburn 1893
              James H Hepburn c 1888
              Bella Hepburn c 1899

I am trying to find any information on Kate and her family, james and his family and bella and her family

Thanks

Fran
Campbell
McKean
Stewart
Shaw
McLeod
Hepburn
Downie
Birse
Glennie

Offline Sierra32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 14 March 15 23:17 GMT (UK) »
My 5x G grandmother is a Lucy Philp. I haven't been able to find an exact birth date but probably around 1774 in or around the St Monance/Monans area. She married William Wilson in St Monance in 1809. I am descended through their daughter Janet. I haven't been able to get any further back through "Family Search"or ScotlandsPeople than Lucy- although I appreciate that records before that were not that robust. Any suggestions most welcome.

Offline Stuart273

• RootsChat Member
  • 2016 Panto - Upgraded to Yorkshire Yokel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 13 August 15 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Maybe related to all these and maybe not, but I've come across a little bit of a wall with this family and wondered if anyone can help out please.
In the 1901 census there is a Philip family living in Kirkgate, Cupar (GROS 420/00 004/00 021). William is the head and Isabella his wife, daughters Betsy, Mary, Belly (Isabella) and Whilrenince (who I take to actually be Wilhelmina) are also there, as expected. However there is also mention of a grand daughter Daisy aged 6. Have tried scotlandspeople and Ancestry to try and ascertain which the mother is, but to no avail. Going by ages I would guess at Betsy or Mary, more likely Mary, but can't find any evidence this is the case. Can anyone shed any light on how else I can find out please, or indeed is anyone else researching the Cupar strain of the Philp family?
Cheers
Stuart
General:
Scotland - Henderson, Rutherford, Tofts, Green, Philp/Philip, Cook
England/Wales - Helps, Jones, Wright, Petheram (Axbridge and surrounding areas, Somerset)
Canada: Rutherford, Green
New Zealand: Rutherford

Offline victoria Lisa white

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 26 December 19 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Dear Suzic and Osprey,

I am looking for some information on my mother in laws side of the family and saw your post re Philp.   
in fife. She was also a descendent of Catherine Philp through her son Thomas who was born in 1875.

We moved to East Fife five years ago with no links to the area but have since discovered that we do indeed have relations from the area.
I saw your previous posts from 2010 but would be very interested to see what information you had on this shared relation.
Many thanks

Victoria

Offline Margow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 27 December 19 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
Maybe related to all these and maybe not, but I've come across a little bit of a wall with this family and wondered if anyone can help out please.
In the 1901 census there is a Philip family living in Kirkgate, Cupar (GROS 420/00 004/00 021). William is the head and Isabella his wife, daughters Betsy, Mary, Belly (Isabella) and Whilrenince (who I take to actually be Wilhelmina) are also there, as expected. However there is also mention of a grand daughter Daisy aged 6. Have tried scotlandspeople and Ancestry to try and ascertain which the mother is, but to no avail. Going by ages I would guess at Betsy or Mary, more likely Mary, but can't find any evidence this is the case. Can anyone shed any light on how else I can find out please, or indeed is anyone else researching the Cupar strain of the Philp family?
Cheers
Stuart

Assuming (a) that Daisy may be a pet name and (b) that Philip and Philp are interchangeable, I suggest checking ScotlandsPeople for a female birth with surname Philip or Philp (try fuzzy matching) in Cupar between c. 1894 and 1896.  The SP index shows only one result i.e. Isabella Smith Philp born 1894 - possibly your girl ?