Author Topic: Hawkhead mental hospital  (Read 18444 times)

Offline pancho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Hawkhead mental hospital
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 January 09 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hawkhead and Leverndale are only a mile apart as the crow flies I live near both but Im positive the Main building of Leverndale was once named Hawkhead
Sloey,Slowey,O`Connor ,Hammond,Coulston ,Daily,McCabe ,McCartney,Cunningham ,Martin, McKenna,Cairns Fox,Martin Places of interest Monaghan,Glasgow ,Liverpool,Wolverhampton,Wallasey.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 January 09 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hawkhead and Leverndale are only a mile apart as the crow flies I live near both but Im positive the Main building of Leverndale was once named Hawkhead

You are right, as discussed earlier what was Leverndale Hospital (or I suppose still is) was once known as Hawkhead Mental Hospital.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=O62204

The hospital in Paisley now known as Hawkhead Hospital was the Paisley Infectious Diseases Hospital which was built in the 1930's in an art deco style.
(now being converted to flats )

Sometime in the 1960's when the original Hawkhead hospital on the Glasgow side of the boundary became Leverndale Hospital the hospital in Paisley also changed its name to become Hawkhead Hospital - logical really as it sits off of Hawkhead Road in Paisley.

Offline SarahU

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 June 16 05:24 BST (UK) »
My grandmother's cousin (Heanney) died in 1905 in the Infectious Diseases Hospital Paisley,  according to his death certificate, which would indicate that it was this hospital that was in Hawkhead Road before being torn down in the 1920s or 1930s and replaced by the mental hospital.
Ayrshire - Aird, Kennedy, Stevenson
Bellshill - Allan, Haney
Clydebank - Henderson, Leckie, White
Croydon Surrey - Ridley, Baxter, Giles, Histed, Spencer
Edinburgh - Allan, Mathew, Swanson, Rough/Ruff
Glasgow - Leckie, McLaughlin, Wilson
Motherwell - Underwood
Paisley - Docherty, Haney/Heaney
Prestonpans/Tranent - Donaldson
Rutland - Eglesfield, Swann
Shropshire - Shepherd, Tonks, Underwood
Ireland - Allan, Docherty, Heaney

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 June 16 10:40 BST (UK) »
My grandmother's cousin (Heanney) died in 1905 in the Infectious Diseases Hospital Paisley,  according to his death certificate, which would indicate that it was this hospital that was in Hawkhead Road before being torn down in the 1920s or 1930s and replaced by the mental hospital.

The infectious diseases hospital in Paisley was a different hospital - the hospital which was in Hawkhead Road in Paisley which was the NEW infectious Diseases hospital wasn't built until the 1920's/30's and was built on previously undisturbed farmlands.
The old hospital was somewhere around Bridge Street/Mill Street area.

Leverndale Hospital which was previously known as Hawkhead is in Glasgow and was originally built by Govan Parish in 1895. As it grew it acquired more land some of which crossed the County Boundary (or the boundary was realigned) which took some of it into Renfrewshire.(the main administrative buildings still maintained their Glasgow address)
Both Hospitals took their name from the original estate lands - Hawkhead (or in old maps Halkhead)

Dykebar which opened in 1909 was the Paisley equivalent to the Glasgow/Govan Hawkhead Hospital

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 June 16 20:34 BST (UK) »
The Infectious Diseases Hospital was behind the Infirmary on Bridge Street.

Access may have been from Bladda Lane

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 June 16 22:36 BST (UK) »
"Access may have been from Bladda Lane"

Unfortunate if you had a urinary infection...

Offline SarahU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 June 16 00:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info - hope there's a W.C handy.
Ayrshire - Aird, Kennedy, Stevenson
Bellshill - Allan, Haney
Clydebank - Henderson, Leckie, White
Croydon Surrey - Ridley, Baxter, Giles, Histed, Spencer
Edinburgh - Allan, Mathew, Swanson, Rough/Ruff
Glasgow - Leckie, McLaughlin, Wilson
Motherwell - Underwood
Paisley - Docherty, Haney/Heaney
Prestonpans/Tranent - Donaldson
Rutland - Eglesfield, Swann
Shropshire - Shepherd, Tonks, Underwood
Ireland - Allan, Docherty, Heaney

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 June 16 00:07 BST (UK) »
The NHS archives are held at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow.  I would contact them, they may hold records although I don't know which years would be covered.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 June 16 08:35 BST (UK) »
       About 7 or 8 years ago, I enquired at the Mitchell about a relative who was admitted to Hawkhead in 1904.

From memory, I think they gave me a time when to go to the Mitchell and when my sister & I went there, they then produced a large ledger which contained the hospital records for my relative.      The writing was poor, but I could decipher it.      I asked the Mitchell if I could have Photostat copies - the hospital records ran from 1904 to 1917, when he died there.     

Again, from memory, I think I received the Photostat copies through the post.   I still have these hospital records.

I have my relative's death certificate, and it states the place where he died as being: Hawkhead Asylum, Paisley.

The records I have are quite thorough and explain the patient's state of mind and his behaviour and some of the things he was saying.      We were amazed at the detailed information, but the only drawback was the poorly scrawled writing.      You had to study every sentence to catch its true meaning.