Author Topic: Distinguished Flying Medal Lookups  (Read 24169 times)

Offline Spikey68

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Distinguished Flying Medal Lookups
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 18 January 15 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
     I don't have all the details I'm afraid , but can you find any information on a James (Jim) Currie who was a rear gunner and I believe received the award during WW2?

There are two James Currie listed in "Honour the Air Forces" Both were with the RAFVR though one was was serving with the Royal Indian Air Force. The RAF Currie was a pilot with 77 Squadron who received a DFC. His citation can be found:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/36767/page/4926

The other was serving with 4 Squadron RIAF and his DFC citation can be found:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Database/Awards/awards.php?qunit=4%20Squadron

Offline Alastair Peden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 18 January 15 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for such a quick response .
Are there any other decorated fliers named J. Currie (not necessarily James ) from the WW2 era?

Offline msimp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 18 January 15 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alastair,
Only one J.Currie in the D.F.M.Register,John Richard Currie,service number 630347,Wireless Operator/Air Gunner,44 Squadron,award gazetted 17/1/41.
Regards,Mark.

Offline Bubbles_Barker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Distinguished Flying Medal Lookups
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 31 January 16 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Would it be possible for someone to look up a DFM citation for:

Wireless Operator - Sgt James "Jimmy/Jock" Boles RAF (553790), of Airdrie, Scotland flying with 429 (Bison) Sqn RCAF in 1943 and possibly later. He was my uncle and sadly died in a flying accident in South Africa flying for 1 Sqn SAAF in 1952 immediately prior to a posting to Korea.

He survived three flying accidents, baling out of an aircraft over the English Channel, a serious crash at East Moor in March 1943 and a further incident. He was awarded the DFM for service with 429 Squadron, Gazetted on 13th September 1943. He received his commission to the rank of P/O on probation (emergency) on 20th May 1943, rising to F/O on probation (war subs) on 20th November 1943 and F/Lt (war subs) on 20th May 1945.

His DFM has unfortunately been lost and I have never been able to find any information on his citation - I would really be grateful if anyone could look it up for me.

Offline emmagee1915

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, kty, could you possibly look up 1823178 Gerald Steele R.A.F.V.R. 90 Squadron. Many thanks.

Offline Frank54marshall

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello, hopefully you'll be able to help me with a citation for the DFM to John Edward Anthony H Fairfax sgt. 742874 RAFVR Lg. 22/08/1941 gaz issue 35254 page 4865      9 sqdn. Many thanks regards frank

Offline AcmeUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Distinguished Flying Medal Lookups - Donald Thane Pitman
« Reply #42 on: Friday 14 April 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

My wife's cousin was Donald Thane Pitman. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal in 1942.
His award was listed in the Supplement to the London Gazette dated 11th August 1942 (page 3498).

We would be most grateful if you could see if you have his medal citation in your book. His service number was 984566.

Donald was 22 years old when he was killed by enemy action on the night of 17th January 1943. He was in an Avro Lancaster, registration number W4772, which took part in the air raid on Berlin that night. His Lancaster is recorded as having crashed in the North Sea 10km West of Vlieland.

In the book Nachtjagd, Defenders of the Reich 1940-1943 by Martin Bowman (ISBN: 9781473849839) the event is covered.

At the beginning chapter 8 the raid on Berlin on the 17th January is described. In this there is a reference that Unteroffizer Karl-Georg Pfieffer filed a report claiming to have shot down a Lancaster at 10km West of Vlieland at 2329. This was probably W4772 in which Donald was returning from the raid.

The chapter contains a description of the attack on the Lancaster.

Prior to the war Donald was a child actor. He played the part of Gussy in the 1935 version of Emil and the Detectives.

Thanking you in anticipation.

W Price

Offline AcmeUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Distinguished Flying Medal Lookups - No More?!
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 15 April 17 20:02 BST (UK) »
It looks like the member KYT who posted the original message is no longer active. His last logon to the forum was in June 2013.

He had a website www.cfww2.com, Commonwealth Forces of WW2. This no longer exists.

The Wayback Machine has the last valid capture of the site in November 2011.

For those looking for Award Citations try the London Gazette web site :-
www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices/notice

I found that searching the surname yielded multiple results. However using the service number gave me a direct hit.

In my case only the notice of the award was available, not the citation. So other hunters may or may not get the actual citation.

Anyone know where to go, to get the actual citation?

Hope this helps someone.

Offline daretodiscover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 17 April 17 22:01 BST (UK) »
Short of finding a copy of Tavender's book, the only other place would be in the AIR2 file series at Kew. This file is an example: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2644050 but browsing Discovery will narrow down the results.

DTD