Author Topic: Burke's of Mounthoward  (Read 22799 times)

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
Burke's of Mounthoward
« on: Tuesday 18 November 08 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have been researching my Grandad, John (Jack) Burke b1908 and his parents Patrick b1800 & Margaret (Maggie) Mythen b 1881. I have recently received a copy of the 1911 Census for him and have found out the names of his siblings for the first time.
Patrick b 1902
James b 1903
Charles b 1906
Maggie b 1909
They lived in Mounthoward Lower, Monamolin, Gorey Co. Wexford.
My Grandad died in 1997 and until I started my quest no one in the family knew anything about his Irish family at all, which is funny seeing that he had 6 children. Does anybody out there know of the family or better still are doing research as well and may have any of them in their tree. I would really appreciate any infomation as living in the UK it is very hard to do any kind of research.
Cheers
Westy
Burke, Mythen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Hendey,Hayward,Stevenson,Wells,Scott,Hutchings, Wren - Hampshire
Cox, Keats, Lyde, Roberts, Bishop, Snelling - Dorset
Dickinson - Bristol
West/Gustar - Isle of Wight
Russell -Salisbury

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burke's of Mounthoward
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello there.

I am not sure if we havea match but My grandfather was called Patrick Joseph Burke born 1902 in the area u state your Grandfather was born and lived.
I have very little info other than he maried my Grandmother Margaret Mary Sunderland in the late 1920's in Ferns near Enniscorthy Co Wexford?

Doyou have any other info on your Burke Family as i will ask my Mother as she would know more info.

Regards

Hodgkiss77

Offline deepthinker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Irish civil registrations (1845-1958) went on-line this week (February 2009).  You can search for individuals or just surnames at:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=2;t=searchable;c=1408347

I too have families originating in Ferns and Camolin and Ballycanew and Gorey etc etc, but no Burkes it would appear.

Good luck.

deepthinker

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 17:53 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather John (Jack) Burke had a brother called Patrick born in 1902 and his parents were Patrick b1880 and Maggie Mythen b1881 they were married in Boolavogue Catholic Church in 1900. If you can find out his parents name then we may have a match. My grandad came to the UK somewhen in the 1920's / 1930's and married Lily Hutchings. The other children were James,Charles & Margaret. It would be great if there was a link
Cheers
Steve
Thanks deepthinker for the link to the new on-line Irish records I have found a few names but now have to find out how to view the records !!
Burke, Mythen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Hendey,Hayward,Stevenson,Wells,Scott,Hutchings, Wren - Hampshire
Cox, Keats, Lyde, Roberts, Bishop, Snelling - Dorset
Dickinson - Bristol
West/Gustar - Isle of Wight
Russell -Salisbury

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 19:38 GMT (UK) »
The familysearch website does not have the record details to go with the index,
if you find a promising record on the index search you can use the details to order a cert form the GRO - see thier website : www.groireland.ie

they will require the name, year & quarter, registration district, volume no. & page

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 February 09 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

I have just found out some informtion from my mother about my Grandfather Patrick Burke.
He was Born in September 1905 in Townland-Ballytracey-The barony is Gorey and the Parish is Kilcormick and the PLU is Enniscorthy,Co Wexford.
His Parents Where Michael Burke And annie Leary both living In Ballytracey.
Perhaps My Michael Burke could be related to yours as think my Grandfather may not fit in as he was born in 1905 excact!
I am very aware that Boleyvogue is very near Ballytracey so there must be a connection with my Burkes and yours?
I am sorry i don't have any further Info apart from the above and all that i have already posted on here?

hope to recieve a reply from you soon....it would be interesting to see if our Burkes are related in some way?

Regards

Hodgkiss77

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 February 09 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Deepthinker...
You mentioned that you have familyin the ferns area....You don't have any Furlongs-Sunderlands or Leary's do you ? I amalso currently trying to trace them to!
Any info would be of help if you are researching any of these names?
Regards
Hodgkiss77

Irish civil registrations (1845-1958) went on-line this week (February 2009).  You can search for individuals or just surnames at:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=2;t=searchable;c=1408347

I too have families originating in Ferns and Camolin and Ballycanew and Gorey etc etc, but no Burkes it would appear.

Good luck.

deepthinker

Offline trying hard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have been researching my Grandad, John (Jack) Burke b1908 and his parents Patrick b1800 & Margaret (Maggie) Mythen b 1881. I have recently received a copy of the 1911 Census for him and have found out the names of his siblings for the first time.
Patrick b 1902
James b 1903
Charles b 1906
Maggie b 1909
They lived in Mounthoward Lower, Monamolin, Gorey Co. Wexford.
My Grandad died in 1997 and until I started my quest no one in the family knew anything about his Irish family at all, which is funny seeing that he had 6 children. Does anybody out there know of the family or better still are doing research as well and may have any of them in their tree. I would really appreciate any infomation as living in the UK it is very hard to do any kind of research.
Cheers
Westy

My grandmother was Margaret Burke, from Mt. Howard born 1882
Her Parents were:  Patrick Burke and Margaret Swords Mt. Howard

Offline trying hard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 April 10 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Deepthinker...
You mentioned that you have familyin the ferns area....You don't have any Furlongs-Sunderlands or Leary's do you ? I amalso currently trying to trace them to!
Any info would be of help if you are researching any of these names?
Regards
Hodgkiss77
I am researching my family and my grandmother was margaret burke her parents were Patrick burke and margaret swords. from Mt Howard. going through my records  i have come accross a Michael Burke married to Catherine Sunderland 1n 1899 i hope this helps you i am not sure where it fits in with my search if at all yet. good luck

Good luck.

deepthinker