Author Topic: Cooke's Larne & Kilwaughter  (Read 10114 times)

Offline *kookie*

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cooke's Larne & Kilwaughter
« on: Wednesday 19 November 08 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Im trying to track my family tree..... well helping my dad really. Our family are originally from Kilwaughter in Larne and they worked in the castle as "cooks" or chef's as it may be. My dad is Alan and grandfather is John,he had sister's called Sarah and Maisie. All born in Larne Co. Antrim, N.Ireland.  This is all new to me, and am looking some guidance or help.

Perhaps there are some Cooke's on this site!!

Any help would be appreciated!

Renowned for our swerthy skin, my dad reckons that there is actually Italian blood somewhere down the line..

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cooke's Larne & Kilwaughter
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 November 08 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cookie

Welcome to Rootschat.

People on this site are very keen to help but you will need to give more information for them to go on.

Are your family still in Ireland or did they emigrate?  If they emigrated where did they go and around what date?

Are you looking for current family or tracing your ancestors?

If you have names of grandparents, where and when they were born (even if only approximate dates) this will help.

Good luck with your searching

Sandgrounder
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 November 08 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. As Sandgrounder1 says we really do need more details to find more information or to suggest where to look next. Just remember not to post details of living relatives.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jenny57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 November 08 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
If you google Kilwaughter Castle it brings up a lot of hits and you might find something on there.  My ancestors were from that area too (didnt work in the Castle tho), found some info on them on the 1851 Census.  The Agnews from the Castle have a Family Genealoogy Site on genforum I think, might be worth a look as well.
ATB

Maxwell,Workman, O'Neill, Smyth/Smith.
Reid,McClean,O'Hara,
Weir,Neill.

Offline AUSSIETIMM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 November 08 10:55 GMT (UK) »
my name is robert cooke and i think we are related, please contact me on Moderator comment: email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policy.  Please use the PM system to exchange personal details   .1 was born in larne and still have relatives there and would like to hear from you. kindest regards, robert,

Offline *kookie*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 November 08 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert, the site seems to have removed your e.mail. I sent you one from an address I got from another site concerning this... Id really like to get in touch but am not sure how! Ive been in contact with Ted Cooke who has e-mailed me a copy of the info/family tree he has. I think there may be a possibility that your great great grandfather is my dad's too..... hopefully hear from you soon. Lauren

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 November 08 18:27 GMT (UK) »
*Kookie*, email addresses aren't supposed to be posted on Rootschat due to issues like spam, etc. You have to make a few posts before using PM (personal message) system here (anti-spam measure) and then you can send email addresses, details of living relatives, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline AUSSIETIMM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 January 09 06:39 GMT (UK) »
;) Hey cousin were on line to help you with your questions as my father Robert is of a little rusty when it comes to write back our email here in Australia is (*)
although I wasn't born in Larne like that of dad and his ancestors i have studied his family tree and to this day still do of research to of help him..

So any questions drop us a line and i will get to it asap (allow at least 1 day as i work as a head chef here in warragul a suburb 167miles east of Melbourne as to bob he is of 12 miles south of me as both my wife and i live in a suburb called Morwell of similarity to larne the only difference no water but of powerstations instead as it would be great to talk to another cousin whom i have not met... your cousin timm son of bob whom your write to..best of luck and excuse my spelling i rushed this.... :)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline AUSSIETIMM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 January 09 02:07 GMT (UK) »
:D HEY COS

Sorry for not writting to you sooner than requested as we are going through a vary hot spell temperatures above 136F or in Australian above 44c  for the whole week making it bearable to do anything as it still doesn't stop the clientele coming inn.

Hows everyone as looking over there its quite a chill according to dads family whom still reside in Co Antrim (Larne) and Co Clare and around the Glenn's.

So hows your research going as I were not sure of what you were after from me??

Dad's family roots originate from Milbrook, Larne, Kilwaughter, Ballymena, Co Kerry, Co Clare, Shanklin, etc etc as to say of what origans I still get tolled from my aunties whom are in there late 80's say we from possibly Spanish or Portuguese (Xcuse my spelling) as from looking at some of the photos of those whom we have of the family whom came from ireland are of definite dark skinned especially the peden family members i thought irelands colled not hot lol :) as to know a little about my side of the family ties here goes lol

Full name. Timothy--------
D.O.B. --------
Studdies: --------------
Occupation. ---------
Wife. -----------
D.O.B. -----------
Children: ---------- --------- ---------

If its of any of help Lauren i go on the rootschat chat line after 11pm weekdays which is around 12 midday over your time let us know when your on the chat line so we can have a chat any way have to get ready for work and talk with ya soon an say hi to all my lost relatives over there as to your family cya then timm (Cos)

Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.