Author Topic: Where is Buckley Street in Manchester?  (Read 8687 times)

Offline SMIRMIR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Buckley Street in Manchester?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 April 10 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hey, cheers for that Eric.

Just been on. Belting map. Funny how you stumble across these things on the net. Small world.
Trying to trace the Bowles side of my family. Hope everything is going well with your research.

Nick

Offline cathaldus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 April 10 20:19 BST (UK) »
Ecclesiastical Parish of St. George is in Hulme,  Manchester.   The area starts at the end of Deansgate and would run along Chester Road.

Bill

Offline SMIRMIR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 April 10 21:46 BST (UK) »
Cheers for that Bill. Good to have as much information as possible. The maps that Eric sent the link to as been really helpful as well as it shows the whole area in really good detail. Good to compare it with modern day maps as well.

Nick

Offline shelley riley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 December 13 13:43 GMT (UK) »
I have a birth certificate for a great aunt born at 58 Buckley Street, Manchester on August 31, 1890.  My search for the location of Buckley Street has led me to your question regarding the same address.  As a result of all the responses you received to your request I have been able to locate this street on an old map.   The curious thing about this birth is that the father, at least, lived at a different address on Almond Street at the time of the birth.   Also this child died at the age of 4 months and while the address on the death certificate lists Almond Street, the record from the cemetery states Buckley Street.  Because you had a relative born there as well I'm wondering if 58 Buckley Street served as some kind of hospital in the area.   This address does not show up on the 1891 census so am unable to tell from that.   Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline Safari Steve

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi grungefrog, if I remember correctly Buckley Street, Bucknell Street and Birtle Street were just off Rochdale Road, Collyhurst. If you can make out the address on the top of the building in this photo I think it says 6 Buckley Street. I was born in one of those houses just behind the car at the bottom of the picture at 52 Birtle Street and my father was a good friend of a local decorator called Jimmy Walsh, could he be your grandfather.
Have a look through The Manchester Archives which is a brilliant site as there might be a better photo of Buckley Street than this photo courtesy of Manchester Archives.

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting picture.

Going past that spot now, it makes you wonder how they managed to build the houses in what is really a fairly steep valley.

If there was a vacant piece of land they built houses on it. Wonder how long before we go full circle and have to build houses there again.

Eric
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline olwen1965

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi i have just located my grandad and nannas address on 46 Buckley Street, manchester.  around 1932 their names elizabeth ann collinge (formally higham) and william henry collinge.my mum Beryl was their daughter .....  she was born 123 cresent road manchester which i assume to be crumpsall hospital.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 23:28 BST (UK) »
The St.George`s District you mention is indeed where Buckley St is( not to be confused with St George`s District, Hulme.)
This has appeared in an earlier query,the St George`s(church) you mention was demolished and re-built on Oldham Rd.
Irish Town was part of Angel Meadow,the biggest slum in a city of many slums.
Poor Irish people left Ireland during the great famine and settled in the poorest district where they could afford basicback to back ,one up and one down houses with a cellar  and an attic.
Even in such limited space multiple occupation was very common.
In John St.nearthe Lancs and Yorks railway viaduct off charter St,at number 10 there lived 19
people!
But I know people who lived in the area(my parents came from very close by)who had wonderful mums and who remembered a good happy family life  despite the poverty and dreadful circumstances.
The more Ifind out of my family`s poverty the prouder I am of them.
                                              Viktoria.