Author Topic: 1871 Census Darwen, Julius Whitehead  (Read 3955 times)

Offline brassbounder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1871 Census Darwen, Julius Whitehead
« on: Saturday 05 February 05 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Please could someone look up the Whitehead family in the 1871 census for me. Julius was actually born in Farnley, Leeds, and I'm really interested in where the family were living in Darwen/what Julius was doing for a living.

I have this information from 1881:

Julius WHITEHEAD   Head   M   Male   43   Leeds, York, England   Sanitray Pipe Manu (Emp 13 Men 4 Boys)     
 Martha C. WHITEHEAD   Wife   M   Female   42   Bingley, York, England       
 Laura WHITEHEAD   Daur   U   Female   16   Leeds, York, England   Assistant In Household Duties (Dom)     
 Earnest WHITEHEAD   Son      Male   14   Dewsbury, York, England   Errand Boy     
 Claud WHITEHEAD   Son      Male   12   Durwin, Lancashire, England   Scholar     
 Vernon WHITEHEAD   Son      Male   10   Durwin, Lancashire, England   Scholar     
 Lilly WHITEHEAD   Daur      Female   9   Durwin, Lancashire, England   Scholar     
 Lavine WHITEHEAD   Daur      Female   7   Durwin, Lancashire, England   Scholar     
 Clara WHITEHEAD   Daur      Female   5   Halifax, York, England   Scholar     
 Edith WHITEHEAD   Daur      Female   3   Halifax, York, England       

~~~~~~~~
Source Information:
  Dwelling   83 Southowram Bank
  Census Place Southowram, York, England
Armitage-Smith Meanwood Leeds
Whitehead-Holroyd Farnley/Wortley/Armley Leeds

Census information is Crown Copyright, transcribed by me.

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census Darwen, Julius Whitehead
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 February 05 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Is this them 1871 - 20 WaterY Lane, Sough? Bridge, Over Darwen

Margaret Hacking 17  Over Darwen, Lancashire, England Servant & Visitor 
Sarah Shoesmith 10  Leeds, Yorkshire, England Servant & Niece 
Claude Whitehead 2  Over Darwen, Lancashire, England Son 
Ernest Whitehead 4  Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England Son 
Julius Whitehead 33  Leeds, Yorkshire, England Head 
Laura Whitehead 6  Leeds, Yorkshire, England Daughter 
Martha C Whitehead 33  Bingley, Yorkshire, England Wife 
Vernon Whitehead 7 months  Over Darwen, Lancashire, England Son 
Vincent Whitehead 7 months  Over Darwen, Lancashire, England Son 

Julius is a Manager Sanitary Tube Works

RG10/4187
Folio:    94 
Page:    17

Regards
jonathan
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brassbounder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 February 05 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Jonathan, that looks to be spot on. But I haven't a clue who Miss Shoesmith is---that's a completely new surname to me. Martha's maiden name was Townend ???

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 February 05 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Have checked the census page and the surname looks correct.  Her occupation is noted as Nurse Girl.  Had a very quick look on the IGI and there is a Sarah Emily Shoesmith baptised 28 SEP 1862   Ilkley, York, Yorkshire, England, mother Rebecca, no father noted so possibly illegitimate ??  But as I say, I had a very quick look, so something else to research  ;D 

Also note that Vernon and Vincent are twins.

Good luck on your research.

Regards
Jonathan
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brassbounder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 February 05 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that was my first thought about Sarah Shoesmith. As you say, more research. I hadn't cottoned on that they were twins. Only Vernon appears in the 1881 census.

Apparently the C615 is Watery Lane, Redearth Road and Sough Road.

Jon

Offline brassbounder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 February 05 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Just for the record: She was Julius Whitehead's niece. His elder sister Frances shortened her name to Fanny and married a James Shoesmith at Leeds Parish Church in 1856, and the family is shown in the 1861 Farnley census.

Fanny, now a widow, and her three daughters are living back on the family farm in Farnley in 1881. I didn't spot this because of the name change and the fact that she is described as head of the household, so it looks like a separate entry from the Whiteheads---maybe they lived in the house next door or something.

Thanks for your help, Jonathan.

Jon

Offline Andrew.Whitehead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 February 05 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jon,

Just spotted this posting wrt Julius Whitehead with links to the Farnley area of Leeds.  I am currently researching another branch of Whitehead's in the Morley / Churwell districts of Leeds who may be linked to your thread since the first name Julius/Julias/Julian features through several generations - I am back to John Whitehead born c1780 (married Ruth Pickles 1804 in Leeds St Peter).  Are you back this far yourself, and if so does a John feature around this date in your research?

Thanks in anticipation.
Andrew
Whitehead in Leeds / Churwell / Morley areas of Yorkshire

Offline brassbounder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 February 05 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Andrew,

The Whiteheads of Farnley are my mother's family. This particular Julius (1) was my great grandfather's brother, so not in a direct line, but he is interesting for other reasons. He was born about 1838, probably at Moor Top, Farnley.

His father is another Julius, (2) born about 1799 in Farnley, married Jane Holdsworth in 1826 at Leeds Parish Church (St. Peter's). He was a farmer.

His father seems to have been yet another Julius, (3) born about 1755 also in Farnley, married Martha Huddlestone of Stanningley in 1797. His father does seem to have been called John, but I know no more about him yet.  Julius (3) was 42 when they married, so this could have been a second marriage. I have been unable to trace a first one, though.

I know the dates seem incredibly far apart, but Martha was still living at the time of the 1851 census, described as Julius (2)'s mother!

Family legend has it that the Whiteheads had lived in Farnley since at least the 1650s, the evidence being a large pewter plate stamped I W M (for John and Mary Whitehead) 1654 on the rim. I have seen it, it used to hang over my grandmother's mantelpiece.

There seem to have been an incredible number of Juliuses (Julii?). There's another one in Tong in the 1820s, (if you don't know the area that is probably nearer Moor Top than Moor Top is to Farnley), and also another one in 1762, also in Tong.

In addition, there was a Whitehead family living at Quarry Hill, Leeds, and maybe another Whitehead family in the town somewhere.

Sadly, I haven't come across any in Morley or Churwell, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your hunting.

Jon

Offline Andrew.Whitehead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 February 05 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Jon,

Thanks for such a detailed response.  If I ever come across any Farnley links, I will let you know.

Kind regards
Andrew
Whitehead in Leeds / Churwell / Morley areas of Yorkshire