Author Topic: Looking for Moultin  (Read 2558 times)

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Moultin
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 March 09 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,
Interesting to read your post. Tranent is near to Port Seton and I think my lot would have come from the same area but I just can't find Moultin or the Blackwater farm where the Gt Uncle Henry was supposed to have lived in 1900's. My lot as you can see in my previous post left Scotland in 1626 along with other follower's of Charles 1. Yours were a lot later but we all most probably come from the same Seton's. I have a Seton (Seaton, Sayton, Seatoun) family history purchased from Lincoln Cathedral with the same Coat of Arms, motto "Mean, Speak, and Doe Well" instead of "Hazard Yet Forward" but I prefer the later one.
Kind regards
Keith

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 March 09 23:36 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Imber that it could be Moulin parish in Perthshire that you are looking for. There are a lot of Stewarts and Setons there. Perthshire also has a river called the Blackwater.  If you look at maps of the Eastern highland area of Perthshire you will find that the Shee water which flows from Glenshee towards Blairgowrie becomes the Blackwater for a stretch before it joins the R. Ardle near Bridge of Cally to form the R. Ericht. I don't know of a house or farm called Blackwater, but would guess it might have been in that area.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 March 09 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Isabel,
Thanks for the information regarding Moulin & Blackwater. I will try looking on maps of the area again. Perhaps one day I will get a chance to visit the area even.
Regards
Keith

Offline snickersnee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
I agree that it might be Moulin Perthshire.  I have a lot of ancestors from there, and am particularly interested in the Setons that you mention, of whom I can find few references.

If you have any info about Seton/Seaton/Setton families in Moulin, Kirkmichael, or Blair Atholl, I would appreciate it.

Jean Frane
Miller (PA), Cribbs (PA), Schenck (NJ), Piggott (VA),
Trible (VA), Witham (Maine, Ohio), Hudson (VA),
Cloptom (VA), Fleming (VA), Michaux (France, VA)
Morgan (VA), Howden (Ireland), Bustard (Ireland),
Seaton (Scotland), Cameron (Scotland), Kennedy (Scotland), Forbes (Scotland), Reinhard/t (Baden, Minn), Buche (Switzerland), Fouquette (Quebec)