Author Topic: 11 Candleriggs, Alloa.  (Read 5415 times)

Offline rye470

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
11 Candleriggs, Alloa.
« on: Monday 24 November 08 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Can I pick someone's brain?

In the 1901 census I have a relative and her family living at 11 Candleriggs, Alloa.  Can anyone tell me what was at this address.  I'm pretty sure they didn't have a house large enough to accommodate the people listed at this address, so it must have been some  sort of Institution.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Christine.
Hamill - Co. Armagh/Renfrewshire.
Alexander  - Co.Tyrone/Lanarkshire.
McCulloch/McCullough - Co.Down/Lanarkshire.
Fyfe -Stirling/Clackmannanshire.
Binnie - Clackmannanshire.
Stewart - Perthshire.
McEwan - Perthshire.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Candleriggs, Alloa.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 November 08 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine

As far as I can see, there are only 9 persons of the ALLAN family specifically at  11 Candleriggs (household Schedule 332)

The others who form the long list of people once you look at a specific member of the ALLAN family, appear to be at a place called "West Vennel Com- Lodging House" or "Old Bridge St Lodging House" on Household Schedules 343, 344, 345 etc. Possibly they also are a continuation of the 11 Candleriggs address?

I can find no reference to it being an institution . One  would expect someone in that list to have a job in keeping with being an employee of an institution, but I found none, though I didn't look at everyone o the list   . Rather, I imagined  very probably the building at 11 Candleriggs was a large "apartment'/tenement type dwelling, split up into seperately rented or owned rooms /  (sets of rooms).  And that the Lodging house(s) also occupied a set of rooms in it - maybe a floor.

Then I found this which seems to support the theory - Here's a picture of the building - still set out as flats.
http://www.s1homes.com/buying/search/2008090415095727.shtml

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline mark_shanks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Agnes Shanks & Son James Shanks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 August 09 20:54 BST (UK) »
Then I found this which seems to support the theory - Here's a picture of the building - still set out as flats.
http://www.s1homes.com/buying/search/2008090415095727.shtml

Hi AMBLY, the photo of 11 Candleriggs that you have linked from the website above is a fairly new building, not more than 10 years old and may not be the original site that housed the large family in the 1901 census that Christine talks of.

The original buildings which were on the same site were pulled down to make way for the flats and shops/offices underneath which are on the photo on the website link.

The older buildings that were pulled down used to include the Co-Operative buildings. Candleriggs in Alloa stretches a wide distance though and the new 11 Candleriggs Row may not be the original 11 Candleriggs mentioned in the 1901 census.

West Vennel is still there and is the original buildings which would have been there in 1901. I'll get photos of the buildings next time i'm in Alloa. Next to West Vennel used to house the brewery which is now a mixture of shops and flats.

I live near Alloa, so I'll try and find out any more info on the original 11 Candleriggs back in 1901.  :)

Mark
Shanks (West Lothian & Stirlingshire)
Waugh (Falkirk & Larbert, Stirlingshire)
Monaghan (County Galway, Ireland)
Hynes (County Galway, Ireland)
Sands (Perthshire, Stirlingshire)
Barrett (Ayrshire, Lanarkshire)
McKeown (Lanarkshire)
Marjoribanks (Perthshire & Stirlingshire)
Frame (Falkirk & Larbert, Stirlingshire)
McAlpine (Lanarkshire, Perthshire & Stirlingshire)
Madden (Galway, Ireland)

Offline kalesha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 17:46 GMT (UK) »
i think back then they just made do ,iv found some families of 10 and then maybe 3 lodgers all in a 2 roomed house going back to the 60,s the only big building i seen in the candleriggs which was still standing at the time would have been the bookies no idea if that is what it always was or maybe rooms

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Christine

One of my relatives owned/occupied 13/15/17 Candleriggs shops were on the 1st floor residents were behind or above.  There was not a lot reasoning behind the number system.  I looked on the 1905 valuations which show owners/occupiers/tenants.  It shows a Kenneth Rennie at 11 which was a shop and 9 as his resident.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74478619 is an older 1863 map which at least gives you a perspective of what was there. 

When I was last (4 years ago), the brewery was still there (a pub I think), but the bulk of the buildings were newer builds with a supermarket taking up most of the west side of the block.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 February 16 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Christine,
     'Ambly' has already pointed out the different Household Schedule Numbers for the Allan family at 11 Candleriggs (No:342), various lodgers at West Vennel Com-Lodging House (No:343 & No:344) & various lodgers at Old Bridge St, common Lodging House (No:345)
     Looks like A*y has done it's usual speciality in running several addresses together as one!
     This OS 25 Inch, 1892-1905 Map from the National Library of Scotland (nls) shows Candleriggs & West Vennel as separate streets, so I assume the West Vennel Lodging House would be just round the corner from the Allan family at 11 Candleriggs.
          http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=56.1143&lon=-3.7912&layers=168
     Slide the blue Dot on the left of the screen for an up-to-date satellite overview of Alloa. Looks like the West Vennel has gone, although East Vennel on the opposite side of Candleriggs is still there.
               Regards,     Dod.

Added. Sorry DonM. Hadn't realised you'd already posted a map. I've tried Google maps, Street view, but Candleriggs seems closed to traffic.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."