Author Topic: RAF Squadrons--SkegnessWW11Completed  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
RAF Squadrons--SkegnessWW11Completed
« on: Monday 24 November 08 14:29 GMT (UK) »
I have a picture of my father Roderick Mann taken in 1941 with a group of RAF chaps.Written on the back is Skegness-11th Squadron 14 Flight. Is there anyone who knows anything about this group.My father as far as I know never flew but was sent to Gibralter in 1945. He always joked that he only flew in a Sunderland flying boat to GIb.He also seemed to spend a lot of time driving the military personel to the South Coast.
Thanks
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Squadrons--SkegnessWW11
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 November 08 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ringrose

It sounds like he has used shorthand for what was No. 11 Recruit Centre at RAF Skegness, which was where thousands of RAF men did their initial training. 14 Flight would have been his training group.

11 Squadron was in Africa in 1941.

Do you happen to have his service records so we cant see where he served?

Going to Gib by Sunderland wasn't unusual, though usually reserved for aircrew and VIPs. But by 1945, it would probably have become more common as the threat from air attack lessened.

K

Offline beady

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 November 08 19:30 GMT (UK) »
The recruit centre referred to was Butlins holiday camp - bet they didn't enjoy their Hi De Hi
Dring, Keightley, Lincs,  Davies, Stuckey, S Wales

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 November 08 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info.I only have the photograph unfortunately.I do have his tag (the one you wore round the neck)somewhere  in the house.I must see if Ican find it ---perhaps his service number will be on it.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline beady

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 13:45 GMT (UK) »
With his service number you will be able to get his service record and find out all his postings/training etc -- makes interesting reading.
Dring, Keightley, Lincs,  Davies, Stuckey, S Wales

Offline Katie Hiscock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Squadrons--SkegnessWW11Completed
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 November 17 15:51 GMT (UK) »
hello

there i cannot help with any info but i recently posted a forum aswell about my grandfathers RAF record and i am also looking for 11rc. ive been told it was a recuit centre in skegness this was definatly butlins ? or was that a joke hahah
katie H