Author Topic: Rev. James Hughes Thomas  (Read 9905 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Rev. James Hughes Thomas
« on: Tuesday 25 November 08 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Seeking to address a missing line to the David Rees of Haverfordwest (1758-1837) tree.

His daughter, Sarah Rees married Rev. James Hughes Thomas 13/7/1830 Haverfordwest, at St. Thomas, Haverfordwest.

Rev. Hughes has been linked with: St. Thomas, Molleston Baptist; Milford (North Road) Church; and Byron Street Baptist, Liverpool.
Possible children: James Thomas (1831-1831, Narbeth); Manning Thomas (1832-1833, Narbeth); Mary Lee Thomas (1833, Narbeth; and David Thomas (1834, Narbeth).

Rev. James Hughes Thomas died1861, Milford Haven; buried Molleston Baptist Church, 1861.

Sarah died 1877

Any helpers?

Keith Rees
Australia
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline Mad Moo

• RootsChat Extra
  • ****** MAM & DAD ******
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. James Hughes Thomas
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 10:27 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Hi Keith,

I live quite close to Milford Haven, my In-Laws were married in the Baptist Chapel on North Road.

Let me know what you need and I'll give it a go  :)

Claire xxxx
Jacob .....PEMBROKESHIRE, GLAMORGAN
James  .....PEMBROKESHIRE, AUSTRALIA
Davies  ......PEMBROKESHIRE, GLAMORGAN
Stevens ..... GWENT, DEVON, CORNWALL, AUSTRALIA
England ..... GWENT, DEVON, CORNWALL, AUSTRALIA
Griffiths........PEMBROKESHIRE, GLAMORGAN

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Mad Moo for your reply.

Rev. James Hughes Thomas married Sarah Rees of Derby/Green Hill farms of Haverfordwest. Her dad David Rees, also ran the Castle Inn (early 1800's).  The Rev was based at North Road Milford for a period (c1839), as well as Liverpool and Molleston Baptist Church, where he was buried. Known children were: James Thomas (1831-1831); Manning Thomas (1832-1833); Mary Lee (1833 - ?); and David Thomas (1834- ?). We have nothing of this family. The Manning and Lee are Rees names.

Will accept any assistance possible. With the assistance of people like yourself, Welshlady, Osprey and this RootsChat site, its likes like we have found relatives for Sarah's younger brother George Manning Rees of Pembroke, Dale, Haverfordwest and Fishguard.

Sarah is from a second marriage (I believe), Anne Self.

Keith Rees - Aus
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline sanmiles84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 February 09 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mad Moooooo,

I couldnt help but notice how friendly and helpful you are in helping people with their family history, its really great to see. I am living in Australia and i would like to know if there is anyway that you may be going to Llanwnda cemetery again, and if so, would it be ok for you to see a burial for me. I am hoping that there may be a photo option or some information about my Great, Great Grandfather who was buried there?

Name: John Miles
Date of burial: 27 Apr 1942

I hope that i hear from you soon,

Sandra :)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 February 09 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra and Mad Moo.

I noticed you reply  Sandra for Rev. James Hughes Thomas.

Does John Miles have a connection with the Rev. Thomas?  I have found that a David Thomas b. 1834 will have descendants, who descend from Rev. Thomas and second marriage to Sarah Rees. My next investigation.

I have also recently purchased two books: "Frank Harris" by Philippa Pullar and "Oscar Wilde" by Frank Harris. The author Frank Harris is really James Thomas Harris, the grand child of the Rev. James Hughes Thomas and a first wife with a Martha......

Keith Rees Aus

Offline sanmiles84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 February 09 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,

No i dont think that there is a connection.

Dear Mad Moooooooo,

I am not sure why, but i cannot reply to your personal messages that you have sent me, so i have to reply via this post? sorry for the inconvenience. I received your message to say that you will look into this for me on Thursday, and I really appreciate your help. Perhaps you could email me on my personal email: (*) so that i will be able to reply to you.

thank you :)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 February 09 13:28 GMT (UK) »
To RootsChat all contributors/ helpers:

I posted a help for the Rev. James Hughes Thomas in Lancashire, and a helper was able to supply that the Reverend was living in Beau Street, Everton with Sarah and some of his chn from the first marriage and children with Sarah Rees.

There is an issue with the child called Manning Thomas age 6 (1841 Census) as I believe that Manning Thomas was born 11/6/1832 Narberth and died 6/6/1833 Redstone, Moleston. However, a David Thomas was born 17/9/1834 Narbeth. If this child had a second name called Manning, and was called Manning instead of David, then that may match.

I will research the 1851 Census tomorrow, to see if I can find their location in Wales. This may clear up that child as he may be still a scholar at home.

Once again, thank you to ALL RootsChat contributors, and your willingness to assist.

Keith Aus

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 February 09 14:18 GMT (UK) »
To Mad Moooooo

May I now take you up on your offer of living so close to the North Road Baptist Church in Milford Haven and being of possible assistance.

I am now able to confirm that the Rev. James Hughes Thomas was the minister of this church in 1851, until his death 21 Dec 1861, and that he and his wife Sarah (nee Rees) lived at 14 Robert St. Milford in 1861.

A lady connected with the Baptist Church called Mrs. Grace Morris of 70 Mable Hall Road may be able to help me, but I would need an email address in order to forward what I have on this past Baptist Minister. Are you still able to call or contact her and pass my email address:

Keith Rees Aus

Offline Mad Moo

• RootsChat Extra
  • ****** MAM & DAD ******
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 March 09 08:37 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi Keith,

No probs mate, will pop and see her for you and pass on your info, hopefully she will be online.
If not I will act as the go-between.

Claire xxx
Jacob .....PEMBROKESHIRE, GLAMORGAN
James  .....PEMBROKESHIRE, AUSTRALIA
Davies  ......PEMBROKESHIRE, GLAMORGAN
Stevens ..... GWENT, DEVON, CORNWALL, AUSTRALIA
England ..... GWENT, DEVON, CORNWALL, AUSTRALIA
Griffiths........PEMBROKESHIRE, GLAMORGAN