Author Topic: Joseph SMITH Convict to Australia 2nd Fleet  (Read 11125 times)

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph SMITH Convict to Australia 2nd Fleet
« on: Tuesday 25 November 08 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Joseph SMITH b. c1773 ENG
Transported to NSW on "Neptune " 2nd Fleet
married Margaret Holmes b.c1774Eng. convict, 3rd Fleet in Windsor NSW Australia.
They had 4 children
Searching all family history

Joseph Smith buried on property St Albans NSW near Mc Donald River

Turramurra
HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline Robert Coble

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • crazy !!!! Crazy !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph SMITH Convict to Australia 2nd Fleet
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 22:32 GMT (UK) »

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Coble or Covell, Coule Australia, Canada, USA  @ England.
Barker Australia @ England
Walker Australia, England @ South America.
Bristol Australia @ England.
Nash Australia @ England.

Offline Wotname

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 September 11 05:18 BST (UK) »
Turramurra, Joseph was my g-g-g-grandfather by direct descent; I'd like to share more info with you if possible. Are you related? Do you by any chance have a photo of his grave?

I know little beyond the Old Bailey record and that he was from St Clement Danes [*edited 6/10] probably from London; have you found any prior history, e.g. birth record, parents?

Andrea

Offline KASmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea I am also direct decent from Joseph Smith convict 1776-1856 my father is Joseph Smith son of Frank Smith son of Joseph Smith etc. I also have not been able to track any details before trial. I see that you have found out where he came from in England which is more than I have been able to find. I am also trying to sort out which children were from his marriage to Margaret Mary Holmes and which children were from her previous three partners. I do not think she was married to the others. I am trying to find out where a search could be made as to his parents etc.

Offline Wotname

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 October 11 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, KASmith -

Firstly, you may notice that I've had to edit my first post: on checking I found that I'd confused Joseph with his long-term friend (also from the 'Neptune') William Baker. Joseph's son William married William Baker's daughter Elizabeth. (The families were also linked when William Baker jnr married Mary Ann Smith!)

Now, you say in your post 'my father is Joseph Smith son of Frank Smith son of Joseph Smith etc.' I'm not sure which generation you've gone back to; is that Frank a son of Joseph Smith jnr & Mary Hannabus?

Concerning Margaret Holmes: I have an extract from the book 'William Baker, Gentleman', which states:
...the transport Mary Ann...sailed from England 16th February 1791 and arrived Port Jackson 9th July 1791, having on board 150 female convicts of whom 9 died on the passage. Of those who survived, one Margaret Holmes was later to become the wife of Joseph Smith and to officially bear him three children, two of whom were to marry children of William Baker.

This suggests that Margaret bore three children to Joseph Smith, but she certainly had at least one other before that. The web site <www.easystreetretreat.com.au> has more info about Margaret, and quotes from C J Smee's 'Third Fleet Families of Australia' (I'd love a copy!): 'During the voyage or shortly afterwards, Margaret and a seamen named Morrison conceived a child born 28 Apr 1792 at Sydney Cove named William.'

There is more info again on the 'SMITH-HOLMES' web page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~allansmyth49/smith_holmes_family_page.htm
And two other partners mentioned were William SMITH (by whom she apparently had a son and a daughter), and Patrick SHANNON (By whom she had another son).

I've not verified any of the above - not even sure how much is verifiable! - only the three that Margaret bore Joseph Smith.

So, I'm not able as yet to shed much more light on the familes. Do you know much about their life in Australia?

Offline KASmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 October 11 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Wotname,
Many thanks for your very helpful info. It has taken me a while to sort these contacts and I must say I am still working on it. The issue seems to be that Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes had children before they were officially married. ie there was Elizabth Smith born 1802, Joseph Smith 1804, William smith 1809, Mary Ann Smith 1811, Sarah Smith 1811 and James Henry Smith 1813. This makes 6 children possibly coming from this partnership. I will have to do more research to see if this is true.
Yes, my gggg grandfather was the Joseph Smith convict 2nd fleet and my father (Joseph Smith) is the child of Frank Smith and Jane Lewis.  Frank Smith was the son of Joseph Smith 1804 and Mary Hannabus. I am about to receive all the heritage and family tree information compiled by my 101 year old aunty Linda Smith daughter of Frank. When it arrives I will be able to list a lot more information for you about their life in Australia.
KASmith:)

Offline Wotname

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 October 11 05:12 BST (UK) »
Just one correction here, KASmith: Elizabeth (b. 1802) was probably Joseph's daughter, but was not Margaret's; at that tme Margaret was with someone else -- either William SMITH (not connected to us) or Patrick SHANNON. The general opinion, with no evidence to the contrary, is that Elizabeth's mother was an Aboriginal woman.

I only have definite info about three offspring from Joseph & Margaret: Joseph (1804-1856), William (1809-1881), and Mary Ann (1811-1912) -- but I have no birth certificates as proof, just the NSW BDM listings.

Have just arrived at our next house-sit, so won't have much time for a few days; will keep looking, though!  ;))

Cheers -- Andrea

Offline Maddo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 October 12 12:52 BST (UK) »
I am decended from a John Smith for whom we only have few records- Father: Joseph; b about 1807; m Sarah Sisley 4 Sept 1840 in Bathurst; chn Martha, John, Elizabeth, Fanny and Thomas; lived in Orange or Molong area when married; d 2 May 1896. This seems really similar to the story of Elizabeth in that there is no mother listed. We have also wondered about John having an Aboriginal mother. Does anyone have any clues as to whether John could be Elizabeth's sister or if there was a John in Joseph's complicated family?
Thanks.

Offline JessicaF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 April 18 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi KA Smith,

I realise it's been a really long time since this thread was commented on but I was hoping you might be able to help me out with some information regarding Rex Lewis Smith the son of Frank Lewis Smith if you don't mind please?