Author Topic: Ainsworth/Long lost branch  (Read 5042 times)

Offline moikel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ainsworth/Long lost branch
« on: Wednesday 26 November 08 02:14 GMT (UK) »
I found my great great grandad Henry Ainsworth after much searching .He was a farm bailiff at Shropshire House in Alveley,married to Leah Crowther with 5 kids as at 1871.His youngest son Abraham(my great granddad) was shipped off to Australia in 1883& told not to come back!We dont know what he did but he was educated & has a number of descendants who are curious about where he was from.His brothers were William,Edward& Richard there was also a sister Amelia.His family arent recorded in Alveley in the records after or before 1871,so I assume  they came from elsewhere .I can find Ainsworths but cant get a lead on Henry.Theres a really big clan in northern NSW,they have the family reunion at Kempsy showground !We used to get a lot of enquiries from other Ainsworths who came from Yorkshire & elsewhere but always assumed we werent related because we thought our origins were Shropshire.I am hoping to solve the mystery while my father & his 2 sisters are still alive,they are all in their 80s.Abraham had a barbershop in Narrandera NSW, its still trading in the same premises under the same name with a descendant 121years on.If anybody could help me get sideways to Abrahams siblings line or back beyond Henry dob 1821 I would be very gratefull. MICK

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ainsworth/Long lost branch
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mick,

My wife spent half the day at Shropshire Archives looking at this AINSWORTH family for you.
It will be the weekend before I can type up all the information but a brief summary is;

Henry & Leah AINSWORTH had at least eleven other children apart from your great granddad Abraham. Christening details later.
Henry was one of eight children of William AINSWORTH of Broseley and Ann nee BRAWN of Bridgnorth. Christening details later.
We have the marriage details of Henry & Leah and William & Ann. Also the family on the 1851 & 1861 census.

Gwynne Chadwick.
Transcribing the Bridgnorth town census and other records.
http://www.chadwickg.freeserve.co.uk/bridgcen.htm

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moikel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 November 08 04:52 GMT (UK) »
You just made my Xmas !

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 November 08 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Here is most of the information my wife found at Shropshire Archives last week, in the time available, on your AINSWORTH family.

Marriage at Acton Round on 15 April 1807.
William AINSWORTH to Ann BRAWN.

They Christened eight children at Acton Round.
William 17 Jan 1808, Samuel 22 Oct 1809, Eliza 17 Nov 1811, Ann 15 May 1814, Henry 2 June 1816, Mary Elizabeth 10 Oct 1819, Jane 4 Nov 1821, Emma 26 June 1827.

Marriage at Stoke St. Milborough on 20 Jan 1846.
Henry AINSWORTH and Leah CROTHER

Children Christened by Henry AINSWORTH and Leah.
Catherine Leah, 5 July 1846 at Acton Round.
Next eight Christened at Stoke St. Milborough. Henry’s occupation stated as a Farmer of Bank.
Henry 22 July 1849, Samuel 10 Nov 1850, Ann 23 Oct 1852, Leah 7 July 1854, William Thomas 9 May 1856, Edward 23 Nov 1857, Richard 5 March 1859, Eliza 10 May 1860.
Next child Christened at Much Wenlock. Henry’s occupation stated as Farmer of Beggarley Brook. Emma 13 Oct 1861.
Christening of Abraham and Amelia (listed on the 1871 census) not found.

Burial of Catherine Leah AINSWORTH of Bank, at Stoke St. Milborough on 17 May 1847, age 2 yrs.

Samuel AINSWORTH, chr. 1850, may have married an Elizabeth. That couple Christened a daughter Ellen on 4 Jan 1873 at Stoke St. Milborough. Samuel was a Farmer of The Wool.

Henry, chr. 1849, had an uncle Samuel AINSWORTH, chr. 1809. He married Ann.
From my own transcript of the Monumental Inscriptions at Acton Round church (available from Shropshire Family History Society)
“In affectionate remembrance of Ann daughter of Samuel and Ann AINSWORTH of Spoonhill who died November 8 1841 aged 8 months. Joel AINSWORTH eldest son of the above who died November 3 1861 aged 19 years.”

From the transcript of the Monumental Inscriptions at Monkhopton church (available from Shropshire Family History Society)
Samuel AINSWORTH, Weston, Late of Spoonhill d. 10 Sept 1877 in the 68th year of his age. Also Anne relict of the above d. 25 Nov 1896 aged 88.

On the 1851 census for Acton Round, you will see William AINSWORTH was from Broseley and his wife Ann (nee BRAWN) was from Bridgnorth.

On the 1861 census for Stoke St. Milborough, you will see Henry AINSWORTH was from Acton Round and his wife Leah (nee CROTHER) was from Stoke St. Milborough.
Perhaps others members would like to provide the full transcripts.

Gwynne.
Transcribing the Bridgnorth town census and other records.
http://www.chadwickg.freeserve.co.uk/bridgcen.htm

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 11:21 BST (UK) »
There is a Sophia Ainsworth baptised Alveley Church in 1888 - daughter of Samuel & Eliza
Hope it helps ! :)

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 April 12 13:59 BST (UK) »
Henry Ainsworth aged 19 ( son of Henry Ainsworth of Alveley) drowned in the River Severn in 1868
Reported in the Birmingham Daily Post 20th July 1868

Offline Robyn Klein

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi, are you still working on your family free? I am the grand daughter of Annie Warder Ainsworth.